Holy Rule for Feb. 24

    Message 1 of 53 , Feb 23, 2009

      Prayers, please, for Anthony, that he can get back to a regular prayer schedule.

      Prayers, too, for a Teen Retreat upcoming and that more teens will sign up for it.

      Prayers for S's daughter, court appearance she needs to go well.

      Prayers, please, for vocations to St. Mary's Monastery and to Pluscarden Abbey
      and all our respective monasteries. Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      The order of psalmody for the day Hours being thus arranged,
      let all the remaining Psalms be equally distributed
      among the seven Night Offices
      by dividing the longer Psalms among them
      and assigning twelve Psalms to each night.

      We strongly recommend, however,
      that if this distribution of the Psalms is displeasing to anyone,
      she should arrange them otherwise,
      in whatever way she considers better,
      but taking care in any case
      that the Psalter with its full number of 150 Psalms
      be chanted every week
      and begun again every Sunday at the Night Office.
      For those monastics show themselves too lazy
      in the service to which they are vowed,
      who chant less than the Psalter with the customary canticles
      in the course of a week,
      whereas we read that our holy Fathers
      strenuously fulfilled that task in a single day.
      May we, lukewarm that we are, perform it at least in a whole week!

      REFLECTION

      I am going to begin this by reprinting two paragraphs of very
      important qualifications from the last post on this chapter.

      "I hasten to add a word of caution to Oblates here: the Holy Rule is
      referring to the choral Office in monasteries. To undertake for oneself
      such an Office could well be unwise, and sometimes, even wrong. The
      conditions of one's state in life come first. Oblates who are parents
      or married have kept Vigils and Nocturns with sick children or
      spouses of which professed monastics would never dream. Don't get
      hung up on this one. SHARE the Office all you can, but tend first to
      the responsibilities of your state in life.

      Before I became a monk I used to OCCASIONALLY do all 150 Psalms
      alone. There were two things worthy of mention here: I was a single
      man with one (very loving!) cat, and I recited them. Even at that, I
      can assure you it took up a chunk of time. Hence, Oblates should take
      great care that they don't obsess on this notion. Do what you can and
      rest assured that your community, and the Order and the whole praying
      Church is more then "making up" whatever you can't offer."

      Several years ago, the guesthouse well died (temporarily, thanks
      be to God!) We had to gather 10 gallon plastic buckets for each
      bathroom, haul them down the hill to the monastery in the station
      wagon, fill them and bring them back. What a hassle! We also had to
      caution the guests rather indelicately about unnecessary flushes.
      Even more recently, a storm and left us without electricity for
      about twelve hours. Afraid to open the fridge too much and with no oven,
      we ordered pizza in Athol for the guests.

      Both of these things were tough, but neither were anything compared
      to the amount of labor required to maintain life in the first
      centuries of the Order's existence. Neither were there lay brothers
      to do all that work in those days, since they were a much later
      development. No electricity, no indoor plumbing, no running water, no
      phones, no Athol House of Pizza to call and no car to pick it up in.
      (OK aqueducts in some places, but you get the picture...) In the
      midst of a life that we would find crushingly different, St. Benedict
      insisted on the weekly 150. Hmmmm......

      Every day, well before Mass, I can send this message out to 1,600
      people all over the world with no effort beyond editing and typing the
      prayer requests. Think of what a mailing to 1,600 would entail before
      computers.

      We live in a world where countless labor-saving devices and perks
      give us far more time than anyone in history has ever had. Are we
      always good stewards of that abundance? Heaven knows, I don't want to
      give up those modern advantages, look at how hooked on computers I
      am. But what do we do with all that time? How much of the time we
      save goes to prayer? How much goes to mindless stuff we could well do
      without?

      Message 53 of 53 , Mar 13, 2009

        Prayers, please for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

        Dave, recurrent prostate cancer, seeing oncologist on the 18th, and for Elaine, his wife.

        Tom, upper erosive esophagitus, a stomach ulcer and hiatal hernia. The current meds are
        not helping the problem. Seeing doctor today.

        Joyce, who had surgery and several organs are filled with cancer.
        The family needs prayers as it is very hard for them to deal with the diagnosis.

        Carol, undergoing surgery to repair leg tendons on Thursday... for a safe operation, and a quick, comfortable, and complete recovery.

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Doris, who has gone to God, for all her family and all who mourn her.

        Let the brethren serve one another, and let no one be excused from
        the kitchen service
        except by reason of sickness or occupation in some important work.
        For this service brings increase of reward and of charity. But let
        helpers be provided for the weak ones, that they may not be
        distressed by this work; and indeed let everyone have help, as
        required by the size of the community or the circumstances of the
        locality. If the community is a large one,
        the cellarer shall be excused from the kitchen service; and so also
        those whose occupations are of greater utility, as we said above.
        Let the rest serve one another in charity.

        The one who is ending his week of service shall do the cleaning on
        Saturday. He shall wash the towels with which the brethren wipe
        their hands and feet; and this server who is ending his week, aided
        by the one who is about to begin, shall wash the feet of all the
        brethren. He shall return the utensils of his office to the
        cellarer clean and in good condition,
        and the cellarer in turn shall consign them to the incoming server,
        in order that he may know what he gives out and what he receives
        back.

        REFLECTION

        I know some houses have moved away from having table waiters, but
        something is lost in that. We have cafeteria style first portions
        here, then the waiter goes around to offer seconds and clears the
        dishes. It isn't a really big deal, but it does have a great reward,
        as the Holy Rule points out. Because we are a small community, only
        8, everyone, even the Superior takes a turn at waiting.

        Formerly, in some houses (maybe in all, but I am not sure,) the
        Abbot would wait tables on Holy Thursday. There was a nice
        connection there: he who held the place of Christ waited on all on
        the feast of the Last Supper, and washed the feet of twelve in
        Church that day.

        The connection here is personalist. Waiting on people connects you
        very much to them, as any waiter could tell you. Restaurants may
        not pursue that connection to any depth, but a home situation, like
        a monastery, surely does. There's a great notion here for Oblates
        who
        do not live alone: take turns waiting. We can get slumped into Dad
        or Mom or husband or wife always being waiter or waited upon.
        Switch off, care for each other, in this and many, many other ways!

        There are tons of ways of serving another, serving each other, that
        have nothing at all to do with tables or dining. There are many,
        many, equivalent forms of foot-washing. Hunt for them diligently and
        practice them with deep love!