Holy Rule for Feb. 10 and 11

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2009
      I accidentally sent the 10th with just prayer intentions, both readings are here. Sorry I misssed yesterday and Happy St. Scholastica day to all! JL

      Lord, help us
      all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      Chapter 8: On the Divine Office During the Night

      In the winter time,
      that is from the Calends of November until Easter,
      the sisters shall rise
      at what is calculated to be the eighth hour of the night,
      so that they may sleep somewhat longer than half the night
      and rise with their rest completed.
      And the time that remains after the Night Office
      should be spent in study
      by those sisters who need a better knowledge of the Psalter
      or the lessons.

      From Easter to the aforesaid Calends of November,
      the hour of rising should be so arranged that the Morning Office,
      which is to be said at daybreak,
      will follow the Night Office after a very short interval,
      during which they may go out for the necessities of nature.

      REFLECTION

      Two very human glimpses into the personality of St. Benedict here. He
      is thoughtful and kind, making sure the monastics have time for a
      bathroom run and he is not prudish about mentioning it. It's part of
      the human and part of family life. As casually as a mother asks young
      children if anybody "has to go" before a trip, he throws out mention
      of the fact that not everyone could make it through two long services
      without great discomfort!

      The tender concern of a loving parent comes through loud and clear
      here. St. Benedict is well aware that he is not setting up a spa
      resort, but he also wants the monastics living by his ascetic regime
      to live in the reasonable comfort of moderation. "Reasonable," that
      is, in accord with reason; and "comfort" that is, to strengthen,
      literally, with strength.

      Some monastic reforms have missed the boat on this one! Certain
      accounts of the early monks of La Trappe seem like nothing more than
      travelogues of grim, gloomy, resigned penitential excess. It's not
      supposed to be easy, ( and it isn't!) but being a monastic isn't
      supposed to be ALL gritted teeth, either. We Benedictines need, as
      Hopkins put it: "room to let joy size."!

      So, yeah, let them sleep enough, but not too much. And after they've
      been chanting in Church for a good long while, give 'em all a
      bathroom break. This is not the program of a heartless, joyless,
      unloving taskmaster!

      Chapter 9: How Many Psalms Are to Be Said at the Night Office

      In winter time as defined above,
      there is first this verse to be said three times:
      "O Lord, open my lips,
      and my mouth shall declare Your praise."
      To it is added Psalm 3 and the "Glory be to the Father,"
      and after that Psalm 94 to be chanted with an antiphon
      or even chanted simply.
      Let the Ambrosian hymn follow next,
      and then six Psalms with antiphons.
      When these are finished and the verse said,
      let the Abbot give a blessing;
      then, all being seated on the benches,
      let three lessons be read from the book on the lectern
      by the brethren in their turns,
      and after each lesson let a responsory be chanted.
      Two of the responsories are to be said
      without a "Glory be to the Father"
      but after the third lesson
      let the chanter say the "Glory be to the Father,"
      and as soon as he begins it let all rise from their seats
      out of honor and reverence to the Holy Trinity.

      The books to be read at the Night Office
      shall be those of divine authorship,
      of both the Old and the New Testament,
      and also the explanations of them which have been made
      by well known and orthodox Catholic Fathers.

      After these three lessons with their responsories
      let the remaining six Psalms follow,
      to be chanted with "Alleluia."
      After these shall follow the lesson from the Apostle,
      to be recited by heart,
      the verse
      and the petition of the litany, that is "Lord, have mercy on us."
      And so let the Night Office come to an end.

      REFLECTION

      Keeping Vigils is one of the things monastics do and have done from
      time immemorial. Monasteries are structured to make that possible.
      Things that are never easy are at least possible in monasteries
      because everything has been geared toward that end.

      Oblates in the world may sometimes express regret that they cannot
      keep the whole monastic Office, but let me assure you, there are
      Vigils kept by Oblates of which monastics have no clue. Sure, it's
      hard to get up in the dark and say 14 psalms, but monastics need
      never face the harder, lonelier Vigils spent beside a desperately ill
      spouse or child. They need not face the terror of long insomniac
      nights of financial dread and worry, which compounds when one
      realizes that oversleeping might cost one one's job. The vocations in
      which Oblates find themselves often more than compensate for whatever
      asceticism one might find in a cloister!

      But, you see, that is how it ought to be: all the graces we need for
      holiness, for sainthood, are built right into our situations. The
      monk need not long for parenthood, nor the parent for the cloister.
      Each vocation is different and appropriately varied, but every
      vocation carries within it exactly the mercy and the means of grace which
      God knew from all eternity would be most perfect for us.

      We must train ourselves with great care to really will whatever God wills
      for us. This is different from merely passive acceptance. This is actually
      wanting whatever God sends out of deep faith that it is tailored flawlessly
      to our best growth in holiness. The best book ever written on this practice,
      in my opinion, is "Abandonment to Divine Providence", by Father Jean-Pierre
      de Caussade, SJ. I heartily recommend it and it is still in print after
      several
      centuries, a real classic! Great Lenten reading!

      Never, ever think that a night spent sleepless for a sick child
      doesn't count as many, many, MANY Vigils! Benedictines live and
      thrive in all manner of environments today, and some of the best of
      them are not in choir in the wee hours, but that matters absolutely
      not at all!