June 13

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13 5:10 AM

      A blessed feast of Saint Anthony of Padua to all! He is one of my old
      favorites!

      Prayers, please, for Lynn, serious cancer, and for her husband. They
      are not people of faith and need a lot of prayers just now. Also for
      Richard, husband and father who was seriously injured in a motorcycle
      accident, and for Rick, very serious lung cancer, and for his wife,
      Linda. Thanks so much! God's Will is best! NRN JL

      February 12, June 13, October 13
      Chapter 10: How the Night Office Is to Be Said in Summer Time

      From Easter until the Calends of November
      let the same number of Psalms be kept as prescribed above;
      but no lessons are to be read from the book,
      on account of the shortness of the nights.
      Instead of those three lessons
      let one lesson from the Old Testament be said by heart
      and followed by a short responsory.
      But all the rest should be done as has been said;
      that is to say that never fewer than twelve Psalms
      should be said at the Night Office,
      not counting Psalm 3 and Psalm 94.

      REFLECTION

      The gentleness of St. Benedict, his considerate thoughtfulness is
      again apparent here. Another lesson comes to mind, as well. The
      Office is important, but it revolves WITH us to a certain extent. It
      is the axis our day turns on, but that axis may be shortened by the
      season. There are circumstances under which even the Work of God
      itself changes for us.

      The message here is very clear. To all prima donnas and divas, of
      either sex, who think the Office revolves around their own choral
      fantasies, get a life! The Office revolves around the Son and the
      sun, and your identity with either remains seriously in doubt. To all
      amateur musicians (or even pros with bad manners,) who terrorize
      their brothers or sisters in the name of perfectionism, lighten up!
      To any of said groups who claim that Benedictinism justifies their
      antics, you're dead wrong. It doesn't.

      Two quotes I love come to mind. One was from the late Abbot Alfred of
      Pluscarden, who said: "The monastery is no place for an amateur
      musician." The other is from G. K. Chesterton:
      "The artistic temperament is a disease which afflicts amateurs."