Dec. 19: O Root of Jesse

    Message 1 of 228 , Dec 19, 2008

      "O Root of Jesse, You stand for an ensign of mankind; before You
      kings shall keep silence, and to You all nations shall have recourse.
      Come and save us and do not delay."

      Isaiah prophesied the destruction of Judah and of David's kingdom.
      However a stock, a root, a stump, if you will, would remain, the root
      of Jesse, David's father. From that stock a sprout would burst forth
      which would be more than David, Whose power and esteem would be
      greater than that of the former kingdom.

      Those of us living in the north can well appreciate this image.
      Winter comes, long winter, and nothing visible of a perennial's
      splendor remains. Hidden in the earth, the life, the promise waits in
      the roots for spring. One clips the ugly remnant to the ground and
      awaits the resurgence in the coming Spring. There was a long winter
      of centuries for Jesse's Root, but, when its Spring came it flowered
      forth Christ, the Messiah.

      When Christ appears, He is, like the first sprigs of spring growth,
      much smaller than the tree which had been felled, and seemingly
      weaker and more vulnerable, yet His power and scope is far, far
      greater than that of those who preceded Him. Just as in the
      gentleness/strength contrast of ordering all things mightily and
      sweetly, here the apparent weakness, smallness and vulnerability of a
      new shoot is the embodiment of the greatest power imaginable. Jesus
      IS God, but He comes in vesture that hardly brings to mind a power
      broker. It is the topsy-turviness of the Gospel paradox.

      This tender Sprig is actually an ensign for the nations, a rallying
      flag for all peoples and it is so in a way that the mighty tree of a
      kingdom which came first could never have hoped to be. Whatever may
      have been the temporary influence and prestige of Israel's kings, it
      was nothing compared to what is promised here.

      What we translate as "nations" and Latin renders as "gentes" had a
      very different significance for the Hebrews. By that term, they
      really meant "Gentiles" everyone who was not Jewish which, of course,
      included every nation- all the nations- other than themselves. Hence,
      this term, easily missed as innocuous in English or Latin, is far
      from it. It speaks directly to opening the promise of God's salvation
      to ALL peoples, to the New Israel which is the Body of Christ, whose
      membership is potentially the entire world. The tiny Branch will
      break down walls and barriers.

      This is the first day we add some special urgency to our daily plea
      of "come!" We add: "and do not delay." The most casual glance at the
      world's leaders and the state of things today will reveal that the
      fullness of the Messiah's role as a rallying point for all, before
      Whom all rulers shall be silent, is hardly just around the corner. We
      affirm that by our urgency, by begging Him to hurry!

      A final Benedictine aside, which I think plays so well with the
      imagery of this antiphon may be found in a popular symbol for Monte
      Cassino. The great abbey, so often destroyed in its long history, is
      depicted as the stump of a huge and mighty tree, with a tender green
      shoot growing from its center. The Latin motto which accompanies the
      image is "Succisa Virescit" that is, "Cut down, it grows back."

      Message 228 of 228 , Jan 19, 2009

        Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Br. Tobias, OSB, for his monastic community, his family and for all who mourn him.

        Please pray that the US Congress and the new administration will respect all human life, from conception till natural death.

        To fear the Day of Judgment.
        To be in dread of hell.
        To desire eternal life with all the passion of the spirit.
        To keep death daily before one's eyes.
        To keep constant guard over the actions of one's life.
        To know for certain that God sees one everywhere.
        When evil thoughts come into one's heart, to dash them against Christ
        immediately.
        And to manifest them to one's spiritual mother.
        To guard one's tongue against evil and depraved speech.
        Not to love much talking.
        Not to speak useless words or words that move to laughter.
        Not to love much or boisterous laughter.
        To listen willingly to holy reading.
        To devote oneself frequently to prayer.
        Daily in one's prayers, with tears and sighs, to confess one's past
        sins to God, and to amend them for the future.
        Not to fulfil the desires of the flesh; to hate one's own will.
        To obey in all things the commands of the Abbess, even though she
        herself (which God forbid) should act otherwise, mindful of the
        Lord's precept, "Do what they say, but not what they do."
        Not to wish to be called holy before one is holy; but first to be
        holy, that one may be truly so called.

        REFLECTION

        The first four on today's list are not very palatable to many modern
        ears, but, like all of the Instruments of Good Works, they are
        important, they are interrelated and each one helps one fulfill the
        others. Arguably, one could say that the focus of the first four is
        the fifth: "To keep constant guard over the actions of one's life."

        We have largely "gotten over" dreading Judgment. We went from a
        paralyzing, Jansenistic, scrupulous fear of it right into a smug
        assurance that everyone passes the test with honors. Well, there's got to
        be truth hidden between those two false extremes somewhere!

        I know, beyond any doubt that I shall be both delighted and very,
        very embarrassed and ashamed to meet God face to face, to find that
        my faith has been confirmed. Ah, joy at the confirmation, but oh,
        crushing shame at the simultaneous confirmation of how very far short
        of Him I have fallen, through choice, through laziness, through
        negligence, through sin.

        One can dread that realization without thinking that God is some
        intrinsically mean sort, just waiting for one to trip up, hunting for the
        slightest loophole to nail us. Quite the opposite is the truth! God's awesome
        Divine Mercy seeks every possible way to bring us to Himself and
        His rewards of bliss. Every possible way!!

        Let us admit that we have been all too good at tripping
        on our own: God has no need to duplicate services there! Fearing
        judgment is part and parcel of knowing who we are. We have all
        sinned. And I know I have failed faith, hope and love, again and again
        and again, usually with no more excuse than selfishness.

        We keep goals in sight while training. Forget the Olympic gold and
        you will quite likely forget why you are training so hard. For us,
        between now and the "Olympics" of death, it is only the training that
        matters. It is also good to recall that, as Benedictines, our goal is
        NOT simply to "pass", but to stand on the podium.

        That's not because we are any better, it is only because
        we ourselves have added great holiness to our goal. Why else embrace
        the Rule? Keeping "death daily before our eyes," we are ALWAYS at
        the Olympics, thanks to our vow of conversion of manner of life, we
        are daily in training, every minute, in fact.

        All of these four lead to the fifth, keeping guard over one's
        actions, or mindfulness. Here is a great connection between the
        Benedictine way and the Buddhist way.

        The Buddhists have a saying that monastics can preach a sermon just
        by the way they walk. That's what the care of mindfulness can do!
        Just wait till we get to the 12th degree of humility, which says that
        the monastics' humility will shine through their outward appearance,
        whether walking or sitting or working or praying.