Dec. 19: O Root of Jesse

    Message 1 of 237 , Dec 19, 2008
      +PAX

      "O Root of Jesse, You stand for an ensign of mankind; before You
      kings shall keep silence, and to You all nations shall have recourse.
      Come and save us and do not delay."

      Isaiah prophesied the destruction of Judah and of David's kingdom.
      However a stock, a root, a stump, if you will, would remain, the root
      of Jesse, David's father. From that stock a sprout would burst forth
      which would be more than David, Whose power and esteem would be
      greater than that of the former kingdom.

      Those of us living in the north can well appreciate this image.
      Winter comes, long winter, and nothing visible of a perennial's
      splendor remains. Hidden in the earth, the life, the promise waits in
      the roots for spring. One clips the ugly remnant to the ground and
      awaits the resurgence in the coming Spring. There was a long winter
      of centuries for Jesse's Root, but, when its Spring came it flowered
      forth Christ, the Messiah.

      When Christ appears, He is, like the first sprigs of spring growth,
      much smaller than the tree which had been felled, and seemingly
      weaker and more vulnerable, yet His power and scope is far, far
      greater than that of those who preceded Him. Just as in the
      gentleness/strength contrast of ordering all things mightily and
      sweetly, here the apparent weakness, smallness and vulnerability of a
      new shoot is the embodiment of the greatest power imaginable. Jesus
      IS God, but He comes in vesture that hardly brings to mind a power
      broker. It is the topsy-turviness of the Gospel paradox.

      This tender Sprig is actually an ensign for the nations, a rallying
      flag for all peoples and it is so in a way that the mighty tree of a
      kingdom which came first could never have hoped to be. Whatever may
      have been the temporary influence and prestige of Israel's kings, it
      was nothing compared to what is promised here.

      What we translate as "nations" and Latin renders as "gentes" had a
      very different significance for the Hebrews. By that term, they
      really meant "Gentiles" everyone who was not Jewish which, of course,
      included every nation- all the nations- other than themselves. Hence,
      this term, easily missed as innocuous in English or Latin, is far
      from it. It speaks directly to opening the promise of God's salvation
      to ALL peoples, to the New Israel which is the Body of Christ, whose
      membership is potentially the entire world. The tiny Branch will
      break down walls and barriers.

      This is the first day we add some special urgency to our daily plea
      of "come!" We add: "and do not delay." The most casual glance at the
      world's leaders and the state of things today will reveal that the
      fullness of the Messiah's role as a rallying point for all, before
      Whom all rulers shall be silent, is hardly just around the corner. We
      affirm that by our urgency, by begging Him to hurry!

      A final Benedictine aside, which I think plays so well with the
      imagery of this antiphon may be found in a popular symbol for Monte
      Cassino. The great abbey, so often destroyed in its long history, is
      depicted as the stump of a huge and mighty tree, with a tender green
      shoot growing from its center. The Latin motto which accompanies the
      image is "Succisa Virescit" that is, "Cut down, it grows back."

      Message 237 of 237 , May 25 3:13 PM

        +PAX

        Prayers for the safe release of Fr. Chito and 13 others held hostage by militants in Marawi, Philippines. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of the police chief there, who was beheaded, and for his family and all who mourn him. Prayers for the conversion and repentance of his killers and all the attackers. Prayers for all those affected in any way and for peace in this troubled region.

        Prayers for our Sr. Christine, whose 20th anniversary of solemn vows was yesterday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

        Sue asked prayers for all who suffer hearing loss.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. John Brioux, OMI, and for his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Peter D’Alesandre, and for his family and all who mourn him, especially Rachel.

        Lord, help us all as You know
        praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Holy Scripture, brethren, cries out to us, saying,
        "Everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled,
        and he who humbles himself shall be exalted" (Luke 14:11).
        In saying this it shows us
        that all exaltation is a kind of pride,
        against which the Prophet proves himself to be on guard
        when he says,
        "Lord, my heart is not exalted,
        nor are mine eyes lifted up;
        neither have I walked in great matters,
        nor in wonders above me."
        But how has he acted?
        "Rather have I been of humble mind
        than exalting myself;
        as a weaned child on its mother's breast,
        so You solace my soul" (Ps. 130:1-2).

        Hence, brethren,
        if we wish to reach the very highest point of humility
        and to arrive speedily at that heavenly exaltation
        to which ascent is made through the humility of this present life,
        we must
        by our ascending actions
        erect the ladder Jacob saw in his dream,
        on which Angels appeared to him descending and ascending.
        By that descent and ascent
        we must surely understand nothing else than this,
        that we descend by self-exaltation and ascend by humility.
        And the ladder thus set up is our life in the world,
        which the Lord raises up to heaven if our heart is humbled.
        For we call our body and soul the sides of the ladder,
        and into these sides our divine vocation has inserted
        the different steps of humility and discipline we must climb.

        REFLECTION

        Today we begin St. Benedict's exhaustive treatment of humility.
        Humility and obedience are so closely linked that it is virtually
        impossible to speak of one without adding the other. Since both are
        essential Benedictine virtues, it is easy to say that there is no
        such thing as a holy Benedictine who has not climbed or is not
        climbing this ladder. I have never known a holy monk who was not
        humble, in fact, it was usually their most outstanding trait.

        A lot of this chapter will grate on modern ears. I will be the first
        to admit that some people need assertiveness training. However, in my
        experience, most of us do not. Most of us manage to be assertive on a
        daily- even hourly- basis without much difficulty. Remember, too,
        that modern psychology is a science which, like all science, is
        limited to observable data.

        Hence, it is not surprising that the generalities of psychology deal
        with relations between people and visible, created things. The catch
        here is that the humility St. Benedict speaks of is rooted in
        relationship of humans to God, a sphere in which psychology often
        finds itself woefully out of its element. It can see some things
        amiss, but not all. It lacks the supernatural basis of faith, and
        this impedes it in this area. Balance, always balance.

        A quickie on the Psalm quote today: "...neither have I walked in
        great matters, nor in matters above me." This would appeal to
        Brother Patrick Creamer, my late mentor. He learned to do it quite
        well and in just 45 years or so!! Say a special prayer for Patrick's
        eternal rest with God.

        I speak as one who has been all too focused at many times on the
        monastic soap opera, its hand-wringing tempests in teacups. About
        many things, even most, we must learn simply not to meddle, not to
        trouble ourselves with matters too great, even though we may have to
        call them "great" with an inner, rueful chuckle.

        You will never have peace until you learn to leave all that alone, to
        distrust it for the empty and tragic charade that it truly is. And
        you will never get anywhere if you don't have peace. The road to that
        peace is humility and love, both effective vaccinations against the
        fatal disease of power.