Holy Rule for Oct. 3

    Message 1 of 245 , Oct 2, 2008
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Sharon, and for her family and all who mourn her.

      Prayers for the spiritual, physical and mental health of the following and for all their loved ones, and all who take care of them:

      Craig, two wrongful lawsuits and multiple financial problems all at once, for God's perfect will.

      Maybelle, 99, in hopsice with cancer and for her children.

      Deo gratias, Amy passed her postal exam, now hoping for a position to open up for her.

      Santana, his family and all involved. He fell into a pool at 22 months. By God's grace, Santana survived after 45 minutes of no oxygen and 30 minutes being clinically dead. Santana now has multiple, very serious health issues.

      J., special intentions for some very tough times.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best.
      All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The fifth degree of humility
      is that he hide from his Abbot none of the evil thoughts
      that enter his heart
      or the sins committed in secret,
      but that he humbly confess them.
      The Scripture urges us to this when it says,
      "Reveal your way to the Lord and hope in Him" (Ps. 36:5)
      and again,
      "Confess to the Lord, for He is good,
      for His mercy endures forever" (Ps. 105:1).
      And the Prophet likewise says,
      "My offense I have made known to You,
      and my iniquities I have not covered up.
      I said: 'I will declare against myself my iniquities to the Lord;'
      and 'You forgave the wickedness of my heart'" (Ps. 31:5).

      REFLECTION

      As the saying goes, friendship doubles our joy and divides our grief.
      There's something to that, something we all know and demonstrate when
      something pleases us so much that we just can't wait to tell someone
      else about it. Unfortunately, we don't often show the same eagerness
      when something is wrong. Granted, our sorrows and griefs may be
      shared, but often our most treacherous wounds and illnesses are not.
      Neither are we particularly eager to let our weakest areas show.

      Few things can be more pathetic (or more frustrating to those who
      love them!) than a patient's refusal to tell the doctor that
      something is wrong out of some misguided fear. "I was afraid he'd
      tell me it was cancer!" Well, he might have, and it might be, but if
      he doesn't know, he cannot treat it in time and it is a nearly
      certain death sentence. Beyond that, what a waste it is for all the
      times we left things untreated out of fears that were totally unfounded!

      So it is with the spiritual life, the monastic struggle, and even
      with 12 step recovery programs. Our wounds must be exposed and shared
      if they are to heal. I can say from personal experience that, at some
      of the worst crisis times in my own vocation, I resolutely kept my
      mouth shut. Part of that was stupidly not wishing to upset anybody,
      but another part was afraid that if I did say something, they'd help! God
      got me through those times. Apparently He insisted on doing so, because He
      got precious little help from me.

      For heaven's sake- literally- if you belong to a Church that has a tradition
      sacramental Confession, GO! Christ left us that sacrament for a reason,
      not out of whimsy or folly. He had too short a public life to fritter His
      time away and leave us non-essentials. Confession is a necessary and very
      effective medicine! Go!

      Pick whichever popular image you wish for the monastery, school of
      the Lord's service or hospital, but neither of them are going to be
      much good if you are unwilling to let anyone know what you need to
      learn or what ails you. Face it, apart from their primary goals of
      education and healing, neither school nor hospital has much to offer
      in the way of a vacation resort. We come here because we ARE unwise
      and unwell. Pretending otherwise is a huge disservice to ourselves.

      Message 245 of 245 , Dec 26, 2017

        A Clarification on the O Antiphons posts.

        A reader was concerned, after reading the O Adonai reflection, that I was making the Son and the Father identical, one in the same. I assure all that I had no such intention, nor do I believe that. I consulted some experts and did some research. The links below are excellent articles that explain what I meant.

        There is a tradition among some of the Fathers of the Church that the pre-Incarnation Christ, the Logos or Word, the co-eternal Second Person of the Trinity, makes manifest the Father in many instances in the Old Testament, including the Burning Bush. Since no man could see God and live, it was felt that the Logos appeared to make manifest the Father. It was to that phenomenon that I was referring. I firmly believe that the Three Persons of the Trinity are distinct and regret it if my writing ever seemed to say otherwise.

        Blessed Christmastide to all!    BJL

        http://taylormarshall.com/2015/01/is-the-angel-of-the-lord-the-pre-incarnate-christ.html

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_bush

        http://catholicexchange.com/the-burning-bush-and-christ