May 29

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2003

      Prayers, please, for Michael, serious mental illness, and for his
      sister and family, also for Susan, pneumonia after bone marrow and
      lung transplants, with no natural immunity just now. Prayers, too,
      for two critters and their humans: for Ben, striving to get better
      and his owner, Marie; and for Homer, struggling to stay well and his
      owner, Joyce! Also, please remember a special intention of mine.
      God's will be done! Thanks! NRN JL

      As for self-will,
      we are forbidden to do our own will
      by the Scripture, which says to us,
      "Turn away from your own will" (Eccles. 18:30),
      and likewise by the prayer in which we ask God
      that His will be done in us.
      And rightly are we taught not to do our own will
      when we take heed to the warning of Scripture:
      "There are ways which seem right,
      but the ends of them plunge into the depths of hell" (Prov. 16:25);
      and also when we tremble at what is said of the careless:
      "They are corrupt and have become abominable in their will."

      And as for the desires of the flesh,
      let us believe with the Prophet that God is ever present to us,
      when he says to the Lord,
      "Every desire of mine is before You" (Ps. 37:10).

      Revolutions usually have several things in common: they respond to a
      need, they go too far in some areas, not far enough in others and
      they tend to brand those not agreeing with them as criminal or
      psychotic. Look at Soviet Russia for most of the 20th century and you
      will see all of these. Look further back at the French Revolution and
      you will find that 1917 in Petrograd offered nothing new, perhaps new
      names for certain aspects, but nothing else.

      The last decades of the 20th century saw a tremendous psychological
      revolution un the West. Its effect were perhaps greatest in some
      religious circles, where those once wary of psychology now embraced
      it more or less wholesale. Pieces of our psycho-spiritual world view
      definitely needed change and correction. Unfortunately, however, like
      the Bolsheviks and French before them, the revolutionaries shot the
      Imperial family and guillotined a lot of otherwise very fine people.
      Their zeal went a bit too far and they were often followed

      In those years, a close and scathing look was taken at religious
      obedience and the personal will. It certainly was necessary. All
      manner of idiocy had often obtained under the accept-without-any-
      question syndrome. Sadly, but predictably, the pendulum swung in a
      very un-Benedictine fashion to the opposite extreme: question
      everything and accept nothing. Personal will, formerly maligned as a
      foolish, worthless and even dangerous entity was now elevated to
      lofty, noble heights that it frankly did not deserve. Not
      astoundingly, both extremes missed the middle road of truth.

      Human will is at once both potentially noble and hopelessly flawed.
      Without God and grace assisting, the prognosis is not good. For
      Christians, however, God's grace and aid ARE available, but they come
      at the price of cooperation and cooperation demands a certain
      sacrifice of our own wills.

      It is perhaps harder for us to see that necessity of abandoning our
      wills than it has been for many before us. We are traipsing through
      the spiritual road with all kinds of extraneous, late 20th century
      baggage about autonomy and maturity and self-actualization carried to
      false extremes. Balance, always balance, always moderation in the
      Benedictine way! Our wills can be good and wonderful. It is, after
      all, with our wills that we answer God's call. But part of His call
      is to forget the self and forget its willful tantrums.

      It is fatal to spiritual growth and to community to infer too great a
      maturity or too little. Monastics are not children, but most adults
      have not totally arrived, either! It is foolish to trust those under
      our care with nothing, but equally so to empower them to virtually
      anything. That's just not how monastic life works. St. Benedict
      bluntly says that his followers DESIRE to live under an abbot. If any
      have seriously changed their minds about this, maybe it's time to go.

      A good superior will keep one from being too easy on oneself, but
      will also protect one from being too hard on oneself. I cannot tell
      you the number of times submitting a matter to my superior has
      resulted in something FAR less gruesome than what I had obsessively
      planned for myself! Most of the wonderful things said about personal
      will are true, to a point, but the revolution failed to emphasize the
      fact that our wills do NOT come with gyroscopes. As such, their
      trustworthiness as compasses is far from absolute. The superior, the
      Rule, the Gospel, these are the gyroscopes that enable us to will
      true North! Without these helps, our journey could very easily make
      the "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" look like a Sunday afternoon swan
      boat ride in Boston's Public Gardens.

      Finally, St. Benedict supports his argument with Scripture. It's a
      clever way of saying: "Hey, you want to argue this? Take it up with
      God." That's where he threw the gauntlet, all those years ago. No one
      in their right mind would dare pick it up.