Holy Rule for June 30

    Message 1 of 245 , Jun 29, 2008
      +PAX

      Prayers, please for the spiritual, mental and physicall well-being of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Marian, severe rheumatoid arthritis not responding to pain management.

      Mrs. H., possibly needing surgery in the near future, and for her son and family.

      Jim, lung cancer and in the hospital now with double pneumonia. He has been away from the Sacraments for many, many years, so special prayers that he return to them.

      David, who is in the hosipital with a serious staph infection and may have to have his arm amputated. He has two handicapped adult children he takes care of plus a wife.

      Prayers of thanks from Barb for getting a buyer for her Mom's house so quickly. Deo gratias!

      James, oral surgery is set for Monday, June 30. This will be his third oral surgery to remove possible cancer. The doctor indicates this growth is more intense than the other two. The other two surgeries resulted in cancerous growths removed from the cheek and the gum.

      grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much JL

      February 29, June 30, October 30
      Chapter 23: On Excommunication for Faults

      If a brother is found to be obstinate,
      or disobedient, or proud, or murmuring,
      or habitually transgressing the Holy Rule in any point
      and contemptuous of the orders of his seniors,
      the latter shall admonish him secretly a first and a second time,
      as Our Lord commands (Matt. 18:15).
      If he fails to amend,
      let him be given a public rebuke in front of the whole community.
      But if even then he does not reform,
      let him be placed under excommunication,
      provided that he understands the seriousness of that penalty;
      if he is perverse, however,
      let him undergo corporal punishment.

      REFLECTION

      While some today may chafe at these chapters, known as the penal code
      of the Holy Rule, believe me, the modern problem is NOT that they are
      too stringently enforced. Quite the opposite. The Benedictine
      atmosphere of gentle moderation can cloak and empower a lot of
      timidity and cowardice, too. Neither are very loving, they're just
      useful means of avoidance.

      Not all love is tough love, but all love IS tough. When a parent or
      boss or superior chooses their own comfort by avoiding confrontation
      with a problem member, everyone suffers. Those in authority are
      called to love, and love leaves no stone unturned, not even those
      that are horribly difficult to lift.

      The message here for all of us is "Look at your own choir stall",
      which is a Benedictine way of saying "Mind your own business and
      examine your conscience." If you are in authority, or get there
      someday, don't be a flop or an unloving wimp. If you are not in
      charge, don't make yourself one of the problems. It is terribly hard
      for rank and file to ignore what seemingly ought not to be ignored, but
      sometimes we simply have to do so or leave. That is one of the VERY
      great ascetic disciplines of common life. Believe me, fasting pales
      to nothing beside this one. I'd rather fast any day!

      I have known monastics (and employees and managers and parents!) who
      forced more than one person out by their unchecked behavior, something a
      good superior could have fixed or at least mitigated. To assume that the
      offenders were ALWAYS the instruments of God's will in such cases, that the
      person was supposed to leave or "just couldn't take it," is blatantly false and
      pathetically stupid. It is even more tragic when the one in charge is taking the
      easy way out by non-intervention. That scenario would be tantamount to saying
      that child abuse was just an instrument of God's will. It isn't. No serious
      offense
      is and no monastic should be left in such peril uncorrected.

      God's will has to work around and in spite of human frailty, but
      human frailty can and does often put huge obstacles in the way.
      Meanness and abusiveness can destroy others' vocations as well as
      one's own. So can cowardice and inactivity in the name of false
      charity.

      Over the years I have heard excuses close to whining from people in
      all areas of authority: political, ecclesiastical, parental, monastic
      and administrative. "Nothing can be done about so-and-so. My hands
      are tied." I hate to say that I remain unable to completely buy that,
      largely because sometimes I've been around long enough to see a
      successor (or the juvenile courts!) DO something about so-and-so.

      I have also been in charge enough times to realize that often
      something CAN be done. It is not palatable or easy, but it is
      possible. One of the things that strengthened me as listowner was the
      memory of weak superiors and ineffectual bosses and the tension of
      living in the chaotic messes they enabled by abdicating their
      responsibility. Responsibility is the ministry of service which is
      appropriate to authority, it is a necessary function of love.

      Monastics come to the Holy Rule for the benefit of discipline and
      growth and guidance toward holiness. We have a right to same, and no
      one should have to know that only for child abuse will he or she get
      it. There are many, many abuses that involve neither sex, nor
      children, nor outsiders that require equal attention.

      If we take an firm hand in one area only (an area which, it must be
      noted, is financially very dangerous...) we will look rather foolish
      in priding ourselves that we are left with a community or Church that
      can keep its hands off children. There's more to it than that. Much more.

      Message 245 of 245 , Dec 26, 2017

        A Clarification on the O Antiphons posts.

        A reader was concerned, after reading the O Adonai reflection, that I was making the Son and the Father identical, one in the same. I assure all that I had no such intention, nor do I believe that. I consulted some experts and did some research. The links below are excellent articles that explain what I meant.

        There is a tradition among some of the Fathers of the Church that the pre-Incarnation Christ, the Logos or Word, the co-eternal Second Person of the Trinity, makes manifest the Father in many instances in the Old Testament, including the Burning Bush. Since no man could see God and live, it was felt that the Logos appeared to make manifest the Father. It was to that phenomenon that I was referring. I firmly believe that the Three Persons of the Trinity are distinct and regret it if my writing ever seemed to say otherwise.

        Blessed Christmastide to all!    BJL

        http://taylormarshall.com/2015/01/is-the-angel-of-the-lord-the-pre-incarnate-christ.html

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_bush

        http://catholicexchange.com/the-burning-bush-and-christ