Holy Rule for May 14

    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2008
      +PAX

      Prayers of Deo gratias and thanksgiving for Jeanne, who finally got a medication she badly needed, also for Joe, whose prostate surgery we prayed for: lymph nodes negative and surgery went well, continued prayers as they check the prostate for spread of cancer.

      Prayers for the happy death and etenal rest of a Med Flight team, all killed when their Med Flight crashed: Steve, Mark and Darren and for all who mourn them. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Fr. Paschal, OSB, of Belmont Abbey, North Carolina. He died last Autumn, but I just found out. Prayers for all who mourn him, too.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and phsyical well-being of the following and fo all their loved ones and all who treat them:

      Paul, panic attack.

      Pat, pancreatitis and failing kidneys, probably due to alcohol. He's also lost his job recently, and he and his wife have a new baby boy. This is his second serious illness, and he's really in denial about his alcohol use. And for his mother, Carole, very worried about him. Safe travels for her, too, as she drives from Florida to be with them.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      In her teaching
      the Abbess should always follow the Apostle's formula:
      "Reprove, entreat, rebuke" (2 Tim. 4:2);
      threatening at one time and coaxing at another
      as the occasion may require,
      showing now the stern countenance of a mistress,
      now the loving affection of a mother.
      That is to say,
      it is the undisciplined and restless
      whom she must reprove rather sharply;
      it is the obedient, meek and patient
      whom she must entreat to advance in virtue;
      while as for the negligent and disdainful,
      these we charge her to rebuke and correct.

      And let her not shut her eyes to the faults of offenders;
      but, since she has the authority,
      let her cut out those faults by the roots
      as soon as they begin to appear,
      remembering the fate of Heli, the priest of Silo (1 Kings 2-4).
      The well-disposed and those of good understanding
      let her correct with verbal admonition the first and second time.
      But bold, hard, proud and disobedient characters
      she should curb at the very beginning of their ill-doing
      by stripes and other bodily punishments,
      knowing that it is written,
      "the fool is not corrected with words" (Prov. 18:2; 29:19),
      and again,
      "Beat your son with the rod,
      and you will deliver his soul from death"(Prov. 23:13-14).

      REFLECTION

      As our world grows more populated and less personalist, "One size
      fits all" becomes a favorite chant of marketing. We all know that's
      usually not true, and it is surely not true of parenting or
      governing, as St. Benedict points out. This chapter firmly
      contradicts the lie of such marketing. We are all individuals, all
      treasures with different needs. Generic brand parenting will not do.

      I was a miserable failure at discipline when teaching high school
      sophomore English. I am sure it is an experience neither they nor I
      would like to repeat. I tried to treat them like college students or
      adults, a point they had not reached. In my naiveté, I expected them
      to respond in kind. When they didn't, matters escalated between us, but not
      into anything that did much good.

      I was terribly at fault: I didn't see who they were, I gave them what *I*
      would have liked to have had, but I was already in my mid-thirties with
      a lot of life experience. I wasn't serving their needs, because I didn't
      know who they were, nor, in that first year, did I even know how to find
      out! So, like many before me, I substituted what I would want or need and
      proclaimed that one size would fit all. Wrong! NOT!

      Any abbess or parent who wants to try my way, not St. Benedict's,
      will quickly find that it is as hard on them as it is on their charges.
      My year of high school teaching was horrible and I hated it. My
      students hated it, too. It was terrible for both of us at many, many
      points. The light that entered in from time to time, the genuine
      enjoyment of each other was only a flash that appeared rarely, faded
      soon. I pray for those kids (and for those who taught me!) every day
      of my life.

      St. Benedict is not only moderate and balanced, he sees the person
      clearly. He is a personalist of the first rank. Practice his
      principles of government without the checks and balances of this
      portion and you will be very displeased with the results. It
      sometimes takes St. Benedict a while to make his point. Cut him short
      before he has, and you will often wind up very sorry. Always let him
      finish: the whole is a thing of beauty, but the parts may fall far
      short of that.

      Mercifully, God alone can bring good out of anything, so He can even
      use our wrong-headedness to bring others to Him. He can do that with
      obedience, too, but if we give Him a bit less chaos by following
      Benedict's methods rather than our own, it will be better for all
      concerned.

      To a certain point, some people thrive on a lot of leeway, others do
      not. Some people need rigid order, others will wither under that. A
      superior who is into super control will soon be left with none but
      those who need that and a few conflicted types who can at least
      endure it.

      A superior who is too easy-going can also do harm. Sad is the
      community where the only thing that will ever get all the horses back into
      the barn is death, and a few of such exist. They were produced by a
      mutual effort of bad government and bad response.

      This is not so different from the message throughout the Holy Rule:
      concern for the other, not the self, eyes on God for the good of all! And, as
      the old-timers would say: "Keep your eyes on your own choir stall." Trust me,
      you will ALWAYS find plenty to keep you busy there if you are honest
      with yourself!

      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Andy, who died tragically at 22, today is his birthday. He would have been 43 today. Prayers, too, for his Mom and family and all who mourn him. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of his Dad.

        Prayers for a young man, 27, who took his own life, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for vocations to St. Mary's Monastery and to all our monasteries. Special prayers for Tim, discerning his vocation and making an observership in June.

        Please pray for Eileen’s niece,  N., whose partner of c.20 years has died of a heart attack, aged 48. It was not an easy relationship and she tried to escape several times, including suicide attempts. Pray that G. is now at peace and for healing for her.

        Prayers for all those suffering hunger and needing relief in western Africa.

        Prayers for all persecuted Christians, especially in Syria and Pakistan. Prayers for the spiritual and emotional needs of Naeem, who works with Christians in Pakistan.

        Prayers for E., special intention.

        Why not turn May into a month of prayer for all our Mothers, Grandmothers and Aunts? Don’t forget our spiritual Mothers, too. Between now and Father's Day, next month, offer some special prayers every day for all of them, living and dead. The do the same for a month after Father's Day. We owe them all so much.

        Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Edith Alice, and for all her family and all who mourn her.

        Prayers for Joy and her family.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 13

          +PAX

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Caroline, nearly 99, and her husband , Walter, 100, both died recently. Prayers, too, for their daughter, Joyce, and all their family and all who mourn them.

          Prayers for Kevin,57, hospitalized with multiple health issues.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Andy, who died tragically at 22, today is his birthday. He would have been 44 today. Prayers, too, for his Mom and family and all who mourn him. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of his Dad.

          Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Edith Alice, and for all her family and all who mourn her.

          Prayers for Joy and her family.

          Prayers for B & O who need a place to live by July.  The real estate market is tough. Prayers God guides them to the home He has picked out for them and they get a good deal before July.

          Prayers for Jason who is an adult and blames all of his problems on everyone else.  He is not living a healthy lifestyle and his mom is very upset.  Prayers that God puts the people in Jason's life who will help him.

          Prayers for Jason's mom that her memory stays well and that all her medical tests come back good. Prayers she feels God's presence and God's hands work though the doctors and the procedure goes well.

[...]

          very often not true, and it is surely not true of parenting or
[...]

          students had a rough time, too. It was terrible for both of us at many