Holy Rule fo May 12

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11 6:17 AM

      Prayers, please, for Dave, on his birthday. Ad multos annos and many more!

      Prayers for me, I have been appointed Oblate Master for our monastery. Pray that I may worthily serve and not get in God's way, please.

      Lord, help
      us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      Therefore, when anyone receives the name of Abbess,
      she ought to govern her disciples with a twofold teaching.
      That is to say,
      she should show them all that is good and holy
      by her deeds even more than by her words,
      expounding the Lord's commandments in words
      to the intelligent among her disciples,
      but demonstrating the divine precepts by her actions
      for those of harder hearts and ruder minds.
      And whatever she has taught her disciples
      to be contrary to God's law,
      let her indicate by her example that it is not to be done,
      lest, while preaching to others, she herself be found reprobate (1
      Cor. 9:27),
      and lest God one day say to her in her sin,
      "Why do you declare My statutes
      and profess My covenant with your lips,
      whereas you hate discipline
      and have cast My words behind you" (Ps. 49:16-17)?
      And again,
      "You were looking at the speck in your brother's eye,
      and did not see the beam in your own" (Matt. 7:3).

      REFLECTION

      This isn't just for abbots and parents, this is for all of us.
      Example is put forward as the primary means of teaching, even before
      words. All of us must "walk the talk" and practice what we preach.
      Everyone of us is obliged to somehow uncover the splendor of the City
      of God in our lives, to show it to others. Mere verbal description
      will be of little help in comparison to actually living out the vision.

      I remember many of my parents' words, we all do. When I am really
      trying to gauge my behavior according to their standards, however, it
      is often not words that I hear in my mind. I think of how they would
      have acted in a given situation. If their behavior shames me at my own
      planned response, I usually try to follow their plan of action, not
      mine. Like everyone, however, I am not perfect and do not always
      choose the higher road that memory of them shows me. Sad...

      All of us put forward an image of who we are in words, one way or
      another. As years go by, we usually get a more or less complete
      picture of who we are and of the self we wish to present to the
      world. This is where family, community and marriage can be so
      important.

      The people who live with us, see right through the flaws
      in our verbal picture. It is less easy for us to believe in our grand
      images of ourselves when we are rubbing shoulders with one or more
      reality checks all the time! These reality checks can point out
      genuine greatness in areas we might not have expected, but they can
      also underscore the pathetic comedy of our pretensions.
      Both are useful for humility, both lead to truth. Those pointing out
      our flaws are no more infallible than we are, but they can often be a
      lot more objective.

      Ever watch a foreign film with the audio badly dubbed into another
      language? It is jarring and annoying. What St. Benedict is saying to
      all of us here is to get the picture and the sound into synchronized
      form. For all Christians, all Benedictines, there should be no
      disparity between video and audio! Lofty ideal that!

      St. Benedict knew that loftiness would be hard for us to reach, too.
      He knew there would be beams in our eyes, specks in others'. Hence, a
      lot of this boils down to approach and attitude. Come on to others
      from a position of "I'm OK and you are not," and see where it gets
      you. You might make a temporary dent. You might even change a few of
      the really less than bright.

      Most wise people, however, will give you a lot of room. They see the
      mask, the falsity there, and it inhibits much else from getting through to
      them. It's like really competent actors being cast in a role that does
      not fit them at all. One sits through the whole movie thinking: "No way
      can I believe that she is so-and-so!" "Great play, nice plot, but I didn't find
      the male lead credible..."

      Hopefully, at that final Awards night, there will be Tony's, Emmies
      and Oscars for all of us, with maybe a Golden Globe or two thrown
      into our totals!