Holy Ryle for May 11

    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2008

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following and for all who mourn them:

      Samuel, who passed away after a long battle with cancer and for his parents, Mark and Jennifer, his grandmother.

      Police Sgt. Stephen Lizbinski of Philadelphia, shot and killed in the line of duty.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical well-being of the folloiwng, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Preemie baby Mary Elizabeth Clara, needing delicate surgey to connect her stomach and esophagus, born at 3lb., 10oz. and for her woried parents, she is a long awaited first child.

      Stephanie, in ICU after a serious car crash.

      someone just diagnosed with colon cancer.

      Lord,
      help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.

      Let the Abbess always bear in mind
      that at the dread Judgment of God
      there will be an examination of these two matters:
      her teaching and the obedience of her disciples.
      And let the Abbess be sure
      that any lack of profit
      the master of the house may find in the sheep
      will be laid to the blame of the shepherd.

      On the other hand,
      if the shepherd has bestowed all her pastoral diligence
      on a restless, unruly flock
      and tried every remedy for their unhealthy behavior,
      then she will be acquitted at the Lord's Judgment
      and may say to the Lord with the Prophet:
      "I have not concealed Your justice within my heart;
      Your truth and Your salvation I have declared" (Ps. 39:11).
      "But they have despised and rejected me" (Is. 1:2; Ezech. 20:27).
      And then finally let death itself, irresistible,
      punish those disobedient sheep under her charge.

      REFLECTION

      Be of good cheer, all abbots and parents! St. Benedict wrote this well
      over a thousand years before the dawn of psychiatry. He was very holy
      and very wise, but he was a creation of his own times. I think it is
      safe to say that, in St. Benedict's time and for many centuries
      afterward, there was a tendency to look at most behavior as choice,
      not compulsion. Things were somewhat more black and white. Under a
      system such as that given in the first half of this reading, many, if
      not most parents and authority figures of today would fry without a doubt.

      I needed exactly the parents I got, so did my Dad, so did my Mom, so did
      their parents. That's just another way of saying that we are all victims of
      victims,a concept of which St. Benedict probably would never have dreamed.
      [Or, that we are all beneficiaries of beneficiaries, because that, too, is true,
      and probably more the way St. Benedict's time would have seen things.]

      But in some way each of us is a victim or beneficiary of something which shapes
      us, as are our parents and so on. We aren't perfect. We also all pass on some of
      what shaped us, whether consciously or not. May we always pass on only the
      good!!

      Consider the marvel of God's tailoring one abbess to 50 nuns; quite a
      deal, isn't it? Now consider this. For each of us to get our perfect
      set of parents, here's a PARTIAL picture of God's fine tuning.
      Obviously, the whole chain has to fit or it comes out wrong. We each
      have 8,388,608 21st great-grandparents, with a total of parents and
      grandparents in those 24 generations of 16,777,214. (Don't forget that
      each of those forebears had the same number of ancestors, too!)

      That total is comfortably more than the combined populations of the
      cities of New York, Boston, Chicago, Tampa, Washington, DC, and the
      entire State of Missouri. And, for a person alive today, that would
      probably only get you back to about the year 1000 AD. Begin to get
      the picture of how God has thought of us (and them!) from all
      eternity? There's a lot more than 50 nuns going on here, in fact,
      there was a different and equal set of forbears for each of those 50
      nuns AND their abbess.

      By the way, St. Benedict had a lot of help from the Holy Spirit.
      Hence, although he wrote the second part of today's reading, about
      the acquittal of the abbess who's done her best, without the benefit
      of modern psychology, it nevertheless fits right in to our current
      awareness. No one can give what they don't have (or, if they do, it's
      only the working of grace that makes that possible.)

      I can't teach you Hebrew, I don't know it. But, if I was suddenly presented
      with the fact that I'd HAVE to teach Hebrew, I'd buy a beginning text and
      we'd stumble through somehow together. How very like parenting,
      except that, for most of our partial crowd of sixteen million, there
      were no textbooks!

      Parents and abbatial types, take heart. God not only CAN use
      anything, He HAS to use anything. The human standards throughout
      history after Eden have made that more than certain. God knows and
      loves each of us. He is more parent than we are and He is, unlike
      ourselves, perfect.

      If a six year old child had been forced to plan the Coronation of the
      Queen, fifty-four years ago in London, it probably would have been
      MUCH different. For one thing, there'd probably have been a lot more
      elephants and clowns in the parade! Most of us with any kind of
      hearts would have smiled at the child's efforts, been surprised that
      they actually did so well. That, m'dears, is exactly the attitude of
      God toward us, except that He isn't surprised: He knew all along that
      we could do well with His grace and help!