Holy Rule for May 6

    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2008
      +PAX

      Please pray for the happy death and eternal rest of Francoise`s Father who died on April 25th (Alzheimer`s desease) and for Francoise and all who mourn him.

      Please also pray for Brother Tadeus and Brother Gottschalk and their special intentions.

      Lord, help us all as
      You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never
      absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      January 5, May 6, September 5
      Prologue

      Hence the Lord says in the Gospel,
      "Whoever listens to these words of Mine and acts upon them,
      I will liken to a wise person
      who built a house on rock.
      The floods came,
      the winds blew and beat against that house,
      and it did not fall,
      because it had been founded on rock" (Matt. 7:24-25).

      Having given us these assurances,
      the Lord is waiting every day
      for us to respond by our deeds to His holy admonitions.
      And the days of this life are lengthened
      and a truce granted us for this very reason,
      that we may amend our evil ways.
      As the Apostle says,
      "Do you not know that God's patience is inviting you to repent" (Rom.
      2:4)?
      For the merciful Lord tells us,
      "I desire not the death of the sinner,
      but that the sinner should be converted and live" (Ezech. 33:11).

      REFLECTION

      Blessed Columba Marmion wrote:

      "You may ask: Is not the monastery the ante-chamber of Heaven?
      Assuredly it is; but to stay a long time in a waiting room and there
      to bear monotony and annoyances, can become singularly burdensome and
      require a big dose of endurance."

      Probably no one really likes waiting rooms and some of us loathe them
      far more than others. I certainly fall closer to the latter extreme!
      It's not that I can't find anything to do, I usually can read or
      pray, but not always. There is noisy talk, or there are sometimes noisier
      TV's, both of which others need, so one can hardly grouse about them.
      That which makes a waiting room more tolerable (like silence,) for
      some makes it less so for others!

      Had I to wait an entire day in a waiting room, I'd come home truly
      fatigued. Weeks? Months? No doubt they'd have to crack out the
      leather wrist and ankle restraints and give me psychotropic drugs IV
      push!! I would be a mess. Patience is not my strong point and I am
      sure many can relate to that on one level or another.

      But Scripture and the Holy Rule assure us that a loving, all-merciful
      God waits far more than any of us could stand. He waits for all our
      lives, every instant, every millisecond. He waits before every
      conversion and after every fall. He waits till our death, if need be.
      Only then, when we can no longer run, does He open His arms of Divine
      Mercy one last all-but-irresistible time. Even then, we could
      refuse Him, but what folly that would be!

      He waits. He does not stalk or crouch in hiding like a predator. His
      are not the finite limits of some flawed human who watches only for
      our falls, who delights at every trip or stumble. He perfectly,
      patiently, lovingly, mercifully waits. GOD waits. For us, who are
      less than nothing by comparison, GOD Himself waits!

      There were many years when I was so emphatically trying to ignore
      Him, when "...I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways of my own
      mind..." I used to hate it when people quoted Francis Thompson's
      "Hound of Heaven" to me in those times. I am still annoyed
      by the poem insofar as it portrays God as a rather insuperably Herculean
      pursuer of very heavy foot! (Let us bless God that this is poetry and
      NOT Scripture!)

      I think that God has an infinitely more polite and respectful means
      of waiting and seeking. But there are great truths in Thompson's poem
      and I shall leave you with two excerpts, both quite near the end of the
      poem. Beloveds, may these be the first words we all hear at death!

      "All which thy child's mistake
      Fancies as lost. I have stored for thee at home:
      Rise, clasp My hand, and come!"

      "Ah, fondest, blindest, weakest.
      I am He Whom thou seekest!
      Thou dravest love from thee who dravest Me."

      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2016
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for Phyllis, in her 80's in the hospital for tests.

        Prayers for the health of J. Prine, in ICU.

        Prayers for an elderly lady , Julie , who has just been put into care
        thanks to deteriorating emphysema. Julie has no faith. So ardent prayers,
        please, that she turns to God. Prayers too , please for her brother Paul and
        his wife who are very concerned for her.

        Prayers for N. Ann and her family, for the spiritual and physical well-being
        of them all. Ann is a bit motion restricted, prayers that her mobility
        greatly improves, please.

        Prayers for Maan, for her advance placement history test on 5/6 and for her
        SAT test on 5/7/2016.

        Prayers for Rick, that all of his tests come back OK and he is cancer free.

        Prayers for Dawson, a teenager who is waiting for test results. Prayers that
        God's healing hand is on Dawson and they find nothing and his headache and
        nausea go away right away.

[...]

        At our death, when we can no longer run, He opens His arms of Divine
        Mercy one last all-but-irresistible time. Even then, we could
        refuse Him, but what folly that would be!

        He waits. He does not stalk or crouch in hiding like a predator. His
        are not the finite limits of some flawed human who watches only for
        our falls, who delights at every trip or stumble. He perfectly,
        patiently, lovingly, mercifully waits. GOD waits. For us, who are
        less than nothing by comparison, GOD Himself waits!

        There were many years when I was so emphatically trying to ignore
        Him, when "...I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways of my own
        mind..." I used to hate it when people quoted Francis Thompson's
        "Hound of Heaven" to me in those times. I am still a bit annoyed

        Message 3 of 7 , May 5

          +PAX

          Prayers for B. and family, that some professional help is sought and that reconciliation occurs.

          Prayers for Joel, his job will be cut next year and he needs to find a new one. Prayers for the will of God, that God may have something better waiting for him.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Kevin R., who was found dead, and for his family and all who mourn him.

          Prayers for Victor and his getting through obstacles to attend a university in the USA.