Holy Rule for Apr. 26

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2008
      +PAX

      We pray for so many personal needs, let us all remember to pray daily for
      the Church, for its life and renewal. These are tough times for believers and we
      need all the prayers we can get.

      Prayers for Robert and his wife, Lita, whom we prayed for at her sudden death in 2006. Today is her birthday and a few days away is their wedding anniversary. Prayers for Robert, in his grief and for Lita's eternal rest.

      Prayers for someone seeking to overcome pride and accept his place.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All
      is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 26, August 26, December 26
      Chapter 68: If a Sister Is Commanded to Do Impossible Things

      If it happens
      that difficult or impossible tasks are laid on a sister,
      let her nevertheless receive the order of the one in authority
      with all meekness and obedience.
      But if she sees that the weight of the burden
      altogether exceeds the limit of her strength,
      let her submit the reasons for her inability
      to the one who is over her
      in a quiet way and at an opportune time,
      without pride, resistance, or contradiction.
      And if after these representations
      the Superior still persists in her decision and command,
      let the subject know that this is for her good,
      and let her obey out of love,
      trusting in the help of God.

      REFLECTION

      Buried in chapters whose names may throw us off there are usually
      gems, one just has to dig a bit more carefully. Granted, impossible
      tasks are rarely asked of anyone these days, much less Oblates who
      live outside the monastery, but there is a beautiful method given
      here which has the widest of applications.

      The method given here for approaching one's superior is a masterpiece
      of crisis intervention and prevention for almost any situation in
      life:

      "...in a quiet way and at an opportune time, without pride,
      resistance, or contradiction."

      We ought to carve that on the walls of every mediation center in the
      world, on the doors to every marriage counselor and above every
      complaint desk (or, as they euphemize them these days, "Customer
      Service," but what's in a name?)

      Look at what is called for here: composure and calm, timing, respect
      for the other person (Gandhi would even say love for the foe,) non-
      violence and non-contentiousness. Use this approach with
      disagreements and many of them will melt away. One reason Gandhi's
      non-violence worked was that he employed all of these things, the
      opponent was never denied her worth or dignity. When his followers
      pared the list, they failed. This is the recipe for lasting results,
      not for a temporary subjugation.

      Jesus, of course, gives us a three step process to redress wrongs: go
      to the person alone, if that doesn't work go with a witness, if even
      that fails, then haul them up before the whole assembly. We can
      consider ourselves absolved if we follow all those steps and may feel
      justified, but if we undertake ANY of those steps, especially the
      first one, without the calm prescribed by St. Benedict, our effort is
      all but guaranteed to fail. We can sputter out: "I went to her and I
      got NOWHERE!" Ah, yes, but HOW did you go? "He wouldn't even listen
      to the whole community!" Neither would you, if made to feel that
      small and worthless in public.

      Very often our manner of dealing with others says a great deal about
      how we esteem ourselves. A balanced dignity and self-love is shown in
      the Holy Rule's approach. It will go a longer way toward ending
      conflict than a "wronged prima donna" move.

      Watch how people fight and it will be easy to see that many consider any
      perceived slight or offense against themselves to be THE original sin. Never
      mind that the "offender" might have meant nothing of the sort, or acted in
      genuine ignorance or innocence. Forget all about that little item of being morally
      obliged to think the best of others. No quarter, no mercy!

      Sigh... Give people like that a lot of room. Being wrong is not a capital
      offense, everybody does it at one time or another. People who demonstrate anything
      else by their reactions damage their own standing in the group and rightly so.

      Remember that every disagreement hurts the whole group. A family at
      dinner with two not speaking is a tense affair. You cannot calm a
      child by saying "This is between your Father and me! It has nothing
      to do with you." Because it does, it really does. A community in choir
      after a huge blow-up between two members is not an exquisite taste of
      mystical prayer. Everybody suffers. That's why fixing these fender-
      benders is so important and why St. Benedict gave us a way that is so
      very likely to achieve results.

      Now THAT'S creative peacemaking!

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25, 2016

        +PAX

        Ardent prayers for Kate, who has lost her job and is having a hard time finding another. May God give her the job He has for her soon.

        Prayers for a couple who deemed their marriage to be over, but then decided to try and work it out. Many significant issues and three great sons involved. Many prayers, please.

        Prayers for Katie, on her birthday, many graces and many more. Ad multos annos!

        Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Mrs. Pieczarka, Richard's Mom, on the third anniversary of her death, and for Richard and all her family and all who mourn her.

        Prayers for  Michele, who was in an auto accident, surgery to reset her arm this week.  She is In a lot of pain, her car totaled and as she is already on assistance due to other medical issues there are financial worries.

        Prayers for Greg, a Vietnam Vet, has a failing immune system due to chronic leukemia from his exposures to agent orange. His marriage is also in crisis.  he is a man of faith and has put his trust in the Lord as best he can.

        Prayers for  Pat, who  is fragile but working on his recovery.

        Prayers for Jim is in a nursing home and gets depressed.

        Prayers for Sharon and her four siblings above. Unfortunately, all are living at a significant distance from her so she prays and writes and calls to be an encouragement.

        Prayers for C., that she return to the Church.

[...]

        customer service desk,

        Look at what is called for here: composure and calm, timing, respect
        for the other person (Gandhi would even say love for the foe,) non-
        violence and non-contentiousness. Use this approach with
        disagreements and many of them will melt away. One reason Gandhi's
        non-violence worked was that he employed all of these things, the
        opponent was never denied her worth or dignity. When his followers
        pared the list, they failed. This is the recipe for lasting results,
        not for a temporary subjugation.

        Jesus, of course, gives us a three step process to redress wrongs: go
        to the person alone, if that doesn't work go with a witness, if even
        that fails, then haul them up before the whole assembly. We can follow

        Jesus’ way and take all those steps and may feel we have done right,
[...]

        calm and peace. Everybody suffers. That's why fixing these fender-

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25

          +PAX

          Prayers for Daniel, persistent irritable bowel syndrome, prayers that it is nothing more serious.

          Ardent prayers for Kate’s job search. She has lost her job and needs to find another, prayers that she gets the job God wills for her.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Eileen’s friend, Paul, and for all his family and all who mourn him, especially Eileen.

          Prayers for Fr. Kevin, having a hernia operation this week.

          Prayers for Stephen, an Oblate, having heart treatment.

          Prayers for Katie, on her birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

          Healing prayers for Randy G., in ICU with a stroke and ruptured blood vessel, prayers for God’s perfect will for him and for his family.

          Prayers for Br. Joseph M. and for his father and aunt, who are both in hospice. Br. is praying to St. Joseph for their happy death.