Holy Rule for Apr. 22

  • jeromeleo@stmarysmonastery.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21 5:51 AM
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for baby Jesse, less than a week old, in neonatal ICU with fluid on lungs and for the worried parents.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.

      Chapter 65: On the Prior of the Monastery

      It happens all too often that the constituting of a Prior
      gives rise to grave scandals in monasteries.
      For there are some who become inflated with the evil spirit of pride
      and consider themselves second Abbots.
      By usurping power
      they foster scandals and cause dissensions in the community.
      Especially does this happen
      in those places where the Prior is constituted
      by the same Bishop or the same Abbots
      who constitute the Abbot himself.
      What an absurd procedure this is
      can easily be seen;
      for it gives the Prior an occasion for becoming proud
      from the very time of his constitution,
      by putting the thought into his mind
      that he is freed from the authority of his Abbot:
      "For," he will say to himself, "you were constituted
      by the same persons who constitute the Abbot."
      From this source are stirred up envy, quarrels, detraction,
      rivalry, dissensions and disorders.
      For while the Abbot and the Prior are at variance,
      their souls cannot but be endangered by this dissension;
      and those who are under them,
      currying favor with one side or the other,
      go to ruin.
      The guilt for this dangerous state of affairs
      rests on the heads of those
      whose action brought about such disorder.

      REFLECTION

      When I read the line about those governed "currying favor with one
      side or the other," I thought immediately of the children of divorce.
      Children, however, are quite perceptive, and it is not just divorce,
      but any noticeable drift between parents that they will manipulate.
      That is why, in family and monastery, unity in authority is very
      important.

      St. Benedict tries to guarantee this by letting the Abbot choose his
      own Prior, parents can do it by a struggle to overcome their own
      personal differences for the good of the children. This is not to say
      that the parents can necessarily get over their problems, but that
      they must at least try to be consistent with the children, for the
      children's sakes. As St. Benedict points out, this choosing of sides
      in child or monastic, can lead to ruin.

      Why does it lead to ruin? Because manipulation to some degree puts us
      in charge of ourselves, something no child and very, very few
      monastics are strong enough to be. As St. Bernard of Clairvaux
      said: "The one who has himself for a master has a fool for a
      disciple."

      One reason we took obedience upon ourselves was our
      knowledge of our own weakness. This knowledge can fade and dim with
      time, we can be convinced we know better. That is a risky conclusion
      to make. Our obedience is a real protection from harm.

      Benedictines not only are not in charge of themselves, but, as the
      Holy Rule defines cenobitic community life, they "desire" this lack
      of control. They "desire to live under a Rule and an Abbot."

      One cannot expect children to be wise enough to see how good and
      necessary obedience is at every turn, but it shouldn't be much of a
      stretch for us adults!

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21 3:21 PM
        +PAX

        Belated birthday prayers for Queen Elizabeth II, who turned 90 yesterday,
        April 21. May she have many more years to inspire her people, may God bless
        her abundantly!

        Prayers for Daniel, severely stressed. Prayers, too, for a special intention
        for him.

        Please pray for a man who is great need of healing of depression and anger,
        and in need of a better full time safe employment, and the company of real
        Christian men.

        Prayers for the happy death of Mr. Cicone, 95, and for his wife and all who
        will mourn him. We have prayed for them before, but now he is in ICU and the
        doctors say there is nothing more they can do. Prayers he gets all the
        Sacraments and graces he can. Prayers, too, for his wife, as she is also
        elderly and not in good health.

        Prayers for the happy death of Jodye, diagnosed as terminal, only given
        months, respiratory failure is already setting in. Prayers for her family
        and for all who will mourn her. Prayers she gets all the Sacraments and
        graces she can.

        Prayers please for God's will for 7 month old Millie, and prayers for her
        parents, the rest of Millie's family and church family. Millie was gravely,
        if not mortally, injured at day care two days ago. One day ago tests
        indicated Millie has no brain activity.

        Prayers for the healing and conversion of a very abusive wife, prayers that
        her heart is touched and she ceases her emotional and verbal abuse.

[...]

        From this source are stirred up envy, quarrels, detraction,

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21 2:16 PM

          +PAX

          Prayers for the success of our Oblate Day at Petersham, and for the safety of those travelling to and fro. May there be many graces for all.

          Prayers for Stanley F., diagnosed with sarcomatoid mesothelioma, a rarer form of mesothelioma caused by exposure to asbestos, and for his son, Greg, who is caring for him.

          Please pray for a man who has been diagnosed with abscesses on his liver. The doctors are not certain whether it is caused by a parasite or some other form of infection. Pray that the blood work will come back from the lab very quickly so they can proceed with a plan of action. Please pray for protection from sepsis.

          Prayers for someone anonymous, who is praying for a miracle.

          Continued prayers for B, marital troubles and suicidal thoughts.

          Belated birthday prayers for Queen Elizabeth II, who turned 91 yesterday, April 21. May she have many more years to inspire her people, may God bless her abundantly!

          Chapter 65: On the Prior of the Monastery

          It happens all too often that the constituting of a Prior
          gives rise to grave scandals in monasteries.
          For there are some who become inflated with the evil spirit of pride
          and consider themselves second Abbots.
          By usurping power
          they foster scandals and cause dissensions in the community.
          Especially does this happen
          in those places where the Prior is constituted
          by the same Bishop or the same Abbots
          who constitute the Abbot himself.
          What an absurd procedure this is
          can easily be seen;
          for it gives the Prior an occasion for becoming proud
          from the very time of his constitution,
          by putting the thought into his mind
          that he is freed from the authority of his Abbot:
          "For," he will say to himself, "you were constituted
          by the same persons who constitute the Abbot."
          From this source are stirred up envy, quarrels, detraction,
[...]

          children's sake. As St. Benedict points out, this choosing of sides