Holy Rule fo Apr. 17

  • jeromeleo@stmarysmonastery.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2008

      Prayers, please, for the safety and success of our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI's visit to the U.S.

      Prayers for the conversion, happy death and eternal rest of Jim.

      Safe travel for Fr. Gregory, coming home today.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so
      much. JL

      April 17, August 17, December 17
      Chapter 62: On the Priests of the Monastery

      If an Abbot desire
      to have a priest or a deacon ordained for his monastery,
      let him choose one
      who is worthy to exercise the priestly office.

      But let the one who is ordained
      beware of self-exaltation or pride;
      and let him not presume to do anything
      except what is commanded him by the Abbot,
      knowing that he is so much the more subject
      to the discipline of the Rule.
      Nor should he by reason of his priesthood forget
      the obedience and the discipline required by the Rule,
      but make ever more and more progress towards God.

      Let him always keep the place which he received
      on entering the monastery,
      except in his duties at the altar
      or in case the choice of the community and the will of the Abbess
      should promote him for the worthiness of his life.
      Yet he must understand
      that he is to observe the rules laid down by deans and Priors.

      Should he presume to act otherwise,
      let him be judged not as a priest but as a rebel.
      And if he does not reform after repeated admonitions,
      let even the Bishop be brought in as a witness.
      If then he still fails to amend,
      and his offenses are notorious,
      let him be put out of the monastery,
      but only if his contumacy is such
      that he refuses to submit or to obey the Rule.

      REFLECTION

      The other day I passed the assistant manager of our local supermarket
      cleaning up a bad mess on the floor with sweeping compound. I stopped
      and told him that was the best possible thing his employees could
      see. I congratulated him, saying that his employees would more likely
      do anything for him gladly. They had seen him do it first.

      This chapter applies to anyone who rises at work or at school or even
      in the home. Much is required of those to whom much is given! When a
      Benedictine gets a promotion, the basic willingness to do anything
      necessary ought to remain firmly in place!

      Authority, when it is placed over us, is to be reverenced and obeyed,
      when it is placed in our own hands, it is to serve, not to reign! All
      of us get the opportunity to live under authority or to administer
      same. Our Benedictine hearts should make it readily evident to any
      who observes us that our style in either area is decidedly different!

      There's another thing both the world and religious life could profit
      from learning. Authority in the Holy Rule is not permanent, not even
      in the case of an Abbot, whom St. Benedict says may, even ought to be
      removed in extreme cases. So often, in cloister or world, once we
      have kicked someone upstairs, we are hesitant to ever put them
      downstairs again. That shouldn't be. It gives the person and the
      community an excellent potential for learning and teaching humility.
      Whenever anyone handles authority badly, really badly, they should
      not be rewarded with continued administration. Alas, that is often
      not the case.