Holy Rule for Mar. 27

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Tim, who died of prostate cancer, for all his family and all who mourn him.

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Eva, slipping closer to comatose, and for all her family, especially Dave.

      Prayers for Rob, who fell and broke both elbows and is in a lot pain.

      Prayers for Br. Clement Rees, a new novice at St. Leo Abbey, and for Br. Christopher Thomas, planning to make solemn vows on the Feast of St. Benedict. Deo gratias and multos annos to both! Lord, help us all as You know and
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 27, July 27, November 26
      Chapter 47: On Giving the Signal for the Time of the Work of God

      The indicating of the hour for the Work of God
      by day and by night
      shall devolve upon the Abbot
      either to give the signal himself
      or to assign this duty to such a careful brother
      that everything will take place at the proper hours.

      Let the Psalms and the antiphons be intoned
      by those who are appointed for it,
      in their order after the Abbot.
      And no one shall presume to sing or read
      unless he can fulfill that office
      in such a way as to edify the hearers.
      Let this function be performed
      with humility, gravity and reverence,
      and by him whom the Abbot has appointed.

      REFLECTION

      A quickie here that applies to all, in monastery or out. It sometimes
      happens that we desire a job we ought not to have. It sometimes
      happens that we get a job that is too much for us and realize that in
      the midst of things. These are times for the great truthfulness of
      humility, to either stop seeking the task in question or to frankly
      admit that we cannot do it as it should be done.

      Such honesty is hard, to be sure. Our hearts get in the way. We are
      attached to things which are in themselves good, but which would not
      be good for us. Not everyone would make a great parent, but there are
      plenty of people who want to be badly, whether in fact they would be
      good at it or not! Whoops! Tough on the kid there! There are also
      people who would be superb parents who cannot be, yet another
      thing to be accepted truthfully.

      Anyone who has ever seen karaoke or open mike night or a piano bar
      knows that MANY who would love to be cabaret singers are far from
      that! What our hearts call us to is not always true, alas! Perhaps
      most of us have also known people who would have been fantastic
      spouses who are quite inexplicably alone.

      A big part of discerning here is careful, frank self-examination and
      self-knowledge. Another huge piece of the puzzle is looking at where
      we REALLY are and where God has presumably placed us. Not everything
      is open to every age, place or time. Were I to decide that I
      absolutely HAD to become a flamingo farmer in central New England,
      the flamingoes would be MOST unhappy by next December or so, and most
      likely all dead by February! See what I mean?

      Because our hearts are involved, there is pain when the thing desired
      is not for us. That is hard, beloveds, but pain need not be futile or
      useless. Unite your pains to those of Christ and His Mystical Body,
      to those of His Passion that all of us help bear throughout the rest
      of time. Then the Father will see only His beloved Son when He looks
      at us. Then the world will be somehow better and helped by our
      suffering, mute and unknown. Nothing is wasted with God and His
      Divine Mercy. Nothing! Nothing at all!

      A very significant postscript to all this: it is ourselves we should be
      looking at. Rarely, if ever, should we feel called upon to deliver such a
      message of being out of place to another. There are superiors and
      bosses for that in most instances, and self-appointed arbiters of
      anything at all are quite frequently a pitiable lot, spiritually speaking.

      Love and prayers and don't waste suffering, y'all!

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 26, 2016
        +PAX

        A most blessed Solemnity of the Resurrection to all who are celebrating it
        this day! Prayers, too, for our Eastern brothers and sisters who will be
        celebrating it later. Prayers that we may come to see the day when all
        Christians agree to a common means of setting the date to celebrate
        together.

        In January and February we prayed for Brigitte's mom who was in a medically
        induced coma and on a respirator for two weeks. She is all better, She's
        home, no oxygen needed, no walker needed! She's back 100%, Deo gratias and
        prayers of thanks. This truly was nothing short of a miracle. Thanks to all
        who prayed.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Colton, 22, killed in a car accident on Good
        Friday. He was an only child, so this is particularly hard on his family,
        prayers for them and form all who mourn him.

        Prayers for Tim's vocation.

        Prayers for Sr. Mary Paula and Sr. M. Emmanuel and her Mom and all their
        families.

        Prayers for Fr. Michael, OSB, scheduled to be celebrant for the Paschal
        Vigil and coming down with flu-like symptoms.

        A most blessed Solemnity of the Resurrection to all who are celebrating it
        this day! Prayers, too, for our Eastern brothers and sisters who will be
        celebrating it later. Prayers that we may come to see the day when all
        Christians agree to a common means of setting the date to celebrate
        together.

        Please pray for the happy death of Sadie, who has been given 2 months to
        live with an aggressive cancer throughout her body. Please pray that God
        will bless her with His peace and take away the fear she has throughout and
        that her family will stay close with her.

        Please pray for healing for Bradley John, who was born 2 1/2 months
        premature. He has a grade 3 hemorrhage and the doctors feel he has a strong
        chance of having cerebral palsy because of it. He is in desperate need of
        prayers, as well as his parents and grandparents, who must witness this
        suffering of a very tiny member of Gods family.

        Prayers for the eternal repose of the soul of Katie, a young mother; and
        prayers for all of her surviving family , parents, 6 siblings, her daughter
        and for all who mourn her.

        Please continue prayers for Dan, for whom we prayed after his aorta surgery.
        He is back in the hospital for heart complications.

        Lord, help us all as You know and
        will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent,
        praise
[...]

        many of us have also known people who would have been fantastic
        spouses who are quite inexplicably alone.

        A big part of discerning here is careful, frank self-examination and
        self-knowledge. Another huge piece of the puzzle is looking at where
        we REALLY are and where God has presumably placed us. Not everything
        is open to every age, place or time. Were I to decide that I
        absolutely HAD to become a flamingo farmer in central New England,
        the flamingoes would be MOST unhappy by next December or so, and most
        likely all dead well before February! See what I mean?

        Because our hearts are involved, there is pain when the thing desired
        is not for us. That is hard, beloveds, but pain need not be futile or
        useless. Make the Morning Offering. Unite your pains to those of Christ

        and His Mystical Body, to those of His Passion that all of us in His
        Mystical

        Body may help bear throughout the rest of time. Then the Father will see

        only His beloved Son when He looks at us. Then the world will be somehow

        better and helped by our suffering, mute and unknown. Nothing is wasted

        with God and His Divine Mercy. Nothing! Nothing at all!

        Love and prayers and don't waste suffering, y'all!
        Jerome, OSB
        http://www.stmarysmonastery.org <http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/>

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26

          +PAX

          Prayers for Jeff, his director at work has been let go and the future of his own job is uncertain. Prayers that God directs his future and protects him, prayers for God’s will about his job.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Ed, and for Edith, his wife, and all their family and all who mourn him. Prayers, too, for RoseAnn, who is anxious to do her very best for Ed and his family when singing at his funeral. Prayers for strength and grace for her.

          Prayers for a man in Kansas waiting for a heart transplant, and for his wife and all their family.

          Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, Josh’s Mom was discharged to her home. She has some cardiac issues, but her prognosis is good.

[...]

          the flamingoes would be MOST unhappy by November or so, and most