Holy Rule for Mar. 21

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 20, 2008
      +PAX

      A blessed and holy Sacred Triduum to all. May these holiest days of Holy Week fill all with their grace!

      Michael, major abdominal surgery Mar. 17

      Anastasia, troubled teen we have prayed for, who ran away and has returned, but who also recently attempted suicide.

      a student of Carol's who is going through a difficult time.

      Colin, 20's, blood clots in legs, lots of pain and no sick time left.

      Deo gratias, Jenny is off her ventilator and her trach has been closed, showing first signs of progress.

      Prayers for Paul and his Mother, she is elderly and frail and he is trying so hard to care for her, also for Mara, Paul's wife and all his siblings

      Chapter 42: That No One Speak After Compline

      Monastics ought to be zealous for silence at all times,
      but especially during the hours of the night.
      For every season, therefore,
      whether there be fasting or two meals,
      let the program be as follows:

      If it be a season when there are two meals,
      then as soon as they have risen from supper
      they shall all sit together,
      and one of them shall read the Conferences
      or the Lives of the Fathers
      or something else that may edify the hearers;
      not the Heptateuch or the Books of Kings, however,
      because it will not be expedient for weak minds
      to hear those parts of Scripture at that hour;
      but they shall be read at other times.

      If it be a day of fast,
      then having allowed a short interval after Vespers
      they shall proceed at once to the reading of the Conferences,
      as prescribed above;
      four or five pages being read, or as much as time permits,
      so that during the delay provided by this reading
      all may come together,
      including those who may have been occupied
      in some work assigned them.

      When all, therefore, are gathered together,
      let them say Compline;
      and when they come out from Compline,
      no one shall be allowed to say anything from that time on.
      And if anyone should be found evading this rule of silence,
      let her undergo severe punishment.
      An exception shall be made
      if the need of speaking to guests should arise
      or if the Abbess should give someone an order.
      But even this should be done with the utmost gravity
      and the most becoming restraint.

      REFLECTION

      I certainly can- and have!- sung the praises of the Grand Silence. It
      is lovely and warm and wonderful and familiar and comforting. All of
      that! But I also know that for many Oblates to read those words will
      only underscore painfully the fact that many can NOT have such a
      silence to restore them. So, what about them? What does this chapter
      have for those whose lives and vocations make Grand Silence an
      impossible dream?

      Well, first, and most briefly, we all have to seek out and cherish
      the moments of silence and solitude that may find us from time to
      time. Our society teaches us to be surrounded by noise. There may be
      times we are all but unaware of that we can diminish that noise, or
      when its removal may surprise us. Learn to make the most of such
      times! Try as best you can to increase them, so long as you are not
      stepping on the toes of others, like your family!

      But, perhaps even more importantly, those who are denied this silence
      need to be keenly aware that the sacrifice of a thing often gives
      greater spiritual growth than its possession would. That is,
      admittedly, terribly cold comfort, but it is so very true. The
      longing heart, the broken heart, the unfulfilled heart, these are all
      very ripe fields for the love and mercy of God. Not that such mercy
      and love will necessarily be felt! Often, quite the reverse! God loves
      broken hearts with the most tender of compassions. Their breached walls
      make His entry easier.

      That is why trust and faith are so important at times of deprivation
      or aridity. It is through trust that we reap the benefits, through
      knowing, even though it may not make us feel any better, that Christ
      is mercy, is not mean, is not absent and is NEVER uncaring. Never.
      As St. John Chrysostom said: "God is never the enemy of His creatures."

      Jesus told St. Faustina that He was even more close to her in times
      of desolation, when she could not feel Him, than He was in the
      closest of ecstasies. He also told her, when she was in the dull ache
      of suffering days that seemed endless, that in heaven she would long
      for such days. Why? Because then she would know their worth!

      Trust me, beloveds, I know how this can sound. There have been (and
      still are!) times in my life when hearing words like those I write
      this morning could only make me want to retch. But they are true.
      Maddening, I know, but true......!

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2016

        +PAX

        Even though it gets bumped by Holy Week this year, a blessed feast of the Passing of St. Benedict to all. May he intercede for all his sons and daughters and may we pray for each other and all Benedictines, Monks, Nuns, and Oblates.

        Prayers please for the eternal rest of Brian, for whom we prayed several years ago, and for the comfort of his wife, family and friends who will miss him. He had had several operations after a hip operation failed and he had a series of major infections. He had been in hospital for two weeks and succumbed to pneumonia.

        Deo gratias, Mike, for whom we prayed, is out of IC now and in the surgical high dependency ward. He's been talking to his family. Hopefully, after surgery cleared everything, antibiotics will now control the infection. Both he and his wife have great faith and trust in God's will. Thanks for prayers for him.

        Continued prayers for the health of Sr. Mary Paula, in rehab nursing home now. Thanks for all who prayed!

        Continued prayers for the health of Br. Meinrad, thanks to all who have prayed.

[...]

        I certainly can sing and have sung the praises of the Grand Silence. It
[...]

        God loves the broken heart with the most tender of compassions: its breached
        walls make His entry easier. That is why trust and faith are so important at times of deprivation
        or feelings of desolation or aridity.. It is through trust that we reap the
        benefits, through knowing, even though it may not make us feel any better, that Christ
        is mercy, is not mean, is not absent and is NEVER uncaring. Never.
        As St. John Chrysostom said: "God is never the enemy of His creatures."

        Jesus told St. Faustina that He was even more close to her in times
        of desolation, when she could not feel Him, than He was in the
        closest of ecstasies. He also told her, when she was in the dull ache
        of suffering days that seemed endless, that in heaven she would long
        for such days. Why? Because then she would know their worth!

        Trust me, beloveds, I know how this can sound. There have been (and
        still are!) times in my life when hearing words like those I write
        this morning could only trigger aversion in me. But they are true.
        Maddening, I know, but true......!

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 20, 2017

          +PAX

          A blessed feast of the Passing of St. Benedict to all! Let us pray for each other and for all Benedictines on this holy feast.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Nancy’s Oblate sister, and for all her family and all who mourn her.

          Deo gratias and thanksgiving prayers that Amy & Mike are pregnant. May God bless them through a safe pregnancy and delivery. It is a high-risk pregnancy for Amy; they went through fertility issues.

          Prayers for all those priests, religious and laity suffering violence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

          Healing prayers for PJ, diagnosed in utero 3 years ago with lung tumors, which caused some breathing problems at birth. He is ok now, and will still need surgery in the future to remove them. His mother, is having another baby, and is scheduled for the same type of ultrasound that originally showed the tumors in PJ's lungs. Please pray that this little one's lungs are clear of any tumors. Prayers, too, for the babies’ grandmother and all their family.

          Prayers for Rafia and the students she serves at a mission school with many needs.