Holy Rule for Mar. 20

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2008
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Wayne's Dad and Les and Erma, and all who mourn them.

      Prayers, too, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their families and loved ones and those who take care of them:

      a 32 year old mother of three young children (10 year old boy + twin girls, Ava & Mia) who has ended in the hospital (mental problems?). The second time in the last six months. This time the stay is supposed to last at least a month

      George, huge aortic aneurysm near his kidneys to be surgically repaired today, moderate survival risk.

      Brett, a 20 year old college student feels he has nothing to live for. His girlfriend of 2 years just broke up with him. His father had a mental breakdown concerning his job and was just released from the hospital. Please pray that Brett chooses to live and that his counselor is able to help him. Prayers, too, for his girfriend, Sarah, and her family, as this was hard for her and for all of them.

      Heather, 27, recurrence of cancer. Treatment doesn't seem to be working. Miracle needed.

      Braxton, 14, diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma, a type of blood cancer that is more prevalent among children than adults. The good news is that Braxton has a good prognosis. There is a strong likelihood that his cancer will be completely removed within a year. But of course there are no certainties. Prayers, too, for his parents, Beth and David, for the perfect will of God for all in this trying time.

      Lord, help us all as You know and
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 20, July 20, November 19
      Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

      From holy Easter until Pentecost
      let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
      and supper in the evening.

      From Pentecost throughout the summer,
      unless the monks have work in the fields
      let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
      on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
      This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
      if they have work in the fields
      or the heat of summer is extreme;
      the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

      Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
      in such a way that souls may be saved
      and that the brethren may do their work
      without just cause for murmuring.

      From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent
      let them always take their dinner at the ninth hour.

      In Lent until Easter let them dine in the evening.
      But this evening hour shall be so determined
      that they will not need the light of a lamp while eating,
      Indeed at all seasons
      let the hour, whether for supper or for dinner, be so arranged
      that everything will be done by daylight.

      REFLECTION

      While I wrote this largely about the US, it is, in many points, very
      easily applied to the developed world in general. I am trying
      to become more and more conscious of my international audience!

      In the US, we can be so glutted with food. Far from want, we are
      surrounded, even bombarded with plenty- and not all of it that
      nourishing! Consumerist marketing turns things upside down: food
      becomes more or less solely for pleasure, not need.

      It's a fair guess that this attitude to food in the US has influenced
      our attitude to fasting negatively. Now we look on the least thing as
      a dreadful privation, when those of us Roman Catholics who are over fifty
      can clearly recall meatless Fridays every week, all year and fasting from
      midnight on water only for Communion, even if you were just 7 years old!!

      When the US Bishops addressed the issue of Friday abstinence, they
      did not abolish it. They merely said some other form of penance might
      be substituted. Whoops! That got lost in a big hurry. How many of us
      Catholics- me included- do something extra on Friday because we do not
      abstain from meat? Might be time to take a really hard look at that.

      As always, Oblates in the world must find ways that they can fast or
      abstain without imposing monastic ways on their non-monastic
      families. However, it is worthy of note that Friday abstinence is of
      the Church, not the Holy Rule and might be safely re-instituted, with
      careful explanation as to WHY we do it, for whole families. The
      meatless idea might be easiest for many, but what if something else
      was done to really set Friday apart? Skip one, just one half-hour TV
      show and you have a slot for a devotional family practice like
      Scripture sharing or the Rosary. Could we imagine just 30 minutes
      once a week of TV gone? Find something that works for you and
      then be faithful to it.

      Our spirits are like our bodies in many respects. If we get soft, we
      get weak, if we get lazy, our energy actually diminishes while our
      total lives suffer from that inactivity. That's why Christian life
      itself, not just monastic life, is a life requiring a fair amount of
      discipline, of pushing oneself, of self-denial. Those values still
      exist in the secular world, but are usually only invoked for profit, fame,
      power or sex. See what I mean? We need badly to get our acts together
      in the affluent, developed nations.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 19, 2016
        +PAX

        Blessed Palm Sunday and Holy Week to all! May we be filled with graces as
        Easter approaches!

        Belated birthday prayers for Eileen, many graces galore and many more years.
        Ad multos annos!

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Officer Allen Jacobs, 28, a decorated
        veteran of the Iraqi War, he was the father of two young boys and his wife
        is pregnant with their third child. He was killed in the line of duty.
        Prayers for all his family and all who mourn him. The suspect, 17, took his
        own life. Prayers that the suspect repented at the last moments and prayers
        for his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for Br. Meinrad of Pluscarden. He has a growth which was causing a
        blockage and jaundice. He lost a lot of weight. They did a bypass around the
        growth, which solved the immediate problem, but the growth is too small to
        biopsy yet, so they are going to wait 6 months and see if it grows. Prayers
        that it not be cancerous, please. He is starting to gain some weight back
        and appreciates the prayers very much.

        Deo gratias and continued prayers for healing: Mike has had his peritoneal
        catheter removed and is now off the ventilator. They hope he'll be moved out
        of intensive care tomorrow.

        Please pray also for a young man in trouble. Eileen's policeman son and
        colleagues have been searching for him along a big canal in Greater London
        as he is a potential suicide. Her son already dealt with another suicide
        yesterday, another man who jumped from a flyover. It is one of the more
        distressing aspects of his job. Prayers for Eileen's son, his colleagues and
        for the eternal rest of the suicides they deal with. Prayers, too, that the
        one they are seeking is found alive and for the families and all who mourn
        the dead.

        Prayers for Renata, who struggles with food problems and prayers for all
        those who have other sorts of eating disorders.

        Lord, help us all as You know and
        will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent,
        praise
        Him! Thanks so much. JL

        March 20, July 20, November 19
        Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

        From holy Easter until Pentecost
        let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
        and supper in the evening.

        From Pentecost throughout the summer,
        unless the monks have work in the fields
        let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
        on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
        This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
        if they have work in the fields
        or the heat of summer is extreme;
        the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

        Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
        in such a way that souls may be saved
        and that the brethren may do their work
        without just cause for murmuring.

        From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent
[...]

        Catholics do something penitential on Friday when we do not
        abstain from meat? Might be time to take a really hard look at that.
        If you do not abstain from meat, make sure you have some other form of

        Penance on Fridays.

        It is worthy of note that Friday abstinence is of
        the Church, not the Holy Rule and might be safely re-instituted, with
        careful explanation as to WHY we do it, for whole families. The
        meatless idea might be easiest for many, but what if something else
        in addition was done to really set Friday apart? Skip one, just one
        half-hour TV
        show and you have a slot for a devotional family practice like
        Scripture sharing or the Rosary. Could we imagine just 30 minutes
        once a week of TV gone? Find something that works for you and
        then be faithful to it.

        Our spirits are like our bodies in many respects. If we get soft, we
        get weak, if we get lazy, our energy actually diminishes while our
        total lives suffer from that inactivity. That's why Christian life
        itself, not just monastic life, is a life requiring a fair amount of
        discipline, of pushing oneself, of self-denial. Those values still
        exist in the secular world, but are usually only invoked for profit, fame,
        power or sex. See what I mean? We need badly to get our acts together
        in the affluent, developed nations.

        ._,___

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19

          +PAX

          A blessed solemnity of St. Joseph (transferred from yesterday,) to all. Prayers again for all who claim St. Joseph as their patron.

          Prayers for Shirley, that her meds will fend off a bout of lung congestion turning into pneumonia. Prayers, too, for her husband, Edward, and her family.

          Prayers for the happy death of Chuck, and for all his family and all who will mourn him, especially, John, Gail, and Renick. I don’t know if he is Catholic or not, but prayers that he gets all the Sacraments and graces he can.

          Prayers for Trevor, on his birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

          Prayers for John, discerning an Oblate vocation.

          Prayers for the intentions of Mark and his family, he is an Oblate candidate at St. Mary’s Monastery and he has a lovely wife and five children.

          Prayers for Scott, a Lay Trappist who will be on retreat at St. Joseph's Abbey this week, that he may find the silence, solitude and time alone with God that he so desperately needs to keep his spiritual life in balance.

          Prayers for Donovan, trying to overcome a habitual sin.

          Prayers for Josh, who went off his meds on his own and has had a bad time of things after doing so.

          Lord, help us all as You know and
          will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent,
          praise
          Him! Thanks so much. JL

          March 20, July 20, November 19
          Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

          From holy Easter until Pentecost
          let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
          and supper in the evening.

          From Pentecost throughout the summer,
          unless the monks have work in the fields
          let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
          on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
          This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
          if they have work in the fields
          or the heat of summer is extreme;
          the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

          Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
          in such a way that souls may be saved
          and that the brethren may do their work
          without just cause for murmuring.

          From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent
[...]

          in addition was done to really set Friday apart? Add a devotional family

          practice like Scripture sharing or the Rosary.  Find something that works