Holy Rule for Mar. 5

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of:

      Betty, 86, who went to God on Sunday, and for her niece, Cheryl, and all their family.

      Dawn, who took her own life, for her 6 year old daughter, Amber, and for her parents, Bob and Deb and all who mourn her.

      Nikki, suffering depression.

      Jeanne, a Deo gratias for passing her first round of exams for her doctorate.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will
      is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so
      much. JL

      Mar 5, Jul 5, Nov 4
      Chapter 28: On Those Who Will Not Amend after Repeated Corrections

      If a sister who has been frequently corrected for some fault,
      and even excommunicated,
      does not amend,
      let a harsher correction be applied,
      that is, let the punishment of the rod be administered.

      But if she still does not reform
      or perhaps (which God forbid)
      even rises up in pride and wants to defend her conduct,
      then let the Abbess do what a wise physician would do.
      Having used applications,
      the ointments of exhortation,
      the medicines of the Holy Scriptures,
      finally the cautery of excommunication
      and of the strokes of the rod,
      if she sees that her efforts are of no avail,
      let her apply a still greater remedy,
      her own prayers and those of all the others,
      that the Lord, who can do all things
      may restore health to the sister who is sick.

      But if she is not healed even in this way,
      then let the Abbess use the knife of amputation,
      according to the Apostle's words,
      "Expel the evil one from your midst" (1 Cor. 5:13),
      and again,
      "If the faithless one departs, let her depart" (1 Cor. 7:15)
      lest one diseased sheep contaminate the whole flock.

      REFLECTION

      The Holy Rule and its author, St. Benedict, are tremendously kind,
      insisting that we go all the way we possibly can and even a bit
      beyond with the erring. All that love and care and sorely tried
      patience is absolutely necessary before this point, "the knife of
      amputation," is reached. This, too, is a great and important part of
      mercy, though we may not easily see that at first.

      It is tremendously unkind, unloving and unmerciful to hang onto a
      person to whom we can no longer offer hope of treatment or genuine
      help. There are times when such played out relationships become
      terribly toxic to the sufferer and to all concerned. There are times
      when nothing is left but, as AA would put it, to let that person hit
      bottom.

      Even that may or may not work, but we sometimes have nothing
      else to apply. To continue forbearance at such a time is merely to
      enable, to actually participate in the person's self-destruction. Al
      Anon (sp.?) could tell you a lot about the wisdom of enabling.

      This is so hard for us, to finally, seemingly "give up" on someone.
      In truth, we never do that. We still pray, we must, but we must also
      have the humility to admit that we no longer be of useful help, that
      we are even likely to harm further by enabling.

      That is an affront to our natural pride: we OUGHT to be able to heal
      ANYTHING, ANYONE... Sigh... But we aren't. We are also wounded, also
      imperfect, neither better nor more capable than the poor sufferer for
      whom we erroneously think we can be a healing god from the sky.

      St. Benedict is NOT saying to give up on the person- I still pray
      for people who left decades ago and probably should have done so. I
      have no idea where they are or what they're doing, but I do know the
      monastery didn't seem to be the place that was most helpful to them,
      nor were they particularly a gift to the community.

      What St. Benedict is saying is that we must have the wisdom and
      humility to stop trying things that don't work, for the good of all
      concerned, including ourselves. When this point is reached, no one
      can help but God. He can always do so, but to wait for Him to do it
      in a situation already mired beyond hope in dysfunction is not a
      great notion. Fix what you can and pray for the rest.

      Bob and Deb
      and their daughter Dawn whom we have also known for years. Dawn
      overdosed last weekend.She leaves a six year old daughter Amber.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for the 16 killed in an attack on a Catholic elderly home in Yemen, among them four Missionaries of Charity, Mother Teresa’s nuns, and for the Sisters’ Community, the families of all and for all who mourn them. Prayers, too, for the conversion and repentance of the attackers.

        Continued prayers for the health of Sr. Mary Paula.

        Prayers for Br. Aelred, of Pluscarden, on his feastday. Graces galore and many more! Prayers for the eternal rest of Br. Aelred Seton, and for all our other Aelreds, too.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Andrew, for whom we prayed, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Joe, SJ, who died after a year of suffering since having a stroke, and for all his family, Community and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Roger, on his birthday, and for all who mourn him.

        Prayers for Lisa, on her birthday, graces galore and many more. Ad multos annos!

        Prayers for the success of retreats in three Syro-Malabar Catholic Churches in the US.

        Continued prayers for Daniel, ear is better, Deo gratias, but still cannot find the papers he lost. Prayers to St. Anthony, please.

        Continued prayers for Thomas, waiting to hear from a job interview, if God wills, may he get the job.

        Deo gratias and prayers of thanks for Jeff; his hip replacement surgery went well and he is making progress in his recovery. Continued prayers for his recovery.

        Prayers for Elaine, that she may get a good performance appraisal at work.

        Prayers for Joshua, discerning his vocation.

        Prayers please for Traci's son Russ who seems to be struggling with direction in his young adult life.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Sabine, who died suddenly last week and for her grieving husband, Keith, all her family and all who mourn her.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of  Alan W and John C, both talented musicians who died recently, and for all their families and all who mourn them.

        Continued prayers for Des and for Prue, who is nursing him at home. He does not want to see a priest. His passing will hit the family very hard. Ardent prayers for his happy death and that he receives the Sacraments.

        Deo Gratias for Noreen, for who we prayed, recovering from serious cancer surgery and ready to undergo chemo.

        Deo gratias  for Karl, for whom we prayed, who is making good progress following cancer surgery. He is now able to eat normally and is starting to play his clarinet.

        Prayers for John’s Mum, Doreen, who fell and broke her wrist. She has severe dementia and other health issues.

        Prayers for Rosi, who recently had a lung tumour removed. For her continued recovery.

        Prayers for David, that all works out in his new living place.

[...]

        whom we erroneously think we can be a healer.

        St. Benedict is NOT saying to give up on the person- I still pray
        for people who left decades ago and probably should have done so. I
        have no idea where they are or what they're doing, but I do know the
        monastery didn't seem to be the place that was most helpful to them,
        nor were they particularly a gift to the community.

        What St. Benedict is saying is that we must have the wisdom and
        humility to stop trying things that don't work, for the good of all
        concerned, including ourselves. When this point is reached, no one
        can help but God. Fix what you can and pray for the rest.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4

          +PAX

          Prayers for Br. Aelred, of Pluscarden, on his feastday, graces galore and many more, as multos annos. Prayers for all our Aelreds, especially for the eternal rest for Br. Aelred Seton, and for all who mourn him.

          Prayers for Fr. Gregory, on the silver anniversary of his vows.  Many more, ad multos annos.

          Prayers for Sr. Mary Paula, very special intention. Many prayers, please.

          Prayers for Sr. M. Christine, having surgery on the 7th, for a successful operation and speedy recovery.

          Prayers for Tom, on his birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Carl, in his 20’s, who took his own life, and for his family and all who mourn him.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Roger, on his birthday, and for all who mourn him.

          Prayers for Lisa, on her birthday, graces galore and many more. Ad multos annos.

          Prayers for Fr. Benedict, OP, on his birthday. He asks all for an Our Father and Hail Mary for some special intentions he has.

          Prayers for the happy death of Len, dying slowly for weeks from liver cancer. Not certain whether or not he is a believer, prayers that he has all the spiritual benefits he can gain, and prayers for his wife, Maureen, as this has been so terrible for her, too. Prayers for his family and all who will mourn him.

          Healing prayers for peace and reconciliation in a seriously troubled marriage.

          Prayers that Elaine heals completely from all medical tests she just had and her biopsy comes back clean and there is no cancer.

[...]

          That is an affront to our natural pride: we should to be able to heal