Holy Rule for Feb. 21

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Fr. Ed McDonough,CSSR, and for all who mourn him.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who treat them or care for them:

      Deo ghratias and thanks for Cate, whose leg surgery went very well.

      Samuel, 3, (for whom we have prayed) who experienced another seizure while being examined by the neurologist. Still no diagnosis but teats to follow.

      for one who is striving to discover true humility, to be humble enough to do what one ought to do and not try what one ought not to do - and trust in God...

      Lord, help us all as You know and
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Let this verse be said:
      "Incline unto my aid, O God;
      O Lord, make haste to help me,"
      and the "Glory be to the Father"
      then the hymn proper to each Hour.

      Then at Prime on Sunday
      four sections of Psalm 118 are to be said;
      and at each of the remaining Hours,
      that is Terce, Sext and None,
      three sections of the same Psalm 118.

      At Prime on Monday let three Psalms be said,
      namely Psalms 1, 2 and 6.
      And so each day at Prime until Sunday
      let three Psalms be said in numerical order, to Psalm 19,
      but with Psalms 9 and 17 each divided into two parts.
      Thus it comes about that the Night Office on Sunday
      always begins with Psalm 20.

      REFLECTION

      Since Prime was to be said before work, its Psalms could vary. The
      Tuesday through Saturday repetition of the same 9 Psalms for minor
      hours excludes Prime, which was probably said in Church or Chapter
      room, or partially in both. Since Prime was celebrated where books
      were available, it could use different Psalms every day and did.
      There was no need for the memorization which would allow farmer monks
      to celebrate None in the midst of a hayfield.

      The distinction of lay brothers and sisters who did not celebrate the
      full choral Office did not come about until long after St. Benedict's
      time. Hence, there were choir monks and nuns working in the fields
      who had to fulfill their obligation. This at least partially explains
      the use of the same nine Psalms every day on the week's 6 work days,
      with variations only on Sunday, when all could be in Church. Those
      nine Psalms slipped readily into memory and no books were required
      for the minor Hours while at work.

      I was glad to hear from some who especially loved the prayers of
      Prime. So do I! Here, however, is yet another offering from the
      Office of Prime: its hymn. Being metrical, it is easily memorized. A
      nurse friend of mine told me years ago she used to sing this hymn
      every morning at an Episcopalian summer camp for kids. Not a bad idea at
      all! Enjoy! If the commute to morning work or school allowed for
      nothing else, it could always easily include this!

      Petersham, MA 01366

      HYMN

      Now that the daylight fills the sky
      We lift our hearts to God on high,
      That He, in all we do or say,
      Would keep us free from harm today:

      Would guard our hearts and tongues from strife;
      From anger's din would hide our life;
      From evil sights would turn our eyes;
      Would close our ears to vanities.

      So we, when this new day is gone
      and night in turn is drawing on,
      With conscience by the world unstained
      Shall praise His name for vict'ry gained.

      To God the Father and the Son
      And Holy Spirit, three in one,
      Be endless glory as before
      The world began, so evermore. Amen.