Holy Rule for Feb. 16

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2008
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who treat or take care of them:

      Deo gratias, Michael's great grandson, Samuel, did not have to be admitted, but no diagnosis as to what caused the seizure, so prayers for the neurological work up that will follow.

      Deo gratuas, Jane's father-in-law, Jack, successfully completed his radiation and it seems there are no cancer cells left, some extra seeded radiation to follow and close cardiac monitoring.

      Deo gratias for Luigi, on his birthday: ad multos annos, many years! Lord,
      help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.

      Chapter 13: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said on Weekdays

      The Morning and Evening Offices
      should never be allowed to pass
      without the Superior saying the Lord's Prayer
      in its place at the end
      so that all may hear it,
      on account of the thorns of scandal which are apt to spring up.
      Thus those who hear it,
      being warned by the covenant which they make in that prayer
      when they say, "Forgive us as we forgive,"
      may cleanse themselves of faults against that covenant.

      But at the other Offices
      let the last part only of that prayer be said aloud,
      so that all may answer, "But deliver us from evil."

      REFLECTION

      If one just counts the times we say the Our Father aloud, at Mass,
      Lauds and Vespers, it's three times a day. Actually, given the silent
      repetitions at minor Hours, Compline and grace at table, the number
      jumps considerably. Added up, that can be pretty damning evidence at
      the Judgement seat if we don't mean what we are saying!

      Do we forgive? Do we really want His Kingdom to come? Or His Will to
      be done? Probably, in most cases, yes and no... The work of our
      monastic lives is to make that equation all "yes"! We argue with God
      over His Will, we seek to change His mind, as if we really could! As
      for forgiveness and His Kingdom, well, you can't have one without the
      other! The very equality of all in God's love that will obtain in the
      Kingdom already chafes us when we stop to think of someone we
      mightily WISH He did not love quite that much!

      As Dorothy Day's friend, Fr. Hugo, used to say: "You love God as
      much as the one you love the least." That remark shames me every
      single time I think of it. It is a great barometer of just how far
      one has to go, of how much God really matters to one. So far, I have
      never had a shortage of people I loved little enough to be quite
      embarrassed. But I am working on it, and that is all any of us can do.

      This perfection called for in the Lord's Prayer is a task we will
      never complete. There will always be more to do, our ducks will never
      be in a row, we will never and can never be utterly perfect. That's
      why we need a Savior, that's what He did. That's how ALL the "i's"
      got dotted and "t's" got crossed (literally!)

      Jesus does call us to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect, but He
      also knows that job will never be finished. He wants us to keep trying, but
      He certainly knows that no one could do that exactly without becoming God.
      Let us be frank in holding out no hope of anyone ever doing that!
      Still, we must aim for that goal and strive for it. Jesus Himself asked us
      to do that.

      Quick: Think of the last happy perfectionist you've known! There
      aren't any. That's the rub. Nothing and no one is perfect down here!
      They're missing a HUGE part of the puzzle, God and His Mercy and Grace.
      Small wonder they can be cranky sometimes! Excessive perfectionism has
      links to negative stuff like fear, insecurity and self-loathing. God's type
      of perfection is rooted in trust and love and yes, even joy!

      Brittany had complications in her dental surgery, needing bone grafts, lots of swelling and pain, so continued prayers.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15

        +PAX

        Prayers for Lucy, experiencing darkness on her spiritual journey since her Oblation.

        Prayers for Joshua, having a sigmoidoscopy, may the exam bring good news.

        Birthday prayers for R., graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Joe C., and for all his family, especially Roy and Kim, and for all who mourn him.

        Prayers for Dion, struggling to overcome a habitual sin.

        Prayers for the happy death of Antti’s father, 85, cancer is spreading, prayers that he gets all the Sacraments and the Apostolic Pardon. Prayers for Antti and all their family and all who will mourn his father.

        Prayers for Diane, being checked for breast cancer.

        Prayers for Shirley, in a convalescent home after a stroke, prayers that she can recover and go home.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Ralph, who died of Lou Gehrig's disease/ALS, and for his family and all who mourn him. He died outside the Church, so extra prayers, please.

        Prayers for Encarnacion M,. who has cancer of the breast and now is in hospice care. May the Lord grant her a happy death and help her in her present situation and may the Holy Spirit help Nita, her caregiver, to make the right decision.

        Prayers for Josie, who had a recent fall and that there will be no complications  from the fall and may God ease her pain.

        Prayers for Ralph, estranged from family and friends, that he forgive, make peace and contact them.

        Prayers for N., special needs intention.

[...]

        be done? We argue with God over His Will, we seek to change His mind,

[...]

        got dotted and "t's" got crossed (literally!) That's also part of our purgatory,

        the final perfection and a great mercy.

        Jesus does call us to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect, but He
        also knows that job will never be finished. He wants us to keep trying, but
        He certainly knows that no one could do that exactly without becoming God.
        Let us be frank in holding out no hope of anyone ever doing that!
        Still, that is the standard He set for us. we must aim for that goal and strive
        for it. Jesus Himself asked us to do that.