Holy Rule for Feb. 5

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2008
      +PAX

      For the spirirtual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Dan, for a happy death and eternal rest. He died after a long and difficult illness also for his wife and family.

      Marie who is in her 80s and is suffering from a bad bout of pneumonia.

      Mark who is still battling depression.

      Jim, suffering from S.A.D and is having a tough time.

      Maria, diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and is in hospice.

      Laura, Fr. Paul's Mother, 96 and dying, and for Fr. Paul battling painful sciatica while trying to care for her.

      That as we start Lent this Wednesday that all those seeking God will find peace.

      The eighth degree of humility
      is that a monk do nothing except what is commended
      by the common Rule of the monastery
      and the example of the elders.

      REFLECTION

      I am a much bigger fan of early Sinatra than I am of his later
      career. One of the hits of his closing years, which was also recorded
      by Elvis, was "My Way." It quickly became the defining anthem for
      many in the rather egocentric late 20th century. Actually, though
      both men sang it as an apologia/defense for their lives, by the time
      they got around to recording it, an apology in the more usual sense
      of the term might have been much more in order.

      Couple these two guys with a third, Tony Bennett, in an imaginary trio
      for another hit, "I've Gotta Be Me" and you have the secular rationale
      of the self in a nutshell. I really love Tony Bennett, and I used to own a
      copy of his recording of "I've Gotta Be Me", but now I rather wish he'd
      passed up on that one.

      Both songs take the healthy notion of self and elevate it to a level
      of distortion and falsity. Like any heresy, they erroneously elevate
      a part of truth to being the whole truth and that spells trouble. Our
      selves are wonderful, unique, precious gifts, so are children. Leave
      either unbridled and malformed and you will regret it.

      Humility forms rightly because it is truth. Like the Gospel itself,
      humility is the exact reverse of many a worldly tune. The real,
      objective truth lies in the paradox, in the tension of yes AND no to
      many things which the world would accept unquestioningly as "YES!"

      So, here comes the 8th degree. It's message is that it is most safe
      to assume that doing it one's own way is neither right nor terribly
      bright. We may find that sometimes we are right, but even there, so
      long as the action is morally neutral, the wise course is subjection
      to the common mind. Benedictines swim in schools, it's our nature to
      do so.

      In fact, even doing it some other monastery's tested, tried and true way
      makes no sense. God calls us to the house and the observance that
      will best suit us. If we have made a mistake in hearing Him, He will
      somehow gets us to transfer (unless we STILL can't hear Him!)
      Otherwise, let things alone.

      We come to a distinct monastery and congregation, to the Rule, to be
      taught, not to teach them. We come to be directed, not to direct, to
      be formed, not to form. If we allow all those things to happen to us
      in humility we quite likely WILL be elements of change for the better
      in the community's history, but that change will be one planned by
      God, not ourselves.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5

        +PAX

        Prayers for Joshua, intestinal problems and a colonoscopy pending, he is praying that no surgery will be required..

        Prayers for Fr. Mark, OSB, who may be nearing the end of his battle with cancer, for his happy death and for his family, Community and all who will mourn him.

        Prayers for Oblate Mike, his wife, Susan, and all their family. He has aggressive myeloma and is on dialysis, he has been given a few months to live. Prayers for his happy death with all the Sacraments ad the Apostolic Pardon.

        Prayers for Brigitte’s Mom, recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and for all her family.

        The eighth degree of humility
        is that a monk do nothing except what is commended
        by the common Rule of the monastery
        and the example of the elders.

        REFLECTION

        [How many of you can tell I used to be a radio DJ by reading this? And I loved
        it!]

        I am a much bigger fan of early Sinatra than I am of his later
        career. One of the hits of his closing years, which was also recorded
        by Elvis, was "My Way." It quickly became the defining anthem for
        many in the rather egocentric late 20th century.

        Couple these two guys with a third, Tony Bennett, in an imaginary trio
        for another hit, "I've Gotta Be Me" and you have the secular rationale
        of the self in a nutshell. I really love Tony Bennett, and I used to own a
        copy of his recording of "I've Gotta Be Me", but now I rather wish he'd
        passed up on that one.

        Both songs take the healthy notion of self and elevate it to a level
        of distortion and falsity. They erroneously elevate