Holy Rule for Jan. 31

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2008
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all thier loved ones and for all who take care of them:

      Angelina, 16, for the perfect will of God in a friendship that worries her parents.
      Brittany, for safe travel and to choose the university God wants her to attend.
      Charlene and Murray, travelling to find a school for their sons, one of whom is autisitc.

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility

      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      REFLECTION

      Merton once wrote "Love is the Rule." That's what we can so often
      miss. One obeys out of love, love of God.

      Trust my limited experience here, please, if we are acting on solely
      human considerations, there is no human being on earth whose tool kit
      is so complete that one can joyously follow and obey them without any
      reserve or hesitation, not one. But we aren't doing it for human reasons:
      we are obeying for God.

      We do it for love, not for wisdom. We do it for love, not for taste
      or class or savoir faire. We do it for love, not because the superior
      is brilliant or right or gifted in any way. We don't do it because of
      the superior at all, if we are going about things the right way. We
      do it for love, for love of God.

      Anything less than love of God as a motive will fall flat on its
      face, and sooner rather than later! It never takes long. Life itself,
      within the cloister or without, is full of so much purblind stupidity
      and outright rubbish that nothing could sustain one other than love
      of God.

      When one is younger, one can often play "Father or Mother knows
      best." (Superiors who are control freaks love and encourage this
      ploy, even as a life script. Not wise...) That's not the point and it
      doesn't work for long either.

      Mother or Father might quite pointedly know nothing at all. The will
      of God sometimes comes through to us in spite of them, not because they
      are wise or stupid, right or wrong, but because of love, God's love for us.
      Many,
      many people in the church do the will of God for reasons that have little
      or nothing to do with God!

      They may do it unwittingly, they may do it cruelly or wrong-headedly, but
      that hardly matters: the will of God comes through. I think there is a
      mystical
      point where the love and will of God for one cannot ultimately be thwarted,
      where it is actually advanced by humans who have not a clue what they are
      doing.
      Even some actively opposed to His will nevertheless advance it without a
      clue. God can use anything, even His opponents, to do good for those who
      love Him, who trust Him and let Him act in their souls.

      We do it for love, and that love will shield us, regardless, in the
      armor of His will. We must only trust Him, trust His Divine Mercy,
      always trust!

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30

        +PAX

        Prayers for the eternal rest of the six killed and the recovery of the eight injured in a terrorist shooting at a Quebec City mosque, prayers for the families of all and for the conversion and repentance of the two alleged shooters.

        Prayers for Maggie, Mary Rose and Colten, on their birthdays. Graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

        Prayers for Ebenezer, a seminarian in Africa, he particularly asks folks to remember him in their rosaries.

        Prayers for Erin, her stillborn baby and the baby’s father and all their family.

        January 31, June 1, October 1
        Chapter 7: On Humility

        The third degree of humility is that a person
        for love of God
        submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
        imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
        "He became obedient even unto death."

        REFLECTION

        The Holy Rule is all about love. That's what we can so often
[...]

        The will of God sometimes comes through to us in spite of others, not because they
        are wise or stupid, right or wrong, but because of love, God's love for us.
        Some people in authority advance the will of God for reasons that have little