Holy Rule for Jan. 29

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008

      Prayers please for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Jenn, 28, recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and
      Amy,22, said first word today after stroke 2 years ago.
      Teresa, 32, who is to have surgery this week on a herniated disk in her neck. Also for her mother, Dianne, who is very worried.
      Dot's mother, Marjorie, 90+, who is recovering from surgery to repair 2 spinal fractures suffered when she slipped on ice.
      Archbishop Daniel Buchlein, OSB, of Idianapolis, newly diagmosed with Hodgkin's disese, cancer of the lymph nodes.
      Fr. Michael Ithondeka, 41, killed in post-election violence in Kenya. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      We must be on our guard, therefore, against evil desires,
      for death lies close by the gate of pleasure.
      Hence the Scripture gives this command:
      "Go not after your concupiscences" (Eccles. 18:30).
      So therefore,
      since the eyes of the Lord observe the good and the evil (Prov. 15:3)
      and the Lord is always looking down from heaven
      on the children of earth
      "to see if there be anyone who understands and seeks God" (Ps. 13:2),
      and since our deeds are daily,
      day and night,
      reported to the Lord by the Angels assigned to us,
      we must constantly beware, brethren,
      as the Prophet says in the Psalm,
      lest at any time God see us falling into evil ways
      and becoming unprofitable (Ps. 13:3);
      and lest, having spared us for the present
      because in His kindness He awaits our reformation,
      He say to us in the future,
      "These things you did, and I held My peace" (Ps. 49:21).

      REFLECTION

      Notice how this portion of the chapter harks back to the Prologue:
      God watches us, and His angels, as well. God waits for our
      reformation. All that beautiful prose of progress and hope in the
      Prologue is intimately linked to humility. Without humility, we
      aren't going anywhere!

      Something else is going on here, since we ourselves must watch and be
      on our guard. Without the eyes of faith, we can miss the fact that
      God or the Angels are watching, but we can never miss our own
      vigilance. We always know when we are being careful and the message
      here is to live carefully all the time, to be mindful, to be on the
      lookout for deceptions and traps.

      "Go not after your concupiscences." Some older translations render
      this "lusts", while the New English Bible has "passions." Certainly,
      concupiscence means desire, but it carries, as do the other two
      terms, a connotation of sexual desire. I am not at all sure that a
      monk of St. Benedict's time would have limited it that strongly.

      Read the Desert Fathers and the Eastern Orthodox monastics of today and
      you will find that the "passions" have, in their works, a far more
      expanded sense, encompassing any desire that can go to extremes. And,
      let us face it, just about all desires, short of the desire to love
      God, can go to extremes!

      There is something reminiscent of a Buddhist principle here: all
      suffering is rooted in desire and peace is the absence of desire.
      The Buddhists certainly did not mean just sexuality. They meant, as I
      think St. Benedict did, detachment from everything, a holy
      indifference to one's condition. That's tough to pull off, and most
      human beings will never go the whole way, but every step in the
      direction of such serenity leaves us freer, freer for God, freer to
      be what He created us to be.

      We live in a secular age that goes far beyond merely baptizing our
      desires: it GLORIFIES them! The late 20th century was unmistakably
      the zenith of the self in human thought. We are actually challenged
      to "follow your bliss." Gee, that sounded nice the first time I heard
      it.

      But, on the other hand, what a trap. Let me be the first to assure
      you that my blisses have gotten me repeatedly into one heck of a lot
      of trouble. We cannot become like Rousseau and assume a noble savage
      image here. We aren't that noble, though we can usually count on the
      savage part...

      Some of our "blisses" are wrong. They are bound to be. And some of
      them, even though neutral, are bound to make us crazy if we make them
      too important. "Go not after thy lusts" means a lot more than just
      sex, it means any inordinate desire. Balance, beloveds, always balance!