Holy Rule for Jan. 27

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2008

      Patty, who is suffering from depression and agoraphobia, and who just had her hours at work drastically cut. Prayers for employment, too.

      L. having some troubles with Oblate candidacy, that God lead exactly where He perfectly wills.

      D who lost both parents in one year and is now suffering from loneliness, sorrow and grief, acedia maybe, that he may find peace of the heart !

      Let a man consider
      that God is always looking at him from heaven,
      that his actions are everywhere visible to the divine eyes
      and are constantly being reported to God by the Angels.
      This is what the Prophet shows us
      when he represents God as ever present within our thoughts,
      in the words "Searcher of minds and hearts is God" (Ps. 7:10)
      and again in the words "The Lord knows the thoughts of men" (Ps.
      93:11).
      Again he says,
      "You have read my thoughts from afar" (Ps. 138:3)
      and "The thoughts of people will confess to You" (Ps. 75:11).

      In order that he may be careful
      about his wrongful thoughts, therefore,
      let the faithful brother say constantly in his heart,
      "Then shall I be spotless before Him,
      if I have kept myself from my iniquity" (Ps. 17:24).

      REFLECTION

      One of the things I always wanted to get for Dame Maggie, my late
      cat, was a bird feeder that I saw. Picture an air conditioner put in
      a window backwards, with the protrusion inside. It was like that, but
      rather like an aquarium made of one way mirrors. The birds, all
      unwitting, came INSIDE to dine in that mirrored cube and I'll bet she
      would have loved it. Alas, the price was out of the question.

      Ah, how like those birds we are! Unfortunately, we CAN afford the
      cubes of mirrored walls all to easily: we create them ourselves, with
      our own illusions and ignorance and forgetfulness. We live and move
      in the falsity that we are unobserved. We forget altogether that God
      and His angels see us in every moment, in every place.

      Ever look over your shoulder to see if the boss was around? Ever
      relax because your parent or spouse was gone to the store and you had
      at least an hour of privacy? Most of us have. Kids behave differently
      (a LOT differently!!) when the teacher is out of the classroom or has
      turned away from them. We are conditioned to monitor our behavior
      according to who is or is not present.

      The the big-time difference with our loving God is that He is
      always in the office, never leaves the classroom, and never goes to
      the store. Faced with that truth, we defend ourselves with the only
      foolish thing we have left: forgetfulness of His presence. Well, sorry,
      beloveds, I don't care how good it may feel, even to me, but it is false.

      He doesn't leave. He's always there. The spiritual world is all about us
      at every second, every instant. We just would rather not credit the
      fact, but that in no way makes it otherwise. It's a big mistake to
      think of the omnipresence of God as outdated, as something that
      happened "back then" but not now. That omnipresence never changes.

      As the poet Francis Thompson put it:

      "The angels keep their ancient places,
      Turn but a stone and start a wing!
      'Tis we, 'tis our estranged faces
      That miss the many splendored thing."

      Now, what is all this doing in a chapter on humility? Easy! We can be
      proud if we think we are not found out. The child who deals with a
      teacher who hasn't seen is a VERY different kid from the one who has
      been caught! We HAVE to be humble if we admit we have been caught. We
      have to remind ourselves that nothing happens in secret and, having
      said that, that our track record is hardly so sterling as the one we
      would like to present to the world. Humility is truth, truth is the
      correct accordance of the mind with reality. And the reality is that
      we all fall regularly!

      Ever hear married folks talk about things they quit
      doing when no longer single? They thought they were alone before!
      Ever have the illusion of privacy yourself, like just before shower
      with the door firmly closed. Ha! Thought you were alone, didn't you?
      Sigh... it is so deep in us!

      Now, look, this is not to get you crazy about video cameras in every
      place. (Look how used we are to them, in fact!) The whole purpose
      here is just to get us more in tune with reality and the reality is
      that we could always be better. So there comes conversion of manners,
      that other Benedictine vow: we must never stop striving to be better.
      Face it, m'dears, we live and move and have our being in the banquet
      hall of the greatest King. Whether we credit that or not, it is so.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26

        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for our postulant, Tim, and for Br. Timothy of Pluscarden, on their patronal feast. May God fill them both with graces galore and many more. Ad multos annos! Prayers for all our Timothys and Tituses celebrating today.

        Prayers for Matt, father of 8 and an excellent teacher. He is in danger of losing his job because of false rumors. Prayers that the truth prevails and his job is safe. He could lose his family’s home if they fire him. Ardent prayers that the rumors are disproven and he is safe in his job.

        Prayers for all those killed, injured or who lost property or possessions in the terrible storms that hit the South and Southeastern US. Prayers for the eternal rest of the dead, the recovery of the injured, and the families of all. They really need our prayers.

[...]

        beloveds, but it is false.

        He doesn't leave. He's always there. The spiritual world is all about us
        at every second, every instant. We just would rather not credit the
        fact, but that in no way makes it otherwise. It's a big mistake to
        think of the omnipresence of God as outdated, as something that
        happened "back then" but not now. That omnipresence never changes.

        Now, what is all this doing in a chapter on humility? Easy! We can be
        proud if we think we are not found out. The child who deals with a
        teacher who hasn't seen can be a very different kid from the one who has
        been caught! We are hopefully humble if we admit we have been caught. We
        have to remind ourselves that nothing happens in secret and, having
        said that, that our track record is hardly so sterling as the one we
        would like to present to the world. Humility is truth, truth is the
        correct accordance of the mind with reality. And the reality is that
        we all fall regularly!

        Ever hear married folks talk about things they quit
        doing when no longer single? They thought they were alone before!
        Ever have the illusion of privacy yourself, with the door firmly closed?
        Ha! Thought you were alone, didn't you?
        Sigh... it is so deep in us!

        We are never really alone, God and His angels are always watching.

        The purpose here is to get us more in tune with reality and the reality is