The Te Deum for New Year's Eve

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2007

      In years past, the custom prevailed in many places of welcoming the New Year
      with a Te Deum of thanksgiving for the year completed and for the new years
      dawning. Of course, for those who have a Roman Liturgy of the Hours book that
      includes the Office of Readings, it would still be the custom: the Te Deum
      is said with the Office of Readings for New Year's Day, the Solemnity of the
      Mother of God.

      However, since many do not have access to the four volume Liturgy of the
      Hours, or the one volume that has just the Office of Readings, I thought I'd dig
      up a text in English of the Te Deum. This one is from 1662! It originally appeared in
      the Book of Common Prayer that year. Hence, its language is a bit archaic, yet it
      has the lovely ring of Prayer Book English. Enjoy! And please remember us all
      when you say it!

      A blessed 2008 to all and thanks be to God for all the gifts of 2007!

      We praise Thee, O God:
      we acknowledge Thee to be the Lord.
      All the earth doth worship Thee:
      the Father everlasting.

      To Thee all Angels cry aloud:
      the heavens and all the powers therein.
      To Thee Cherubin and Seraphin:
      continually do cry,
      Holy, Holy, Holy:
      Lord God of Sabaoth;
      Heaven and earth are full
      of the Majesty: of Thy glory.

      The glorious company of the Apostles: praise Thee.
      The goodly fellowship of the Prophets: praise Thee.
      The noble army of Martyrs: praise Thee.

      The holy Church throughout all the
      world: doth acknowledge Thee;
      The Father: of an infinite majesty;
      Thine honourable, true: and only Son;
      Also the Holy Ghost: the Comforter.

      Thou art the King of glory: O Christ.
      Thou art the everlasting Son: of the Father.

      When thou tookest upon Thee to deliver man
      Thou didst not abhor the Virgin's womb.

      When Thou hadst overcome the sharpness of death:
      Thou didst open the kingdom of heaven to all believers.

      Thou sittest at the right hand of God:
      in the glory of the Father.

      We believe that Thou shalt come: to be our Judge.

      We therefore pray Thee, help Thy servants:
      whom Thou hast redeemed with Thy precious blood.

      Make them to be numbered with Thy Saints:
      in glory everlasting.

      O Lord, save Thy people:
      and bless Thine heritage.
      Govern them: