Holy Rule for Dec. 22

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following and for all who will mourn them:

      Sr. Mary Stella, sent home because the hospital can do nothing more for her.

      Jane's Dad, tired but hanging on to say goddbye to everybody.

      Tom, 9, who died in a fire trying to save his dog, and for his Dad, who tired to save Tom but couldn't, and for all their family.

      Prayers for the physical, mental and spiritual health of thhe following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Dan and Nichola, for whom we have prayed, have begun making slow progress and having some of their many injuries surgically treated, so continued prayers, please, and for their 3 sons.

      Chapter 65: On the Prior of the Monastery

      It happens all too often that the constituting of a Prior
      gives rise to grave scandals in monasteries.
      For there are some who become inflated with the evil spirit of pride
      and consider themselves second Abbots.
      By usurping power
      they foster scandals and cause dissensions in the community.
      Especially does this happen
      in those places where the Prior is constituted
      by the same Bishop or the same Abbots
      who constitute the Abbot himself.
      What an absurd procedure this is
      can easily be seen;
      for it gives the Prior an occasion for becoming proud
      from the very time of his constitution,
      by putting the thought into his mind
      that he is freed from the authority of his Abbot:
      "For," he will say to himself, "you were constituted
      by the same persons who constitute the Abbot."
      From this source are stirred up envy, quarrels, detraction,
      rivalry, dissensions and disorders.
      For while the Abbot and the Prior are at variance,
      their souls cannot but be endangered by this dissension;
      and those who are under them,
      currying favor with one side or the other,
      go to ruin.
      The guilt for this dangerous state of affairs
      rests on the heads of those
      whose action brought about such disorder.

      REFLECTION

      When I read the line about those governed "currying favor with one
      side or the other," I thought immediately of the children of divorce.
      Children, however, are quite perceptive, and it is not just divorce,
      but any noticeable drift between parents that they will manipulate.
      That is why, in family and monastery, unity in authority is very
      important.

      St. Benedict tries to guarantee this by letting the Abbot choose his
      own Prior, parents can do it by a struggle to overcome their own
      personal differences for the good of the children. This is not to say
      that the parents can necessarily get over their problems, but that
      they must at least try to be consistent with the children, for the
      children's sakes. As St. Benedict points out, this choosing of sides
      in child or monastic, can lead to ruin.

      Why does it lead to ruin? Because manipulation to some degree puts us
      in charge of ourselves, something no child and very, very few
      monastics are strong enough to be. As St. Bernard of Clairvaux
      said: "The one who has himself for a master has a fool for a
      disciple." One reason we took obedience upon ourselves was our
      knowledge of our own weakness. This knowledge can fade and dim with
      time, we can be convinced we know better. Sometimes, perhaps, we do,
      but in most cases, obedience is a real protection from harm.
      Benedictines not only are not in charge of themselves, but, as the
      Holy Rule defines cenobitic community life, they "desire" this lack
      of control. They "desire to live under a Rule and an Abbot."

      One cannot expect children to be wise enough to see how good and
      necessary obedience is at every turn, but it shouldn't be much of a
      stretch for us adults!

      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2016

        +PAX

        Ardent prayers for Br. Meinrad, he is at home, but very ill.

        Belated birthday prayers for Lucia D., graces galore and many more. Her birthday was Dec. 21.

        Prayers for Corey’s daughter, Jami, she has low blood counts, blood pressure and O2 levels, with a rash all over, diagnosis uncertain. Prayers that they can find and treat her ailment and that she recovers quickly. Prayers for Corey and her family, too.

        Prayers for a two year old boy who is profoundly deaf and scheduled to have a cochlear implant. May the procedure be safe and successful. Many healing prayers.

        Prayer for Laura  U. that she will remove the bitterness in her heart  and that she will be filled with the Holy Spirit to fill her heart and treat her co workers with respect and love.

        Chapter 65: On the Prior of the Monastery

        It happens all too often that the constituting of a Prior
        gives rise to grave scandals in monasteries.
        For there are some who become inflated with the evil spirit of pride
        and consider themselves second Abbots.
        By usurping power
        they foster scandals and cause dissensions in the community.
        Especially does this happen
        in those places where the Prior is constituted
        by the same Bishop or the same Abbots
        who constitute the Abbot himself.
        What an absurd procedure this is
        can easily be seen;
        for it gives the Prior an occasion for becoming proud
        from the very time of his constitution,
        by putting the thought into his mind
        that he is freed from the authority of his Abbot:
        "For," he will say to himself, "you were constituted
        by the same persons who constitute the Abbot."
        From this source are stirred up envy, quarrels, detraction,
[...]

        time, we can be convinced we know better. Our obedience is a real protection