Holy Rule for Dec. 10

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2007

      Prayers, please, for Ann, who will be on retreat at her monastery of Oblation this week, also for John, her cousin, nearing death and badly needing faith: Divine Mercy chaplets aplenty from those so inclined. Prayers continued, too, for Evelyn, 97, near death and needing a boost of faith.

      Oddly enough, prayers for me, too. My beloved cat, Maggie, has been dead five years this month and I swore never again, but God knew I needed a cat, even though I didn't. It would take too long to tell you all the wonderful details of how He got ME to see that, but He did and on the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, I took my beautiful Fra Giorgio home from the shelter where I adopted him. He has been injured and lost a leg, but gets around bravely and well and is a joy to me greater than I can describe. Prayers that we both take care of each other, and prayers for all who worked to save his life when even I didn't know God was saving him to be my cat. Lord, help us all as You know and will. Help us to believe You take care of us. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 10, August 10, December 10

      Chapter 57: On the Artisans of the Monastery

      If there are artisans in the monastery,
      let them practice their crafts with all humility,
      provided the Abbot has given permission.
      But if any one of them becomes conceited
      over his skill in his craft,
      because he seems to be conferring a benefit on the monastery,
      let him be taken from his craft
      and no longer exercise it unless,
      after he has humbled himself,
      the Abbot again gives him permission.

      If any of the work of the craftsmen is to be sold,
      those responsible for the sale
      must not dare to practice any fraud.
      Let them always remember Ananias and Saphira,
      who incurred bodily death (Acts 5:1-11),
      lest they and all who perpetrate fraud
      in monastery affairs
      suffer spiritual death.
      And in the prices let not the sin of avarice creep in,
      but let the goods always be sold a little cheaper
      than they can be sold by people in the world,
      "that in all things God may be glorified" (1 Peter 4:11).

      REFLECTION

      My all-time favorite quote from G. K. Chesterton is: "The artistic
      temperament is a disease which afflicts amateurs." Amen!!! Ideally,
      Christian life done right would eliminate the phenomenon of prima
      donnas or mad queens (of either gender!) Monastic life should, too.

      The true artist is marked by humility, not because of low self-
      esteem, but because of a healthy dose of reality, a firm conviction
      that one's gift has been given by God and given with an eye to the
      service of all. Christian art, in any form, has no meaning at all
      outside of the glory of God and the betterment of the community.

      For an artisan to become proud about this would be as ludicrous as
      for a priest to be proud of his ability to consecrate, or a lay person
      proud of their ability to baptize. Sorry, folks! Doesn't come from us.
      Comes from God and we have to always remember our own littleness in
      receiving such wonders.

      A wrong attitude towards one's gift can quickly turn what God
      intended to be a boon to the Christian community into a very large
      and unmanageable human cross. Unfortunately, this turn of events is
      neither rare nor well done, you should pardon the play on words. Art
      in communities must be treasured and held dear, because
      it is a gift from a loving God. It is God and His gift that must be
      sacrosanct, not some temperamental artist who is just passing that
      gift on to others...

      The point here is that art must always and everywhere matter less
      than the people performing or enjoying it. The brothers and sisters
      come first, and they do so from a theological imperative of charity,
      much, much more intense than any concept of human reason alone or
      canon of aesthetics. In a very real sense, the artist must matter
      least of all, must disappear behind the gift, not insist on being
      thrust into a foreground of power trips and control.

      When a person does liturgy correctly, they vanish behind the veil of
      vesture and rubric. They become icon bearers and what is seen is no
      longer Traci or Jason, but acolyte and priest. It ought to be so with
      artists, but it ought to be so with any gift or skill God has
      graciously given us. We truly are NOT the source of the profound
      gifts we receive and share. God is. God alone is.

      "He must increase, I must decrease..." As soon as we forget that, our
      gift becomes a weight dragging us downwards to potentially ultimate
      loss, rather than helping us to ascend the heights. Good superiors
      can see this and stop it, but not all superiors are good! Let us pray
      that our gifts will always be focused by the wise and loving hand of
      some realist, to whom God has given the gift of loving truthfulness!