Holy Rule for Dec. 1

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, for their loved ones and for all who mourn them:

      A person who apparently jumped under a train in the UK, no name or details,

      Michael, a college senior who took his own life.

      Nathaniel, killed in a car wreck.

      Craig, heart attack while waiting to a board a plane with his wife, and for Marcia, his wife.

      Deo gratias: apparently Susan's surgery went well, Ruth had a wonderful check up with great news, and our other Susan's Mom is home, clots under control.

      Prayers for Dianne, for the perfect will of God in a troubled relationship

      Prayers for Mary, admitted to a nursing home, and for her 2 daughters, a difficult time for all

      Jane and her job search.

      Prayers for our other Jane and her Dad and family. His doctors say there is nothing more they can do and this may be a very difficult Christmas for all concerned.

      Chapter 50: On Sisters Who are Working Far From the Oratory or Are on
      a Journey

      Those sisters who are working at a great distance
      and cannot get to the oratory at the proper time --
      the Abbess judging that such is the case --
      shall perform the Work of God
      in the place where they are working,
      bending their knees in reverence before God.

      Likewise those who have been sent on a journey
      shall not let the appointed Hours pass by,
      but shall say the Office by themselves as well as they can
      and not neglect to render the task of their service.

      REFLECTION

      Look, if you think your marriage vows take a powder while you're
      traveling on business, chances are a lot of people pity your spouse.
      There are jobs that we do not carry with us. We are not surgeons,
      welders or toll booth ticket-takers at home- at least hopefully! But
      marriage is not a job, it's a vocation and so is monastic life.
      Vocations stay with one everywhere, at all times and places. One is
      ALWAYS a spouse, always a parent, always a monastic.

      Hey, it is World AIDS Day, and there are a lot of similarities
      between monasticism done right and HIV. I should know- I've been HIV+
      nearly 18 years and a monk for nearly 16. For rather crass starters,
      both get in your blood and if they do, there is no cure! Done right,
      both are always with you. Since my diagnosis I have never awakened
      groggy enough to forget I was positive. Not once. Even in my dreams,
      I am always HIV+, never once have I dreamed of my current self
      otherwise. I wish I could say exactly the same of monasticism, but
      even there, my dreams that are not flashbacks are most usually about
      Jerome, not my secular name Phil!

      Writ large across my heart are the letters "HIV" and I am still
      working on making "OSB" stand out in equally high relief there! At
      some point, if we are lucky, we realize that our vocation really is
      who we've become. My high school buddy, Sr. Lany Jo, referred to me
      as Phil on the phone a while back. As I often do, I jokingly reminded
      her that Phil was "dead"- a distressing half-truth at best, since
      Phil can be terribly stubborn about refusing to expire totally... Quickly,
      I added, "Of course, if you want Phil, I could resurrect him with
      very little trouble. Just give me a really big bottle of liquor and a
      piano bar full of good-looking customers. No problem!" Lany was very
      quick to assure me that she preferred the monk she Southernly refers
      to as Jerry Lee, and to reassure me that, while she loved Phil, she
      loves Jerry Lee much more!

      Virus and vows! Honey, there were times I wished I had neither, but I always
      have both! Most of the time, I am glad of that, in very mysterious
      ways, mysteriously grateful for both. In my case, at least, neither
      would have been my totally free first choice, but they are undeniably
      where God has placed me and both have done me a world of good, most
      often through their hassles, but also through their ordinary days!
      Cured of either tomorrow, I would never be the same exactly. Nothing
      could completely obliterate the years that either have given me,
      nothing could completely uproot their lessons in my heart.

      We live in a secular society that urges us to follow our dreams.
      Well, m'dears, I have swooned at the poetry in that one for more
      decades than I care to admit, but it ain't always true. Why on earth
      should we ascribe an infallibility to our own dreams that we are
      unwilling under any but the most exceptionally extreme circumstances
      to apply to anyone else? Whoops! There's a real passing chance our
      dreams may be wrong, may have to be given up. I am living proof to
      myself that fighting that surrender is hard as hell and just as
      useless. Yes, choice often enters into whom we become, but not
      always, and sometimes the things that become us are the ones we quite
      pointedly have NOT chosen.

      Few, if any, choose to be gay or straight, some do not choose to be
      parents, some choose one spouse only to find that person changes
      horrifically later on and nobody in their right mind chooses to
      become HIV+. Many, many things are in some ways forced upon us, but
      those things can become fully graced things of wonder, if only we let
      God work. If only we would trust Him...

      Love and prayers,

      Jerome Leo, OSB

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2016

        +PAX

        On World AIDS Day, prayers for all those afflicted with HIV, the living and the dead, and for those who love them and for all who are trying to help.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of the 71 killed in a Colombian plane crash, and for the 6 who survived and the families of all. Prayers for the living who may have been injured and for all who mourn the dead. The crash took the lives of most of a Brazilian soccer team.

        Prayers for Br. Meinrad, in hospital with undiagnosed ailment, fever, vomiting. Prayers they can find what is wrong and treat it.

        Prayers for the happy death of Fr. Giles’ mother, Joyce, very weak after a cardiac incident. She has been praying to meet the Lord. Prayers for Fr. Giles and all her family, too.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Eileen, and for Deacon Vincent, her husband, and all her family and all who mourn her.

        Continued prayers for the recovery of B., a Religious hospitalized with pneumonia and a severe infection.

        Deo gratias, Ann’s retina seems not to be detached, just a bleeding problem. Continued prayers, please, that it improves and heals.

        Belated birthday prayers for Claudia, George and Fr. Jacob, whose birthdays were Nov. 30. Many graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Nancy, and for her mother, Lucille, her son, Louis, and all her family and all who mourn her.

[...]

        for 27 years and a monk for 24. I was diagnosed before I became a monk.

        For rather crass starters, both get in your blood and if they do, there is no cure!

        Done right, both are always with you. Since my diagnosis, even in my dreams,
        I am always HIV+, never once have I dreamed of my current self
        otherwise. I wish I could say exactly the same of monasticism, but
        even there, my dreams that are not flashbacks are most usually about
        Jerome, not my secular former self!

        Writ large across my heart are the letters "HIV" and I am still
        working on making "OSB" stand out in equally high relief there! At
        some point, if we are lucky, we realize that our vocation really is
        who we've become.

        We live in a secular society that urges us to follow our bliss.
        Well, m'dears, I have swooned at the poetry in that one for more
        decades than I care to admit, but it ain't always true. Why on earth
        should we ascribe an infallibility to our own dreams that we are
        unwilling under any but the most exceptionally extreme circumstances
        to apply to anyone else?

        There's a real passing chance that some of our
        dreams may be wrong, may have to be given up.
        Fighting that surrender is terribly hard and just as
        useless. Yes, choice often enters into who we become, but not
        always, and sometimes the things that become us are the ones we quite
        pointedly have NOT chosen.

        Many of us do not choose what life hands us. Some do not choose to be
        parents, some choose one spouse only to find that person changes
        horrifically later on and nobody in their right mind chooses to
        become HIV+. Many, many things are in some ways forced upon us, but
        those things can become fully graced things of wonder, if only we let
        God work. If only we would trust Him... His Divine Mercy will triumph
        over all, but we must trust Him. He knows, after all, what He is doing!
        We often can only see His work in hindsight, looking back.

        Love and prayers,

        Jerome Leo, OSB

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30

          +PAX

          Prayers for the safety and success of Pope Francis’ trip to Myanmar, many graces lowing for all, please God!

          On World AIDS Day, prayers for all those afflicted with HIV, the living and the dead, and for those who love them and for all who are trying to help.

          Prayers for Stacie, having heart surgery.

          Prayers for Bill, having triple bypass heart surgery.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Nancy, and for her mother, Lucille, her son, Louis, and all her family and all who mourn her. Special prayers that Louis returns to the Sacraments.

[...]

          for 28 years and a monk for 25. I was diagnosed before I became a monk.

          For rather crass starters, both get in your blood and if they do, there is no cure!

          Done right, both are always with you. Since my diagnosis, even in my dreams,
          I am always HIV+, never once have I dreamed of my current self
          otherwise. I wish I could say exactly the same of monasticism, but
          even there, my dreams that are not flashbacks are most usually about
          Jerome, not my secular former self!

          Writ large across my heart are the letters "HIV" and I am still
          working on making "OSB" stand out in equally high relief there! At
          some point, if we are lucky, we realize that our vocation really is
          who we've become.

          We live in a secular society that urges us to follow our bliss.
          Well, m'dears, I have swooned at the poetry in that one for more
          times than I care to admit, but it ain't always true. Why on earth