Holy Rule for Dec. 1

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2007

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, for their loved ones and for all who mourn them:

      A person who apparently jumped under a train in the UK, no name or details,

      Michael, a college senior who took his own life.

      Nathaniel, killed in a car wreck.

      Craig, heart attack while waiting to a board a plane with his wife, and for Marcia, his wife.

      Deo gratias: apparently Susan's surgery went well, Ruth had a wonderful check up with great news, and our other Susan's Mom is home, clots under control.

      Prayers for Dianne, for the perfect will of God in a troubled relationship

      Prayers for Mary, admitted to a nursing home, and for her 2 daughters, a difficult time for all

      Jane and her job search.

      Prayers for our other Jane and her Dad and family. His doctors say there is nothing more they can do and this may be a very difficult Christmas for all concerned.

      Chapter 50: On Sisters Who are Working Far From the Oratory or Are on
      a Journey

      Those sisters who are working at a great distance
      and cannot get to the oratory at the proper time --
      the Abbess judging that such is the case --
      shall perform the Work of God
      in the place where they are working,
      bending their knees in reverence before God.

      Likewise those who have been sent on a journey
      shall not let the appointed Hours pass by,
      but shall say the Office by themselves as well as they can
      and not neglect to render the task of their service.

      REFLECTION

      Look, if you think your marriage vows take a powder while you're
      traveling on business, chances are a lot of people pity your spouse.
      There are jobs that we do not carry with us. We are not surgeons,
      welders or toll booth ticket-takers at home- at least hopefully! But
      marriage is not a job, it's a vocation and so is monastic life.
      Vocations stay with one everywhere, at all times and places. One is
      ALWAYS a spouse, always a parent, always a monastic.

      Hey, it is World AIDS Day, and there are a lot of similarities
      between monasticism done right and HIV. I should know- I've been HIV+
      nearly 18 years and a monk for nearly 16. For rather crass starters,
      both get in your blood and if they do, there is no cure! Done right,
      both are always with you. Since my diagnosis I have never awakened
      groggy enough to forget I was positive. Not once. Even in my dreams,
      I am always HIV+, never once have I dreamed of my current self
      otherwise. I wish I could say exactly the same of monasticism, but
      even there, my dreams that are not flashbacks are most usually about
      Jerome, not my secular name Phil!

      Writ large across my heart are the letters "HIV" and I am still
      working on making "OSB" stand out in equally high relief there! At
      some point, if we are lucky, we realize that our vocation really is
      who we've become. My high school buddy, Sr. Lany Jo, referred to me
      as Phil on the phone a while back. As I often do, I jokingly reminded
      her that Phil was "dead"- a distressing half-truth at best, since
      Phil can be terribly stubborn about refusing to expire totally... Quickly,
      I added, "Of course, if you want Phil, I could resurrect him with
      very little trouble. Just give me a really big bottle of liquor and a
      piano bar full of good-looking customers. No problem!" Lany was very
      quick to assure me that she preferred the monk she Southernly refers
      to as Jerry Lee, and to reassure me that, while she loved Phil, she
      loves Jerry Lee much more!

      Virus and vows! Honey, there were times I wished I had neither, but I always
      have both! Most of the time, I am glad of that, in very mysterious
      ways, mysteriously grateful for both. In my case, at least, neither
      would have been my totally free first choice, but they are undeniably
      where God has placed me and both have done me a world of good, most
      often through their hassles, but also through their ordinary days!
      Cured of either tomorrow, I would never be the same exactly. Nothing
      could completely obliterate the years that either have given me,
      nothing could completely uproot their lessons in my heart.

      We live in a secular society that urges us to follow our dreams.
      Well, m'dears, I have swooned at the poetry in that one for more
      decades than I care to admit, but it ain't always true. Why on earth
      should we ascribe an infallibility to our own dreams that we are
      unwilling under any but the most exceptionally extreme circumstances
      to apply to anyone else? Whoops! There's a real passing chance our
      dreams may be wrong, may have to be given up. I am living proof to
      myself that fighting that surrender is hard as hell and just as
      useless. Yes, choice often enters into whom we become, but not
      always, and sometimes the things that become us are the ones we quite
      pointedly have NOT chosen.

      Few, if any, choose to be gay or straight, some do not choose to be
      parents, some choose one spouse only to find that person changes
      horrifically later on and nobody in their right mind chooses to
      become HIV+. Many, many things are in some ways forced upon us, but
      those things can become fully graced things of wonder, if only we let
      God work. If only we would trust Him...

      Love and prayers,

      Jerome Leo, OSB