Holy Rule for Nov. 16

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please for the spiritual mental and physical health of the following, for all their oved ones and those who treat or care for them:

      Sr. Jean Ihli, OSB, of St. Gertrude Monastery, celebrating her final profession.

      Dom Geoff's continued healing,

      health of Jeanette and Laura,

      Courtney, in his employment search.

      Peggy, medicall screenings and tests.

      Deo gratias for Elizabeth, for whom we prayed: her cancer is in remission.

      Karl-Albert, surgeons mistaken removed the healthy part, not the part they were supposed to, and a second surgery to correct the mistake cannot immediately be done. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 17, July 17, November 16
      Chapter 38: On the Weekly Reader

      The meals of the sisters should not be without reading.
      Nor should the reader be
      anyone who happens to take up the book;
      but there should be a reader for the whole week,
      entering that office on Sunday.
      Let this incoming reader,
      after Mass and Communion,
      ask all to pray for her
      that God may keep her from the spirit of pride
      And let her intone the following verse,
      which shall be said three times by all in the oratory:
      "O Lord, open my lips,
      and my mouth shall declare Your praise."
      Then, having received a blessing,
      let her enter on the reading.

      And let absolute silence be kept at table,
      so that no whispering may be heard
      nor any voice except the reader's.
      As to the things they need while they eat and drink,
      let the sisters pass them to one another
      so that no one need ask for anything.
      If anything is needed, however,
      let it be asked for by means of some audible sign
      rather than by speech.
      Nor shall anyone at table presume to ask questions
      about the reading or anything else,
      lest that give occasion for talking;
      except that the Superior may perhaps wish
      to say something briefly for the purpose of edification.

      The sister who is reader for the week
      shall take a little ablution before she begins to read,
      on account of the Holy Communion
      and lest perhaps the fast be hard for her to bear.
      She shall take her meal afterwards
      with the kitchen and table servers of the week.

      The sisters are not to read or chant in order,
      but only those who edify their hearers.

      REFLECTION

      It is tempting when reading any rule or law to view it being observed
      with a Nazi goose-step precision. Don't go there! That's not how the
      Holy Rule gets fleshed out in healthy communities. (And the key word
      here is HEALTHY!) Ours is a Rule for families, and families need love
      and affectionate playfulness to build and strengthen their bonds of
      unity and delight in each other.

      So, OK, we do keep silence in the refectory and we do have reading
      and we can't go absolutely off the wall while there, but we do quite
      often have some fun. A sidelong glance with eyes rolled upward can
      say volumes, a smile or chuckle, sometimes universal and joyous
      laughter do the same.

      One could go too far with such things, but in moderation they are
      fine. They unite with non-verbal ties, they connect with wordless
      junctures and these are very powerful. The huge amount of verbiage in
      our modern world has taught us to discount words on many occasions,
      but the genuinely affectionate body language of shared silence does
      not fall under that sentence. Hence, these are very strong messages
      of love we send to one another.

      Sometimes the matter being read is sufficiently boring to make one
      chew with incredible speed. (This is as Catch 22, however. The faster
      one eats, the more days it will take to finish the pearl of great
      price at hand....) When we were recently reading a papal document on
      consecrated life rich with Vaticanese, a bureaucratic jargon that
      could induce sleep faster than any narcotic known to science, there
      were ample opportunities to enjoy a bit of comic relief.

      I am typically bored to tears by such literature read aloud. I can do
      it alone, but read it to me? Well, you know the warmth of the
      language employed in such officialese! Yeccch!

      Suffice it to say that I was longing for anything to break the mood.
      Then- O wondrous to say!- came a longish portion on "the difficulties
      of consecrated life" the religious had to bear. Sensing my moment had
      come, I patted Brother Bernard, who sat next to me, on the forearm
      and smiled patronizingly. (It is our particular vocation to tease and
      torture each other!)

      I am probably beyond redemption in some areas! LOL!

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for the eternal rest of the two found dead after the New Zealand earthquakes, and for their families and all who mourn them. It is a miracle that casualties were so low. Prayers for the unknown number of injured, for their families and their recovery. Prayers for all who lost homes or property. Prayers for all trying to help. One report said there have been over 1,000 aftershocks.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Bob, on the 6th anniversary of his death, and for Tom, his son, and all his family and all who mourn him.

        Please say a prayer of thanks and continued prayers for me: it has been two years since I have had a cigarette, and I smoked for nearly 53 years. I miss them still, but God has been merciful, it was not as tough as I expected it to be. But pray, because I still want to have a cigarette.

[...]

        It is a safe bet that Oblates who don't live alone rarely eat in silence, so
        it would be easy to ask what on earth this chapter has for them, for all of us,
        in fact. Easy! Another reminder to bless every action and service, no matter how
        small is here. So is the kindhearted father Benedict: let the reader have a
        little something before reading, so the hunger doesn't overwhelm. (It is
        funny how quickly we become accustomed to eating at EXACTLY this or that time...
        Twenty minutes later can start some stomach rumblings!) A third and perhaps
        less obvious point is that, when it comes to the spiritual life and its
        nourishment, St. Benedict does not like to waste time. He makes judicious use of
        the time we feed our bodies to feed our hearts, minds and souls!

        Let's start with that wasted time idea.. Look at some of the other areas we
        waste time actively, or passively, because we have no choice. Grocery store
        lines come to mind, so do waiting for elevators or trains or buses, to say
        nothing of riding on same. An excellent opportunity for silent prayer! One could also
        carry a small book all the time, popping it out when the occasions arise. I used
        to study college texts in line at the store. I was working full-time and I
        needed every minute. But we all need every minute to grow spiritually, because
        we don't know how many of those minutes we have!

        Driving, if one has a tape or cd deck in the car, can be a time to "make up"
        for some of that lectio divina we never seem to have enough hours in a day to
        finish. I speak as one formerly hopelessly addicted to rock 'n roll oldies- I
        was a radio DJ, after all- there are a lot of tapes I could have played that
        would have done far more for me than the Beach Boys or the Dave Clark 5!
        (Though I will always hold both dear!) No radio or tape in your car? Make sure

        you have a Rosary.. There's plenty of time for one and you will find that traffic

        jams, while still aggravating, can be less so when something worthwhile to do

        is close at hand.

        Oblates who live alone surely can play a tape of reading while they eat, but
        I strongly feel that even families, if the children are old enough to
        understand, can glean something here. What about a brief, very brief reading at
        the beginning of each meal, right after grace? Could be most anything, but the
        Saint of the Day, a free e list, has perfect length Saint bios with a quote and
        short point or two to ponder. Subscribe at:

        http://www.americancatholic.org

        You and your family will learn about the
        Saints, about the faith. This can be done in less than 3 minutes or so, then
        (hopefully!) discussion and questions follow.

        You might, also, try a different kind of "silence" at meals. What about a
        "fast" from all talk that doesn't praise or compliment, an occasional meal when
        you agree to do nothing but tell each other the good things you appreciate about
        each member? Not shabby! Or maybe a meal when we never mention ourselves,
        only others at table? There are all kinds of tricks to turn conversation into
        something saving rather than harming, and total silence is only one approach!

        And don't forget that little gem about blessing every action. If grace before
        meals (maybe even after, too!) is not already a custom, make it so. This is
        not turning your family into monastics, it is a basic Christian practice that we
        should never have lost.