Holy Rule for Nov. 13

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 12, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers for the spiritual, physical and mental health of the following, for their loved ones and all who treat or care for them:

      Freddie, inoperable brain tumor and having radiaton, had a seiure this week and has only slowly regained some of his walking and motor skills, also for his brave wife, Linda.

      Angela and Marylyn both having painful post op problems.

      Paul and his family and extended family who are in the midst of explosive relationship problems.

      Noella, bone scan to rule out return of cancer.

      Stephen, applying for a research position. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best, All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      An hour before the meal
      let the weekly servers each receive a drink and some bread
      over and above the appointed allowance,
      in order that at the meal time they may serve their brethren
      without murmuring and without excessive fatigue.
      On solemn days, however, let them wait until after Mass.

      Immediately after the Morning Office on Sunday,
      the incoming and outgoing servers
      shall prostrate themselves before all the brethren in the oratory
      and ask their prayers.
      Let the server who is ending his week say this verse:
      "Blessed are You, O Lord God,
      who have helped me and consoled me."
      When this has been said three times
      and the outgoing server has received his blessing,
      then let the incoming server follow and say,
      "Incline unto my aid, O God;
      O Lord, make haste to help me."
      Let this also be repeated three times by all,
      and having received his blessing
      let him enter his service.

      REFLECTION

      Blessing readers and servers may strike the modern reader as a bit
      silly: a CEREMONY of blessing to do a no-brainer like that for a
      week? Ah, well there's the rub. Ancient monastics (and many Eastern
      Orthodox monastics even in our own day,) do NOTHING without a
      blessing. This results in all kinds of blessings for things we would
      take for granted. When the Carmelite Martyrs of Compiegne went as a
      group to the guillotine, at least one of the nuns approached the
      Prioress and asked; "Permission to die, Mother?" The Prioress blessed
      her to die.

      Getting a blessing, asking God's help for even seemingly trivial
      matters is a powerful reminder of our own weakness. It is a statement
      that we can do nothing without Him, that we truly are nothing that He
      has not given. There is a great humility in asking anyone for help.
      In this instance, however, humility is richest truth: we need God's
      help for everything. We do things only because He enables us, whether
      we asked Him for help or not. Our very lives would not exist without
      Him.

      We still bless readers and servers. Short ceremony, same every week.
      We all pray together for whomever is serving us. Since we are small
      (only 8,) the Superior is often reader or server. When that happens,
      he kneels like anyone else and the senior monk blesses him. It's a
      little family ritual.

      But what is its message for families in the world? For single Oblates
      living alone? The message is that there are no tasks to insignificant
      to bless with prayer. St. Benedict has earlier encouraged us to begin
      every good work with prayer, but maybe we have forgotten. Because the
      monastic is MINDFUL, careful, attuned to life, nothing is
      unimportant, nothing should be done "on automatic pilot." There is
      that healthy level of mistrust of self that will ask for Divine
      assistance in any endeavor. "Bless, Lord, yet another
      diaper." "Bless, Lord, emptying the trash." "Bless, Lord, management
      meeting!!"

      Making dinner or washing the dishes? Take a quiet moment in the midst
      of either to say "Help!" and "Thanks!" Two simple, one word prayers.
      No matter how chaotic your household, everyone will find time for at
      least that. God knows the details, knows your heart and can readily
      fill in the blanks! We may think God needs essay-length prayers, but
      He doesn't. He may enjoy hearing from us, but trust me, we NEVER tell
      Him anything that's news to Him.

      Of course, there is another side to simple things like serving table,
      picking up pins and the like. No, one could not have done anything
      without God's help, but ah, if one does them out of love and care!
      Bingo! Double coupons, so to speak! If that pin got carefully picked
      up because of a barefoot and running child, or a beloved pet who is
      prone to "tasting" whatever she can find on the floor, simplicity
      becomes a very much greater matter, indeed. Now it is very close to
      the heart of God, and that is a wonderful place to be.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 12, 2016

        +PAX

        In the old calendar, today was celebrated as the Feast of All Benedictine Saints. I don’t think many- if any- houses still keep it, but it is nice to pray to all our brothers and sisters and forebears in the Order today. May they keep us all faithful and may we persevere to the end.

        Prayers for Br. Isidore, on his birthday, graces galore and many more.  Ad multos annos!

        Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Sarah, mother of Br. Finbar of Pluscarden, near the anniversary of her death, and for Br. Finbar and all her family and all who mourn her.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Dot, near the anniversary of her death. Prayers, too for all her family, especially Joyce and Linda.

        Prayers for Barry, Bill and Thom, may they all find Christ and live for Him.

        Prayers for Beverly’s stepson and his wife and  for the 7 year old boy they are adopting. They have returned to the practice of the Faith and are having the boy baptized today. Prayers that all three remain faithful and are united in their Catholic faith. Prayers for a holy and happy family life for them all.

        Prayers for Hannah, declining health, having seizures and refusing food and drink.

        Prayers for Tom, who shattered his knee and tibia and had surgery, for a speedy and full recovery.

        Prayers for Phyllis, her daughter disowned her because of the way she voted in the US election. Prayers for the healing of their relationship and for the many with heated feelings in the US. May peace prevail.

        Prayers for John who is having eye surgery and a hernia surgery.  Prayers that God guides the surgeons hands and all is well and John feels God’s presence and is not scared.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Claude, who we prayed for some time ago, and for his family and all who mourn him.

        Deo gratias and prayers of gratitude to God that Patrick was protected. He was in a car accident last night, but aside from being sore, he was not injured and neither was the other driver although vehicle damage was significant. Such a blessing!

[...]

        Orthodox monastics even in our own day,) did NOTHING without a
[...]

        (only 7,) the Superior is often reader or server. When that happens,
        he kneels like anyone else and the senior monk blesses him. It's a
        little family ritual.

        But what is its message for families in the world? For single Oblates
        living alone? The message is that there are no tasks too insignificant
        to bless with prayer. St. Benedict has earlier encouraged us to begin
        every good work with prayer, but maybe we have forgotten. Because the
        monastic is MINDFUL, careful, attuned to life, nothing is
        unimportant, nothing should be done "on automatic pilot." There is
        that healthy level of mistrust of self that will ask for Divine
        assistance in any endeavor. "Bless, Lord, yet another
        diaper." "Bless, Lord, emptying the trash." "Bless, Lord, management
        meeting!!" "Bless, Lord, picking up pins."

        Making dinner or washing the dishes? Take a quiet moment in the midst
        of either to say "Help!" and "Thanks!" Two simple, one word prayers.
        No matter how chaotic your household, everyone will find time for at
        least that. God knows the details, knows your heart and can readily
        fill in the blanks! We may think God needs essay-length prayers, but
        He doesn't. He may enjoy hearing from details from us, as He told St.
        Faustina that , but He also hears our one word or one line prayers.