Holy Rule for Nov. 11

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 10 2:51 PM
      +PAX

      In the US, today is Veterans' Day, probably many other countries also
      remember the Armistice which ended World War I on this date. Let us remember in
      our prayers all those who have died in wars, and all those who served and
      survived, especially those whose lives were forever shattered, as well as the
      hearts of loved ones broken by their losses.

      Prayers for Fr. Martin and all our Martins, on their feastday.

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Mrs. Kars, for her husband, family and all who mourn her.

      Prayers for the spiritual, physical and mental health of the following, for their families and all who care for them:

      Braxton, 13, osteonecrosis in his knee, severe movement limitations and possible joint replacement, and for his worried parents.

      Viola, for whom we prayed, has breast cancer that has moved to her throat, tracheotomy performed so she can breath and radiation to follow.

      Doug, starting radiation treatment for prostate cancer, that all go well.

      Dawn who had a 5th very extensive back surgery and is in a great deal of pain and experiencing spasms that are severe and making it hard for her to rest.

      Paula, Lupus and other medical problems that have arisen because of it. Please pray also for her to have the strength and stamina to take care of Dawn, as she is her caregiver.

      Dom Geoff, severe vertigo, possible stroke and left hand carpel tunnel sugery last week.

      Don, looking for work. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 12, July 12, November 11
      Chapter 34: Whether All Should Receive in Equal Measure What Is
      Necessary

      Let us follow the Scripture,
      "Distribution was made to each
      according as anyone had need" (Acts 4:35).
      By this we do not mean that there should be respecting of persons
      (which God forbid),
      but consideration for infirmities.
      She who needs less should thank God and not be discontented;
      but she who needs more
      should be humbled by the thought of her infirmity
      rather than feeling important
      on account of the kindness shown her.
      Thus all the members will be at peace.

      Above all, let not the evil of murmuring appear
      for any reason whatsoever
      in the least word or sign.
      If anyone is caught at it,
      let her be placed under very severe discipline.

      REFLECTION

      One reason murmuring is so strongly proscribed here is that its
      origin in this case is likely to be from jealousy. Jealousy is a
      terrible thing in any human being, but even more treacherous when the
      people involved have to live and work together in community. Jealousy
      in monastics is a sure sign that one is in trouble. Perfect monastics
      simply don't care about such stuff! (If they did at all, it would only be to
      rejoice for the other!)

      Yet many of us- myself roundly included- can still find jealousy
      rearing its ugly head from time to time. It is part of our fallen
      human nature, it is also part of us that has not grown up yet: an
      inner child that is still screaming "Mom ALWAYS liked you best!"
      Sigh... Jealousy cannot live without ignorance or falsehood, so
      reality checks may be helpful, shaking ourselves awake to what is
      true and real, reminding ourselves what we do NOT know and cannot
      know about another's situation compared to our own.

      Did we but know the gift of God! Ah, but we most surely do NOT know
      it! If we did, we should be far, far more grateful for the different
      ways He deals with people. We should be relieved that we have not the
      gifts of others, since we have not their peculiar circumstances nor
      vocations nor personalities to deal with those gifts. We should also
      be able to more clearly see how richly- and utterly appropriately- we
      ourselves have been blessed. God is no wretched giver, and we are ALL
      swathed in His unfathomable mercy.

      http://www.stamrysmonastery.org

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 10 3:40 PM

        +PAX

        On this Armistice Day, marking the end of World War I, prayers for the many who lost their lives in that war, or those who survived with lives forever changed. Prayers for them all. In the US, we celebrate this as Veterans Day, so prayers for all veterans of all wars, living and dead.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Mary, Michael LoPiccolo’s Mom, on the anniversary of her death, and for Michael and all her family and all who mourn her.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Ryan’s grandmother, and for Ryan and all her family and all who mourn her.

        Prayers for Fr. Martin of Pluscarden Abbey, on his patronal feast, graces galore and many more. Prayers, too, for St. Martin’s Abbey, Lacey, Washington, and its monks and Oblates.

        Prayers for peace and unity in the United States, where reactions to the election are strong.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Nia, 7, and her Dad, Adam, who apparently took his own life after abducting her. Prayers for Nia’s Mom and all who mourn both her and her Dad. Prayers that  he repented in his last moments.

        Prayers for the happy death of Teddy, husband and father who is close to passing, and for his family and all who will mourn him.

        Prayers for Jerome, a seminarian in Africa, and that he find a sponsor.

        Prayers for four Dominican Friars and a lay missionary who are leading a retreat this weekend at the University of Florida, and for all who attend it. May God touch many hearts and may the Holy Spirit draw them all to Himself.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 10 3:08 PM

          +PAX

          On this Armistice Day, marking the end of World War I, prayers for the many who lost their lives in that war, or those who survived with lives forever changed. Prayers for them all. In the US, we celebrate this as Veterans Day, so prayers for all veterans of all wars, living and dead.

          Prayers for Fr. Martin of Pluscarden Abbey, on his patronal feast, graces galore and many more. Prayers, too, for St. Martin’s Abbey, Lacey, Washington, and its monks and Oblates.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Mary, mother of Michael LoPiccolo, on the anniversary of her death, and for Michael and all who mourn her.

          Prayers for William and his wife and their baby girl, who is expected to be born today, for a safe and happy and healthy delivery and baby.

          Ardent prayers that a woman’s check for $3,000 which was lost by the bank will be found. Special prayers to St. Anthony, too.

          An update on Erica,  she had brain surgery to remove the most problematic of the three tumors her doctors have identified. Continued prayers for Erica and her family.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Karen, and for all her family and all who mourn her.

          Prayers for a special intention for Elizabeth.

          Joseph D., having symptoms indicating heart problems and scheduled for an angiogram. Prayers please that the results are clear and that, if there is a problem, it can be easily and effectively treated.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Pepita-Louise, and for her family and all who mourn her and for all those whose lives she touched.

          Prayers for the happy death of John, and for all his family and all who will mourn him, and for all those whose lives he touched.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Mary H., for whom we prayed, and for her family and all who mourn her, especially Daniel.

          Prayers for Cas, he has a history of cancer in his family and has severe pain in his stomach. He is preparing to go to the doctor and is very anxious.