Holy Rule for Nov. 10

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2007
      +PAX

      A blessed feast of St. Leo to all, and special prayers for all of St. Leo Abbey and University on their patronal feast.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physica health of the following, for all their families and all who treat them:

      Baby Liam and his Dad, nasty fall.

      Dianne, completed her chemo.

      Larry, seeking work.

      Leslie, who lost her Mom and uncle earlier this year and for their eternal rest and happy death.

      Carmen who has mental problems and is recovering from a sever case of pneumonia.
      Andrew, a 17 year old who was killed in car accident.

      Bernice who is under going radiation therapy for throat cancer.

      For all the elderly who have no one to visit them in hospital and nursing homes.

      the former Archbishop of Birmingham, in England, Most Rev. Maurice Couve de Murville, has died after his own battle with cancer.

      Brigid, breast cancer spread to bones and brain and for her devoted husband, Brendan and nephew, Kevan.

      For Fr. Vincent, a Vietnam chaplain killed in action, and for Fr. Vakic, wounded in action and now retired and for all military personnel. Lord, help us all as You know and will. od's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      March 11, July 11, November 10
      Chapter 33: Whether Monks Ought to Have Anything of Their Own

      This vice especially
      is to be cut out of the monastery by the roots.
      Let no one presume to give or receive anything
      without the Abbot's leave,
      or to have anything as his own --
      anything whatever,
      whether book or tablets or pen or whatever it may be --
      since they are not permitted to have even their bodies or wills
      at their own disposal;
      but for all their necessities
      let them look to the Father of the monastery.
      And let it be unlawful to have anything
      which the Abbot has not given or allowed.
      Let all things be common to all,
      as it is written (Acts 4:32),
      and let no one say or assume that anything is his own.

      But if anyone is caught indulging in this most wicked vice,
      let him be admonished once and a second time.
      If he fails to amend,
      let him undergo punishment.

      REFLECTION

      Benedictine poverty is easily translatable for the lay monastic,
      married or single, into terms of simplicity and detachment, a holy
      indifference to non-essentials. As such, it offers a powerful
      opportunity for a witness against some of the real falsehoods of
      modern consumerist society. This is not (nor need it be,) a preachy
      attack on today's values, just a quiet refusal to go along with them.
      It involves personal practice and choice, not confrontation.

      Benedictine teaching on material goods is based on needs, not
      desires. We ought to have all that is necessary and if, as sometimes
      happens, that is not possible, we ought not to grumble.
      Benedictine simplicity insists that we live in the moment of now with
      gratitude.

      Does your family have all that you really need today? If so, then
      don't put your heart on hold till you can swing a below-ground
      swimming pool. That's exactly why inordinate desires can be so
      harmful: they DO put our hearts on hold, they take us out of the
      contented present and force us to live in an uncertain future
      of "when" and "if".

      That future is not real. We might never live to see it. We have no
      way of knowing whether or not we will live till lunch today. [And,
      depending on which of the brethren is cooking today, many might
      wish they would not... LOL!] The present is all we have and anything
      that distracts our view from it is often a complete waste of time.
      Living in the now is a great reality check!

      I always hate discussions of simplicity that are so general that they
      leave people thinking: "Well, great, but how do I DO that?" Hence a
      few suggestions, not at all as norms, but just as ideas. With them
      comes a huge warning for Oblates who are spouses and parents. You can
      make choices like this for yourself, in some cases, even for the
      household, but you must never force such things on children or
      spouses. That can be disastrous and produces the very same loss of
      serenity that simplicity is designed to protect us from.

      Clothes. Almost everyone can make do with less, male or female.
      Before I became a monk, I generally had two pairs of slacks- one
      khaki and one navy blue. They looked preppy. They went with
      everything. Yes, after a while, people did notice I was always in one
      or the other, but so what? The shirts were different and I was clean.
      The shirts came from the Salvation Army: years of wear in good
      clothes for less than $5 a pop, less than $2 a pop if one waited till
      sale day.

      Recycle in your own home. Towels go down from the bath, to the
      kitchen, to rags. With all the rags you will soon accumulate living
      this way, you can say goodbye to paper towels, unless there is some
      reason you really need them. Cloth napkins? Wow! They even seem a bit
      upscale and you can stop buying one-use paper. Trust me, ordinarily
      washing them once a week is fine.

      This is not stinge, folks. Insofar as possible, consume stuff that is
      really good for you, avoid stuff that is wasteful or harmful. We
      become immune to the very high levels that our society actually
      encourages waste, almost demands it.

      How many people over fifty recall their first reactions to disposable
      lighters, ballpoint pens and razors when they first came out? It was
      like: "Huh??? You throw them away???" When was the last time you
      bought a refill for a ballpoint pen? Now one hardly sees any pens BUT
      disposable ones. Big, big money and profits were made by the
      companies teaching us to throw away and waste the WHOLE item, not
      just the used part. We got used to that, sadly.

      I went back to non-disposable razors some time ago, but they cost a
      good deal more than the throw away kind, which have filled who knows
      how many garage dumps in 30 years. Somebody gave me a Zippo lighter
      for Christmas two years ago. It is a bit of a hassle to keep it in
      flints and fluid, but it means that I have spared the planet from at
      least a little plastic.

      By the way, you don't do this because it will end over-consumption.
      It won't. The world has not moved to Schick razors and Zippos, nor
      are they likely to do so any time soon. What it does, and this is
      important, is limit your complicity in the nonsense. That, so long as
      one does not become self-righteous, can be an immensely freeing thing.

      Always remember the Zen principle: the only thing that is lacking is
      the sense that nothing is lacking. Modern consumerism thrives on and
      insists that we ALWAYS feel something is lacking. Not so, we can be
      free of that. Why be lied to any more?

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for all the Community and Oblates of St. Leo Abbey, living and dead, on their patronal feast, and prayers for St. Leo University, too.

        Prayers for Hegumen Leo of Holy Trinity Monastery, Butler, PA. And maybe a prayer for me, too. Leo is my second religious name.

        Prayers for all US Marines, living and dead, on the 241st birthday of the US Marine Corps.

        Prayers for Cindy, who suffered a mild stroke last night.

        Prayers for Tom, who is on life support because of an infection following surgery.

        Prayers for Susan, who has a rare form of gall bladder cancer.

[...]

        way of knowing whether or not we will live till lunch today. The present is
        all we have and anything that distracts our view from it is often a complete
        waste of time. Living in the now is a great reality check!

        I always hate discussions of simplicity that are so general that they
        leave people thinking: "Well, great, but how do I DO that?" Hence a
        few suggestions, not at all as norms, but just as ideas.

        Clothes. Almost everyone can make do with less, male or female.
        Before I became a monk, I generally had two pairs of slacks- one
        khaki and one navy blue. They looked preppy. They went with
        everything. Yes, after a while, people did notice I was always in one
        or the other, but so what? The shirts were different and I was clean.
        I got shirts came from the thrift shop: years of wear in good
        clothes for less than $5 a pop, less than $2 a pop if one waited till
        sale day.

        Recycle in your own home. Towels go down from the bath, to the
        kitchen, to rags. With all the rags you will soon accumulate living
        this way, you can say goodbye to paper towels, unless there is some
        reason you really need them. Cloth napkins? Wow! They even seem a bit
        upscale and you can stop buying one-use paper. Trust me, ordinarily
        washing them once a week is fine.

        This is not stinge, folks. Insofar as possible, consume stuff that is
        really good for you, avoid stuff that is wasteful or harmful. We
        become immune to the very high levels that our society actually
        encourages waste, almost demands it.

        By the way, you don't do this because it will end over-consumption.
        It won't.  What it does, and this is important, is limit your complicity in