Holy Rule for Nov. 6

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
      +PAX

      Back from Europe, but with a mean cold. I prayed very much for all of you while there!

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of my Dad (+1960), the Jerome whose name I proudly took in religion. He would have been 95 yesterday. Also for the happy death and eternal rest of Ned, who died this morning, for his wife and grown children and all his family, especially nieces Petrina and Claudia.

      Prayers, please, for Frank, jobless for two years, despite excellent skills in his field.

      Prayers for F., spouse moved out and having an affair, son with mental illness has quit his job and for the return of all this family to the Faith and the Sacraments and, if possible, to unity.

      Prayers for K., sexual identity and parental issues, a lot of inner healing needed.

      For Bruce and Susan, to return to unity in their marriage after a long separation, and for Bruce's financial issues.

      For Jude, a Nigerian seeking permanent US resident visa, interview this week.

      For the grace of final persverance for Robert and his family.

      Prayers for Tania, surgery on her only sighted eye and no guaranetees she won't be blinded. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. od is never absent, praise Him! THanks so much. JL

      March 7, July 7, November 6
      Chapter 30: How Boys Are to Be Corrected

      Every age and degree of understanding
      should have its proper measure of discipline.
      With regard to boys and adolescents, therefore,
      or those who cannot understand the seriousness
      of the penalty of excommunication,
      whenever such as these are delinquent
      let them be subjected to severe fasts
      or brought to terms by harsh beatings,
      that they may be cured.

      REFLECTION

      We are, after all, creatures of our own age, for better or worse.
      Every age has its hotspots and button-pushers, so it should amaze no
      one that many freak out immediately on the phrase "harsh beatings." ("Calm
      down now, breathe deeply. Paramedics will be here any minute
      now..Try not to speak...We'll see if we can get that dosage adjusted
      for you so you won't have these dreadful fugues anymore...")

      Don't let our own age's revulsion at corporal punishment (which was
      thought perfectly sane when St. Benedict wrote,) blind you to the
      pearl of great price herein. "Every age and degree of understanding
      should have its proper measure of discipline."

      Probably unintentional (but the Holy Spirit can sneak a lot of His
      stuff into our words,) is the poetic ambiguity of the words "every
      age." That can mean all ages of an individual AND all ages of
      history. Quite evidently, the best minds of our own age no longer
      subscribe to beating sense into someone as a terribly useful method.
      So we affirm that and move on to the good stuff here.

      The good stuff is personalism in the extreme. Every person is
      different at every stage of their lives and every age in which people
      are born produces different people. The stuff that horrified my
      mother's generation often amuses me. I chuckle, or laugh right out
      loud. Most of us can probably say that. We are different from the
      generations before us because everything that formed us was NOT
      identical to the external forces which formed our elders.

      Think of the people you have thought were mean. I'll bet that there
      is a statistically significant trend among them, a tendency to "one
      size fits all" in punishment. Not so, folks, not so. Any who think
      that one size fits all must have their vision deflected to either the
      law itself or their own annoyance, but they certainly couldn't hold
      such a position if they were actually looking at the person before
      them.

      St. Benedict wants us to look at the person at all times, not just in
      figuring out a punishment or discipline. Look at the person, LOOK,
      really look at the other. Why? because in the confusing mosaic of all
      those others we shall see Christ, to Whom we must prefer nothing,
      because He is really, truly there. Over time and with struggles, that
      kaleidoscopic mess of bits will emerge into a truest portrait, even if
      only in Heaven. We shall, when we see Christ at last, recognize Him
      better and at once because of all His people who have given us
      glimpses, no matter how slight.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2016

        +PAX

        Belated feastday prayers for our Sr, Maria Isabel, whose feastday was Sat., Nov. 5, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Regina, and prayers for her husband and all their family, and for all who mourn her.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of John, and all his family, especially his brother, and for all who mourn him.

        Deo gratias, Richard V., whose severe alcoholism we prayed for has seen a therapist and has appointments for help. Things are calm for now, may they remain so.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of a woman who committed suicide, and for her family and all who mourn her.

        Prayers that Sean be more open to God's presence in his heart. That Darcy be protected from stress. Both Sean and Darcy are facing the potential upbringing of 3 grandchildren.

        Prayers for Kaila, who has abandoned her children that she get help and come to know Christ as her savior. And for her children who miss their mom and are too young to understand why mom abandoned them.

        Prayers for Duane, who is caring for one child alone and unable to care for the other children without help. That God heal all of the pain and heartache that Kaila has caused her family and loved ones. May Christ find them and bind them to Himself and heal all involved.

[...]

        are born produces different people. We are different from the
        generations before us because everything that formed us was NOT
        identical to the external forces which formed our elders.

        Think of the people you have thought were mean. I'll bet that there
        is a statistically significant trend among them, a tendency to "one
        size fits all" in punishment. Not so, folks, not so. Any who think
        that one size fits all certainly couldn't hold such a position if they were