Apr 29

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2003

      Prayers, please, for John and Anne, on their 25th wedding
      anniversary! Ad multos annos! Also for Louise, my mother; today would
      have been her 85th birthday. God's will be done! Thanks so much. NRN
      JL

      April 29, August 29, December 29
      Chapter 71: That the Brethren Be Obedient to One Another

      Not only is the boon of obedience
      to be shown by all to the Abbot,
      but the brethren are also to obey one another,
      knowing that by this road of obedience they are going to God.
      Giving priority, therefore, to the commands of the Abbot
      and of the Superior appointed by him
      (to which we allow no private orders to be preferred),
      for the rest
      let all the juniors obey their seniors
      with all charity and solicitude.
      But if anyone is found contentious,
      let him be corrected.

      And if any brother,
      for however small a cause,
      is corrected in any way by the Abbot or by any of his Superiors,
      or if he faintly perceives
      that the mind of any Superior is angered or moved against him,
      however little,
      let him at once, without delay,
      prostrate himself on the ground at his feet
      and lie there making satisfaction
      until that emotion is quieted with a blessing.
      But if anyone should disdain to do this,
      let him undergo corporal punishment
      or, if he is stubborn, let him be expelled from the monastery.

      REFLECTION

      My dear friend, Fr. Damian, of St. Leo Abbey, once said: "If it gives
      him so much pleasure and causes me so little pain, why not?" Great
      philosophy! It is very easy to let people have their way in
      reasonable requests and it goes a very long way to strengthen peace,
      security and unity.

      Think of how people are described who answer any request with
      cheerful action: "She's someone you can count on." Well, we all ought
      to be able to count on one another. If you are a Benedictine in a
      situation where people are not dependable in this fashion, try being
      a counter witness. Let people count on you, then, when their hearts
      soften a bit, tell 'em what Father Damian said. If even one person
      changes, the world is better.

      Not all obedience is equal, even this chapter points that out.
      Obeying the abbot is one thing, obeying each other is quite another.
      But there is a connection to ALL obedience. Sometimes obeying a co-
      worker is a lot easier than obeying the boss, yet these small steps
      of compliance also strengthen us. Obeying each other can be a back
      door way into some real growth in obedience. The key to obedience is
      learning to control our own will. Any good effort in that direction
      will yield results.

      Want some really deep theological perspective? Obeying each other
      simply makes us nicer people.As a Southern nurse I used to work with
      once said: "Anybody can be a skunk at a garden party if they want to,
      but why bother?" She and Father Damian are both right: it is easy to
      let others live.

      jeromeleo@... St. Mary's Monastery