Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Oct 27

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2007
      +PAX

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have
      taken their own lives.+

      Please pray for all those whose prayer requests were not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers
      are never, ever late. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Until the return of our good Brother Jerome please bless me with
      your prayer requests at:
      michael_oblate@...

      February 26, June 27, October 27
      Chapter 20: On Reverence in Prayer

      When we wish to suggest our wants to persons of high station, we do
      not presume to do so
      except with humility and reverence. How much the more, then, are
      complete humility and pure devotion necessary in supplication of
      the Lord who is God of the universe! And let us be assured that it
      is not in saying a great deal that we shall be heard (Matt 6:7),
      but in purity of heart and in tears of compunction. Our prayer,
      therefore, ought to be short and pure, unless it happens to be
      prolonged by an inspiration of divine grace. In community, however,
      let prayer be very short, and when the Superior gives the signal
      let all rise together.

      REFLECTION

      There is a necessary tension in Benedictine prayer, both public and
      private, between the awesome majesty and otherness of God and His
      infinite closeness and approachability. God is among us. He is not
      the guy next door, but neither is He some untouchable, easily
      offended emperor or sultan. Both these truths must be addressed in
      order to maintain a correct balance.

      God doesn't need ceremony, He doesn't need anything. All the high
      church in the world might (or might not...) tickle His fancy, but
      it does not one whit for Him personally. The rub here is that WE
      need what we offer to God, and that has been all too often
      forgotten.

      In a very real and subtle sense, we BECOME what we offer to God,
      often quite unnoticed by ourselves. The upshot of all this is
      clear: offer God the lowest possible common denominator and that is
      what those offering same will become. Offer Him empty and
      presumptuous high church as theatre and be not surprised when those
      offering such
      things become rather ridiculously silly themselves. In very sad
      fact, either empty extreme will make people pathetically silly and
      spiritually impoverished besides.

      St. Benedict says far less about personal prayer than the
      Carmelites, but everything he says here would warm the hearts of
      Sts. Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross. The "short and pure"
      prayer that he recommends was already a great favorite of the
      Desert Fathers and Mothers. They loved "one-liners", often just
      repeating "O God, come to my assistance," or other phrases from
      the Psalms, many of which figure in the Office to our own day.

      This is another truly Benedictine form of prayer, one that can be
      started without any preparation at all, the "short and pure"
      aspirations repeated from the heart. The Jesus Prayer would work
      well here, or any other of a number of phrases from devotional
      prayer or
      Scripture. Like the early Desert monastics, one may weave them into
      virtually any part of the day or work.

      Even a surprise moment of solitude on an elevator is a chance for a
      few good Jesus Prayers! In line at the grocery store one could
      choose to only read the scandal sheet headlines every other day
      (LOL!) and use some of that time for aspirations instead.
      Opportunities abound! The shortness of this prayer is perfect for
      busy Oblates, a real connection to our Benedictine family and way
      that is accessible to all.

      We can get distracted when repeating a one-line prayer many times.
      On the one hand, one should struggle to remain focused, but on the
      other, a Desert Father once quipped that, if God counted
      distraction at Psalmody, no one could be saved! I have always taken
      great
      comfort in that saying, since frequently (like, say, daily...) I
      more closely resemble a Tibetan prayer wheel than a praying,
      conscious monk. It may be folly, but I hope God is pleased with
      even those "prayer wheel" times. Another Desert saying has it that,
      even when we are distracted at prayer, it still annoys the demons
      and is worth at least that!!

      A very Benedictine warning here that the Carmelites would strongly
      approve: prayer is only to be prolonged by "inspiration of divine
      grace." When God does let us feel something wonderful in prayer, a
      very understandable temptation is to hang onto the feeling, to
      prolong it, to produce it again. Doesn't work, folks, and it could
      very well turn into a trap. When God prolongs prayer or gives us
      graces, fine! Relax, swim in His grace and enjoy it, but never,
      ever try to fill the pool for a quick dip on your own. That's not
      the way prayer- or God- works.

      Love and prayers,
      Jerome,OSB
      http:www.stmarysmonastery.org