Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Oct 25

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2007

      Please pray for spiritual, physical and emotional healing for:

      Susanne's brother Matthew, that he may gain the maturity and wisdom
      to accept our Father's plan for him, and to have courage and faith
      in these times of trial, and to accept his will to be able to
      minister to others who may gain from his experience.

      Those in Southern California who have lost their homes, their
      history... that they may be enlightened to God's will in their
      lives, that their experience may help someone else even more in
      need, in crisis, in disaster...

      Those who have turned their backs on our Father... for they must
      follow His path, even through their trial of darkness... to re-
      unite with him in his illuminating light... that they find the
      strength to find the answers of which they are so desperately
      seeking.... whether they realize it or not...

      Love, that it overwhelms and envelopes all, so His will be done.

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have
      taken their own lives.+

      Please pray for all those whose prayer requests were not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers
      are never, ever late. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Until the return of our good Brother Jerome please bless me with
      your prayer requests at:
      michael_oblate@...

      The order of psalmody for the day Hours being thus arranged, let
      all the remaining Psalms be equally distributed among the seven
      Night Offices by dividing the longer Psalms among them and
      assigning twelve Psalms to each night.

      We strongly recommend, however, that if this distribution of the
      Psalms is displeasing to anyone, she should arrange them otherwise,
      in whatever way she considers better,
      but taking care in any case that the Psalter with its full number
      of 150 Psalms be chanted every week and begun again every Sunday at
      the Night Office. For those monastics show themselves too lazy in
      the service to which they are vowed, who chant less than the
      Psalter with the customary canticles in the course of a week,
      whereas we read that our holy Fathers strenuously fulfilled that
      task in a single day. May we, lukewarm that we are, perform it at
      least in a whole week!

      REFLECTION

      I am going to begin this by reprinting two paragraphs of very
      important qualifications from the last post on this chapter, in
      February.

      "I hasten to add a word of caution to Oblates here: the Holy Rule
      is referring to choral Office in monasteries. To undertake for
      oneself such an Office could well be unwise, and sometimes, even
      wrong. The conditions of one's state in life come first. Oblates who
      are
      parents or married have kept Vigils and Nocturns with sick children
      or spouses of which professed monastics would never dream. Don't get
      hung up on this one. SHARE the Office all you can, but tend first
      to the responsibilities of your state in life.

      Before I became a monk I used to OCCASIONALLY do all 150 Psalms
      alone. There were two things worthy of mention here: I was a single
      man with one (very loving!) cat, and I recited them. Even at that,
      I can assure you it took up a chunk of time. Hence, Oblates should
      take great care that they don't obsess on this notion. Do what you
      can and rest assured that your community, and the Order and the
      whole praying Church is "making up" whatever you can't offer."

      A couple of years ago, the guesthouse well died (temporarily,
      thanks be to God!) We had to gather 10 gallon plastic buckets for
      each bathroom, haul them down the hill to the monastery in the
      station wagon, fill them and bring them back. What a hassle! We
      also had to caution the guests rather indelicately about no
      unnecessary flushes. Even more recently, a storm left us without
      electricity for several hours. Afraid to open the fridge too much
      and with no oven, we ordered pizza in Athol for the guesthouse.

      Both of these things were tough, but neither were anything compared
      to the amount of labor required to maintain life in the first
      centuries of the Order's existence. Neither were there lay
      brothers to do all that work in those days, since they were a much
      later development. No electricity, no indoor plumbing, no running
      water, no phones, no Athol House of Pizza to call and no car to pick
      it up in. (OK aqueducts in some places, but you get the picture...)
      In the midst of a life that we would find crushingly different, St.
      Benedict insisted on the weekly 150. Hmmmm......

      We live in a world where countless labor-saving devices and perks
      give us far more time than anyone in history has ever had. Are we
      always good stewards of that abundance? Heaven knows, I don't want
      to give up those modern advantages, look at how hooked on computers
      I am. But what do we do with all that time? How much of the time we
      save goes to prayer? How much goes to mindless stuff we could well
      do without?