Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Oct 24

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2007

      Please pray for spiritual, physical and emotional healing for:

      Ann Robertson and her parents who are very ill, the three of them
      need prayer; guidance for Ann at this time; Donnie an alcoholic and
      his family; Gloria and her daughter Ailine undergoing serious health
      tests; Father Frank.

      Gerald who is having difficulty healing following open heart surgery
      (allergic to metal stitches); Michele and her sisters as they grieve
      the loss of their sister Jan; For improved health for John, who is
      95, and living far from family; and for his family who love him as
      they seek to move him closer to family; For rain to end the forest
      fires in southern California.

      Barb and Ed. Big marital problems, and loss of faith on his part.

      Dan. All 12 biopsy sites came back postive for prostate cancer. The
      hope is that the radiation will shrink the cancer enough to remove
      it without having to take the entire prostate out. Continued prayers
      for help in the days ahead.

      Angela, 17, just found out she is pregnant. Her mother did not take
      the news well and she has left home and moved in with a friend.
      Other family and friends are supportive, as well as the father. She
      wants to finish high school, and is undecided as to whether or not
      to marry the father, or adoption. Please pray that God shows her
      what to do about the baby., and reconciliation with her mother.

      Sister Mary Joseph's brother-in-law, for whom we prayed, had surgery
      a couple of weeks ago and the doctors were sure they got all the
      cancer out, but he is now having a bit of a setback, running a high
      fever, and experiencing a good bit of pain. They fear an infection
      may have set in. Please continue prayers for him again, for a full
      recovery.

      Please pray for the happy death and eternal repose of Pat's mother,
      Alfreda, who went home to the Lord at 2am on the 23rd (if I have the
      date and time correct).

      Please pray for the people of S. California as they suffer through
      a catastrophic series of fires and also all the fire fighters and
      their families.

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have
      taken their own lives.+

      Please pray for all those whose prayer requests were not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers
      are never, ever late. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Until the return of our good Brother Jerome please bless me with
      your prayer requests at:
      michael_oblate@...

      Vespers are to be sung with four Psalms every day. These shall
      begin with Psalm 109 and go on to Psalm 147, omitting those which
      are set apart for other Hours; that is to say that
      with the exception of Psalms 117 to 127 and Psalms 133 and 142, all
      the rest of these are to be said at Vespers. And since there are
      three Psalms too few, let the longer ones of the above number be
      divided, namely Psalms 138, 143 and 144. But let Psalm 116 because
      of its brevity be joined to Psalm 115.

      The order of the Vesper Psalms being thus settled, let the rest of
      the Hour -- lesson, responsory, hymn, verse and canticle -- be
      carried out as we prescribed above.

      At Compline the same Psalms are to be repeated every day, namely
      Psalms 4, 90 and 133.

      REFLECTION

      Maybe it's just me, but I find Vespers and Compline very different
      and refreshing. They are evening hours, not followed by work,
      except for the light clean up after supper, which is not a main
      meal here anyway. Vespers makes me think of finally getting home
      and shutting
      the door after a long day and a tough commute. It is a flavor no
      other hour has for me. It ends the workday, leaving the evening for
      family. Not shabby! A rite of passage from the job to the home
      hearth!

      A brief glance at the Psalms for Vespers will show that they are
      yet another example of consecutive, running psalmody. One right
      after another, except for a few which get bumped elsewhere or
      thoughtfully divided because of their length. Apparently by
      numerical happenstance, Psalm 140 winds us in the Vespers grouping,
      and it is most appropriate: "Let my prayer ascend to You like
      incense and the lifting up of my hands like an evening sacrifice."
      Historically, Psalm 140 has appeared in the Vespers or services of
      light
      (Lucenaria) of many, many rites.

      For active monasteries, or for busy Oblates in the world, evening
      and early morning are often the only times we get of relative
      cloister and focus. The morning hours are largely available to
      anyone willing or able to get up while the rest of the world
      (including the kids!)
      sleeps, the evening hours perhaps less so. Those evenings are
      family times par excellence and our first vocations must always be
      respected.

      If, as a working parent or spouse, getting home means just getting
      started with dinner, don't despair! There is (or can be, if you
      provide for it,) a lot of undistracted solitude in cooking, even if
      it is rather harried cooking. If you can GENTLY establish a quiet
      space for yourself while cooking, go for it. The solitude of a
      kitchen at work feeding loved ones is a rich one, indeed. Be careful
      not to make your family crazy, though. That's why I stress GENTLY!
      The family comes first!

      If you are into tapes, get one of somebody else singing Vespers and
      play it. Heaven knows, if you can put up with the kids' music, they
      can put up with yours for half an hour a day. Even if you do not
      listen to every word, the soothing chant will settle into your bones,
      become a backdrop of peace on which you can position the rest of
      your evening. Give it a shot for two weeks and I'll bet you find
      your evening meals and later times very different, because YOU are
      different!

      A further plus is that the memory of you listening to Gregorian
      chant while cooking, admittedly a rather unusual practice, will
      stay in your children's minds long, long after you are gone. Who
      knows what a snippet of chant memory might do for a faith life years
      after you have died?