Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Oct 22

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2007

      Please pray for Nadeem's friend living in Malaysia. She is married
      to a Muslim man who refuses to allow her to practice Christianity.

      Please pray for Steve he leaves for a vocational retreat at Our Lady
      of Spring Bank Abbey, the Cistercians in Sparta, Wisconsin. This
      will be his second time with them while he has been exploring the
      possibility of a monastic vocation.

      Please pray for safe travle for Brother Jerome.

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have
      taken their own lives.+

      Please pray for all those whose prayer requests were not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers
      are never, ever late. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Until the return of our good Brother Jerome please bless me with
      your prayer requests at:

      Let this verse be said: "Incline unto my aid, O God; O Lord, make
      haste to help me,"
      and the "Glory be to the Father" then the hymn proper to each Hour.

      Then at Prime on Sunday four sections of Psalm 118 are to be said;
      and at each of the remaining Hours, that is Terce, Sext and None,
      three sections of the same Psalm 118.

      At Prime on Monday let three Psalms be said, namely Psalms 1, 2 and
      6. And so each day at Prime until Sunday let three Psalms be said
      in numerical order, to Psalm 19,
      but with Psalms 9 and 17 each divided into two parts. Thus it comes
      about that the Night Office on Sunday always begins with Psalm 20.

      Since Prime was to be said before work, its Psalms could vary. The
      Tuesday through Saturday repetition of the same 9 Psalms for minor
      hours excludes Prime, which was probably said in Church or Chapter
      room, or partially in both. Since Prime was celebrated where books
      were available, it could use different Psalms every day and did.
      There was no need for the memorization which would allow farmer
      monks to celebrate None in the midst of a hayfield.

      I was glad to hear from some who especially loved the prayers of
      Prime. So do I! Here, however, is yet another offering from the
      Office of Prime: its hymn. Being metrical, it is easily memorized.
      A nurse friend of mine told me years ago she used to sing this hymn
      every morning at an Episcopal summer camp for kids. Not a bad idea
      at all! Enjoy!

      _http://www.stmarysmonastery.org_ (http://www.stmarysmonastery.org)
      Petersham, MA 01366

      Now that the daylight fills the sky
      We lift our hearts to God on high,
      That He, in all we do or say,
      Would keep us free from harm today:

      Would guard our hearts and tongues from strife;
      From anger's din would hide our life;
      From evil sights would turn our eyes;
      Would close our ears to vanities.

      So we, when this new day is gone
      and night in turn is drawing on,
      With conscience by the world unstained
      Shall praise His name for vict'ry gained.

      To God the Father and the Son
      And Holy Spirit, three in one,
      Be endless glory as before
      The world began, so evermore. Amen.