Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Oct 20

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2007

      Please pray for Nadeem in Pakistan (Oblate Novice, St. Vincent
      Archabbey) who will celebrate "Mother Mary Festival" from Nov. 9th
      to the 11th. Among events will be a play written by Nadeem and a
      rosary performed by his youth group. For two years the event has
      been cancelled for fear of terrorist and anti-Catholic/Christian
      retaliation. Please keep them all in your prayers that Almighty God
      will protect them from violence.

      Please pray for Lynn who has learned she have obsessive compulsive
      behavior and possible borderline ADD. Also for those her behavior
      has hurt.

      Claudia's Uncle, Ned Serrio, has just been diagnosed with advance
      multiple myeloma. We prayed for his mother, Aunt Clara, last year,
      she is still alive at 99 and is doing OK. The prognosis is bleak.
      Please also pray for his wife, Michelle, their children: Marc,
      Michelle and Ken (all grown up) and their extended family and
      friends.

      Please pray for Ann Marie who is going for a job interview. She
      REALLY wants this job and is burnt out from her current one where
      she runs a program that cares for Alzheimer patients.

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have
      taken their own lives.+

      Please pray for all those whose prayer requests were not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers
      are never, ever late. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Until the return of our good Brother Jerome please bless me with
      your prayer requests at:
      michael_oblate@...

      February 19, June 20, October 20
      Chapter 16: How the Work of God Is to Be Performed During the Day

      "Seven times in the day," says the Prophet, "I have rendered praise
      to You" (Ps. 118:164).
      Now that sacred number of seven will be fulfilled by us if we
      perform the Offices of our service at the time of the Morning
      Office, of Prime, of Terce, of Sext, of None, of Vespers and of
      Compline, since it was of these day Hours that he said, "Seven
      times in the day I have rendered praise to You." For as to the
      Night Office the same Prophet says, "In the middle of the night I
      arose to glorify You" (Ps. 118:62).

      Let us therefore bring our tribute of praise to our Creator "for
      the judgments of His justice" (Ps. 118:164) at these times: the
      Morning Office, Prime, Terce, Sext, None,
      Vespers and Compline; and in the night let us arise to glorify Him.

      REFLECTION

      Tucked neatly into all this business of naming and counting the
      Hours of the Divine Office comes the actual reason we go to choir
      or say the Office alone. It is "our tribute of praise to our
      Creator 'for the judgments of His justice' "

      OK, tribute, praise, glorify, all those things are familiar enough
      to us, but the zinger here is "for the judgments of His justice."
      Whoops! A lot fall out on that one! Whether we realize it or not,
      the reason we praise God as Benedictines is to thank Him for ALL
      His decisions in regard to us. That isn't easy, but it is terribly
      valid and terribly necessary.

      We thank God- admittedly sometimes with gritted teeth- for all the
      things that did and DIDN'T work out the way we wanted them, for
      every acceptance and every rejection that brought us to be as we
      find ourselves today, in His arms, even when we cannot feel His
      arms. The jobs we didn't get, the great loves which were not
      reciprocal, the course we flunked, the kids that went wrong, the
      illness that dogs us, the spouse we should never have gone out with
      twice, the unwanted pregnancy, the miscarriage, EVERYTHING that has
      shaped our lives and persons is something we thank God for in the
      Office.

      I mention only the difficult things, because anybody can be
      thankful that the apparently great stuff worked out. Nor am I
      saying all the bad stuff is God's fault, or that it's our own
      fault, but ALL of it is turned to good by God, and that is worth
      singing about! All of
      it! If we look back honestly, we can see the hand of His goodness
      in the darkest times, we can see it in NOT having our way, we can
      see it in everything.

      Since the way God turns all to good is a mystery we shall never
      know fully in this life, we cannot adequately say much of anything
      but thanks and praise, the stammered joy of someone who has
      received a really great gift and is astounded at such generosity.
      Thanks, God. And hey, You really DID know what You were doing all
      along, didn't You?

      Own it, beloveds, God's will truly IS best. All is really mercy and
      grace! All! And, uh, oh yeah- Alleluia!!!!!!!!!