Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Oct 19

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2007

      Please pray for Monica, severe reaction to chemo caused dehydration
      and nausea. Now she had fallen and broken her hip requiring 4 or 5
      day in hospital and rehab afterwards. Please keep the family in your
      prayers too.

      Please continue prayers for Jane'a Father. His neurosurgeon a blood
      thinner. So they gave him 2 shots in the stomach and sent him home.
      He sees his chemo oncologist tomorrow to discuss all this. Jane is
      deeply concerned about how much more his body can take. Please pray
      for the whole family and those who provide medical teatment.

      Please pray for a Suffering Woman, her 20 month old daughter, and
      Suffering Woman's extended family. She is lost from her faith,
      going through divorce, and still suffering from shattering sexual
      violence done to her 11 years ago. Prayers that God will guide her
      family in how to help her, as she is making some very bad decisions
      that will effect the rest of their lives.

      Please pray that Drew will be healed from a persistent case of
      pneumonia. He has lost much income as a result of this illness
      which, in addition to the illness itself, is a source of worry.
      Please pray that he may trust the Lord to provide and that he be

      Please pray that Wyatt, his sisters and Mom and Dad follow through
      with family counselling and that they have a successful outcome.
      Pray that Wyatt and the girls are protected from any kind of mental
      or physical abuse.

      Update on the young girl lost in the forest. She may have been taken
      in by friends.

      Prayers please for Jan (not Jeanette) who has lung cancer in a big
      way now and for her return to her faith.

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have
      taken their own lives.+

      Please pray for all those whose prayer requests were not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers
      are never, ever late. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Until the return of our good Brother Jerome please bless me with
      your prayer requests at:

      +++Our good Brother Jerome has arrived safely at Pluscarden Abbey in
      Northern Scotland. Please continue your prayers for a safe journey.
      +++ http://www.pluscardenabbey.org/theabbey.asp

      February 18, June 19, October 19
      Chapter 15: At What Times "Alleluia" Is to Be Said

      From holy Easter until Pentecost without interruption
      let "Alleluia" be said both in the Psalms and in the responsories.
      From Pentecost to the beginning of Lent let it be said every night
      with the last six Psalms of the Night Office only. On every Sunday,
      however, outside of Lent, the canticles, the Morning Office, Prime,
      Terce, Sext and None shall be said with "Alleluia," but Vespers
      with antiphons.

      The responsories are never to be said with "Alleluia" except from
      Easter to Pentecost.

      It is not uncommon for me to get posts asking how on earth I can
      say "God's will is best." after recounting some litany of horrible
      things which have befallen people in need of our prayers. Well, now
      I up the ante a bit and add the equivalent of "Alleluia!" , "praise
      to each post.

      In every instance, even when it is all we can do to choke it out,
      gritting our teeth, we must always say Alleluia. God must always be
      praised, always, even when we cannot see goodness anywhere else at
      all, it *IS* in Him and must be acknowledged. I fully expect
      that, before long, new subscribers who have not seen this post will
      begin to write and ask me how and who I can say Alleluia after
      metastatic cancer and the like. Guess I'll have to save an answer in
      my file!

      We can see here that, in the West, already by St. Benedict's
      time, "Alleluia" became a happy word of celebration, the use of
      which was proscribed in somber times like Lent. That didn't happen
      in the East. They go merrily along with Alleluia, even in the
      depths of
      Lent. There might be a lot more sense to that, actually.

      "Alleluia" means "Praise the Lord!" I know we have taken it to mean
      something a lot more like "Whoopee!", but it doesn't. I bow to St.
      Benedict and Western tradition in the liturgical use. In our
      hearts, however, there should be an "Alleluia/praise the Lord" at
      all times
      and seasons. "Praise the Lord anyhow!" the charismatics used to say
      when something dreadful or unlovely happened to one. How true, how
      very true!

      I say this, not as complaint, but simply as information. My own
      life, by and large, has not been a happy one. I have not had the
      crosses of many, but I have had heavy, tailor-made ones of my own.
      Getting HIV two years before I became a monk comes to mind, as does
      living with it for nearly 17 years. So does depression, which just
      about equals it, and I was depressed LONG before I had HIV.

      I was not always very graceful about that, nor about many a
      heartbreak, but I do know and I can honestly say that God's will HAS
      been best, always best. My 20/20 hindsight must, though grudgingly
      at times, fully own that Alleluia was appropriate at every point,
      in every instance.

      Saying that does not mean that I can no longer be terrified at this
      or that prospect. I can. We all can. Jesus was in Gethsemane. It is
      a very human fear, and God finds our humanity, in which He sees His
      Son, very fetching. So don't freak out if you still get scared, it
      is part
      and parcel of our human condition. But even then, we must train
      ourselves to praise!

      In every heartbreak, in every despair, in every grief we must
      ardently cling to our faith that God is merciful and good. We must
      see that when we feel unable to see it. We must, by faith and sheer
      will, affirm that the Lord must be praised at all times. He is not
      mean. Whatever is bleak shall never, ever lack His tender,
      caressing hand behind it, no matter how unseen to us. It is there.
      He is there. Always! Praise the Lord! ALLELUIA!