Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Oct 18

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2007

      Update on the little girl missing in the forest. Although she's
      still missing, there is some indication that she made it out of the
      forest and is probably being sheltered by a friend.

      Please pray for Bob, Ann Marie's husband and the loss of his sight.
      Increasing difficulty and mental anguish. For the family and all
      their needs. Also, that the Holy Spirit will shower His gifts on the
      ACT Conference next week.

      Please pray that Tonia would return to her faith and that God would
      heal that broken family.

      Please pray for Amy, struggling with anorexia, that she will find
      the help to kick this once and for all and regain health, for all
      those suffering from anorexia and other eating disorders and for
      God's appointed medical health providers.

      Please pray for Wyatt, a 10 year old boy who has been bounced back
      and forth between separated parents since birth. He is now forced
      to live with his Grandmother who is too old to care for him. Pray
      for the whole family and that Wyatt and his two sisters are

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have
      taken their own lives.+

      Please pray for all those whose prayer requests were not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers
      are never, ever late. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Until the return of our good Brother Jerome please bless me with
      your prayer requests at:

      February 17, June 18, October 18
      Chapter 14: How the Night Office Is to Be Said on the Feasts of the

      On the feasts of Saints and on all festivals let the Office be
      performed as we have prescribed for Sundays, except that the
      Psalms, the antiphons and the lessons belonging to that particular
      day are to be said. Their number, however, shall remain as we have
      specified above.

      Every love life needs a bit of variety now and then, even the
      monogamous ones, even the celibate ones, and, let us face it, our
      prayer is (or ought to be!) a love life. Without marking certain
      days as special, our Office would quickly become a bland and tedious
      On the other hand, mark too much as special and people soon get
      worn out. Variety itself becomes boring and a chore. What sane
      married couple would insist on spending every night in a different
      motel? One or both would quickly tire of that and it would destroy
      the very freshness and unity it was aiming to protect.

      Having lived in a monastery for part of the 1960's and 70's where
      the liturgy became the sad equivalent of a revolving door, changing
      often and not often well, I can speak from experience. It became
      dreadful to wonder what would happen next. It pulled out the
      necessary underpinnings of a certain stability and changelessness
      that a Benedictine life of prayer requires.

      Ah, but in the quest for simplicity carried to unfortunate
      extremes, it did, at times, become UTTERLY changeless. Same old
      same old, every single day with nothing different but the prayer at
      the end, if that. ("Oh boy, it must be Tuesday again....!") No
      antiphons, just psalms and canticles. No music other than the hymn,
      same seven each week for each hour, a few good, many bad.... No
      Glory be between Psalms, just one at the end. It was dull and gave
      even more of an impression of "let's just get this over with" than
      the old Office did at its very worst. One often wondered why we
      still bothered to go to choir.

      A balance between variety and stability is where the virtue truly
      lies. I have never heard anyone complain about singing or saying
      the same unchanging parts of the Mass every day, because they are
      set in the midst of elements that DO change every day. The same
      must be true of the Office to a certain extent. When SO much changes
      at feasts that one longs and pines for a weekday with one book and
      NOTHING special, that balance has been missed. On the other hand,
      the changeless mundane misses the balance as well. One should never
      have to come out of a "simple" Office and think quietly: "Wow, that
      dumb...." (But I often have.)

      St. Benedict built the necessary change right into his Office for
      monasteries. Ignore his bottom line or extend it unduly and you get
      into trouble. In this instance, as in so many, he was far wiser
      than we are, than people of any age are.