Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Oct 16

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2007

      Please pray for Leo, who has died, and for his wife, Gen. Please
      pray for a couple whose marriage is rocky, and the husband is in a
      crisis of faith, doubting or denying God's existence.

      Please pray for Lauren who will be starting chemo soon.

      Please pray for Darla, cancer has spread to her bones; inoperable.
      No estimate as to time left.

      Please prayer for Tom who has prostate cancer.

      Please pray for Jane's Father, another trip to the ER for a blood
      clot in his leg. Pray blood thinners do there work.

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have
      taken their own lives.+

      Please pray for all those whose prayer requests were not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers
      are never, ever late. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Until the return of our good Brother Jerome please bless me with
      your prayer requests at:
      michael_oblate@...

      February 15, June 16, October 16
      Chapter 13: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said on Weekdays

      On weekdays the Morning Office shall be celebrated as follows. Let
      Psalm 66 be said without an antiphon and somewhat slowly, as on
      Sunday, in order that all may be in time for Psalm 50, which is to
      be said with an antiphon. After that let two other Psalms be said
      according to custom, namely: on Monday Psalms 5 and 35, on Tuesday
      Psalms 42 and 56, on Wednesday Psalms 63 and 64, on Thursday Psalms
      87 and 89, on Friday Psalms 75 and 91, and on Saturday Psalm 142
      and the canticle from Deuteronomy, which is to be divided into two
      sections each terminated by a "Glory be to the Father." But on the
      other days let there be a canticle from the Prophets, each on its
      own day as chanted by the Roman Church. Next follow the Psalms of
      praise, then a lesson of the Apostle to be recited from memory, the
      responsory, the Ambrosian hymn, the verse, the canticle from the
      Gospel book, the litany, and so the end.

      REFLECTION

      Many, many Oblates wish they could say more of the Office than they
      do. Unfortunately, many, MANY things complicate that for them, not
      least of which is that virtually every house is doing something
      different, often using several books that are neither easily
      portable nor readily available. The upshot is that many monastics,
      Oblates and professed, are forced to use the Roman Liturgy of the
      Hours when traveling or not in choir.

      Well, that undoubtedly connects one with the prayer of the whole
      Church, but it is not our own monastic Office. Oblates who know the
      hunger of this imperfect state of affairs may find at least a
      partial remedy in today's chapter. Psalms 66 and 50 are to be said
      daily. Granted, many houses with various Psalm arrangements no
      longer do so, or perhaps say
      one, but not both. However, by memorizing one or both of these
      Psalms (and 66 is VERY short and repetitious, to boot, easily
      memorized,) one can add them to the Roman morning prayer and thereby
      make it at least a tad more Benedictine!

      The tragedy of our Benedictine Office these days is that all of us
      have lost the ability to be exactly connected in prayer with the
      rest of the Order. That was not a shabby thing. There was great
      comfort in knowing that every Benedictine in the world was doing
      and saying the same things on the same days. We are no longer
      literally on the same page.

      Take comfort, slim though it may be, in this: using one or both of
      these Psalms daily will at least connect you to all the
      Benedictines BEFORE 1964, and even a good many after!! And there is
      a great, vast multitude of saints in that number. Denied connection
      in our own
      day, we may safely rejoice in what little we can glean with the
      holy monastics of the past who do, after all, represent the bulk of
      our 1,500 years of history!