Holy Rule for Oct. 9

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please for Br. Adrian of Pluscarden on his feastday, and for all our Adrians: many graces and blessings and many more years!

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Judy, Jim and Liz, and for all who mourn them.

      Prayers of thanksiving and Deo gratias for Todd and three other recived with him as Oblate novices of St. Gregory's Abbey, Shawnee, Oklahoma, this past Sunday. may the Benedictine lives they are beginning be filled with grace and mercy!

      Prayers for the spiritual, physical and mental health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who treat or care for them:

      Greg's Mom, a fracture found at the site of her recent hip replacement and she is very discouraged.

      the Mom of a friend of Greg's, stage four lung cancer and terminal, barring a miracle. Prayers, too, that
      someone who needs grace and strength to call her will do so. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Chapter 7: On Humility cont.
      February 8, June 9, October 9

      The eleventh degree of humility is that when a monk speaks he do so gently
      and without laughter, humbly and seriously, in few and sensible words, and
      that he be not noisy in his speech. It is written, "A wise man is known by
      the fewness of his words."

      REFLECTION

      I read this one and cringe, largely because I fail it so much. Part of my
      loudness is being 40% deaf, and while I try to control my levels of speech, I
      sometimes forget. That, however, in NO way absolves me from the wise man and
      fewness of words part, nor does it cover the flaws of my tendency to make a
      big splash nearly every time I'm entering the pool. Face it, beloveds, for those
      at poolside dining on dry snacks like potato chips, those big splashes can get
      very old, very fast!

      I'm speaking of my own failure here, but I imagine some of it may apply to
      others' lives, too. So many wasted words, and at such volume! What is their
      purpose, what insecurities do they cover? How many times do I speak as if on
      stage and why? To show that I am cool or a big shot or clever or funny?

      All those things are ultimately lies and the person I may be trying most to
      convince is my pathetically false self. How many times do I call it teasing
      when another is really hurt? How many times do I go over the top and not even
      notice?

      Even if I am only futilely trying to overcome my own boredom by creating some
      excitement, the message reads frighteningly clear: I am more important, I am
      a big deal, I matter more than the people or silence that make me
      uncomfortable. None of that is true in the sense I am modeling it. None. So why do I bother?
      Why do any of us? These are tough and excellent questions!

      There are, however, both positive and negative sides to this virtuous method
      of speech. Check out the "gently" part, check out the "fewness" of words, not
      their total absence. I have been at gatherings, not a few of them, alas,
      monastic, where such a tense and uneasy silence obtained that one began to
      ardently hope that someone would serve cyanide kool-aid and end the
      suffering! One leaves such a mess hankering for either a stiff drink or an antacid. Not
      what recreations are supposed to be and especially bad if they come right
      after supper!

      What is behind such recreations that have all the charm of a dead string
      quartet is often shyness or social ineptitude, but these, too, are faults in some
      instances and must be overcome. Just as the braying mule like myself must
      rein in, others must consciously "rein out". To fail to do so is to embrace
      the same lie: I matter more than this situation, than these people. My feelings
      are paramount. Whoops! Not so. Many humble people may be reticent, but there are
      plenty of ways to be shy that are decidedly neither humble nor kind.

      The twofold key is charity and balance. There have been times when I have
      seen a person- even been a person- who monopolized a recreation. There have been
      other times when I have longed for someone to do so. It requires that mindfulness
      born of love and balance to truthfully ascertain whether a situation would
      profit more from our silence or our speaking. But the key here is "profit
      more" and the recipients in mind must be others, not just ourselves. Buffoonery
      can certainly annoy, but silence can also sometimes hurt: this person doesn't
      care about me at all, it's like I didn't even exist. Somewhere between the
      extremes lies love, folks, and that is our precarious goal.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for Br. Adrian of Pluscarden, on his feastday, graces galore and many more! Special prayers for his health and for those caring for him, he is elderly and has some challenges to bear.

        Prayers for Dave H., needing to find God, but can’t seem to, he often turns to anti-religious posts as a result. May God touch him and fill his heart, may he be converted.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Chrissy, who passed several months ago, and for her husband, Pete, still sorely missing her, and for all who mourn her.

        Prayers for Gareth, undergoing severe harassment.

        Prayers for Nick and Nicole in South Carolina, this is the first time they have gone through a  hurricane. Prayers for their safety and for the safety of all. Deo gratias for all those who are safe, but extra prayers for the departed, as the death toll in the Caribbean has risen to around 400. Prayers for all their families and all who mourn those lost, too.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Catherine and Rosemary, and for all their families and all who mourn them.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of 6 killed in a terror attack in northeast Kenya

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Juan Viroche, found dead in Argentina after preaching against drug lords.

        Prayers for Tracy A., fighting multiple myeloma.

        Prayers for Chris, in ER with pneumonia and 50% kidney function, very weak and upset.

        Prayers for Mark, who needs a primary care assistant.

        Lord, help us all as You
        know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent,
        praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Chapter 7: On Humility cont.
        February 8, June 9, October 9

        The eleventh degree of humility is that when a monk speaks he do so gently
        and without laughter, humbly and seriously, in few and sensible words, and
        that he be not noisy in his speech. It is written, "A wise man is known by
        the fewness of his words."

        REFLECTION

        I read this one and cringe, largely because I fail it so much. Part of my
        loudness is being 40% deaf, and while I try to control my levels of speech, I
        sometimes forget. That, however, in NO way absolves me from the wise man and
        fewness of words part, nor does it cover the sins of my tendency to make a
        big splash nearly every time I'm entering the pool. Face it, beloveds, for those
        at poolside dining on dry snacks like potato chips, those big splashes can get
        very old, very fast!

        I'm speaking of my own failure here, but I imagine some of it may apply to
        others' lives, too. So many wasted words, and at such volume! What is their
        purpose, what insecurities do they cover? How many times do I speak as if on
        stage and why? To show that I am cool or a big shot or clever or funny? All
        those things are ultimately lies and the person I may be trying most to
        convince is my pathetically false self.

        How many times do I call it teasing when another is really hurt? How many
        times do I go over the top and not even notice, because my focus is really on
        myself? Even if I am only futilely trying to overcome my own boredom by