Holy Rule for Oct. 1

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who treat or care for them:

      A. and a painful family situation, lots of grace needed.

      Nancy, mid-80's, hip replacement.

      Sabrina, relapse in her drug addiction after some successful time of sobriety, may God fill her life and call er back to himself

      Carol, and for her high school students she teaches, many of whom have very tough lives. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility

      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      REFLECTION

      Merton once wrote "Love is the the Rule." That's what we can so often
      miss. One obeys out of love, love of God. Trust my limited experience
      here, please, there is no human being on earth whose tool kit is so
      complete that one can joyously follow and obey them without any
      reserve or hesitation, not one. On a purely human level, that would be
      most unwise. But we are not dealing with a human level here.

      We do follow without hesitation, but we do it for love, not for wisdom.
      We do it for love, not for taste or class or savoir faire. We do it for love,
      not because the superior is brilliant or right or gifted in any way. We
      don't do it because of the superior at all, if we are going about things
      the right way. Our obedience must be consistent, as must our faith, no
      matter who is in charge. We do it for love, for love of God.

      Anything less than love of God as a motive will fall flat on its
      face, and sooner rather than later! It never takes long. Life itself,
      within the cloister or without, is full of so much purblind stupidity
      and outright rubbish that nothing else could sustain one other than love
      of God. None but God can guarantee one's safety in holiness
      in the midst of such a situation. It truly is Him we obey.

      When one is younger, one can often play "Father or Mother knows
      best." (Superiors who are control freaks may love and encourage this
      ploy, even as a life script. Not wise...) That's not the point and it
      usually doesn't work for long either.

      Mother or Father sometimes quite pointedly know nothing at all. The will
      of God comes through to us in spite of them, not because they are
      wise or stupid, but because of love, God's love for us and for them. Many,
      many people in the church do the will of God for reasons that have nothing
      to do with God!

      They do it unwittingly, they may even do it cruelly or wrong-headedly, but
      that hardly matters. I think there is a mystical point where the love
      and will of God for one cannot ultimately be thwarted, where it is
      actually advanced by humans who have not a clue what they are doing.
      We do it for love, and that love will shield us, regardless, in the
      armor of His will and of His infinite Divine Mercy which surrounds us.
      Trust Him!

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2016

        +PAX

        + + + Please note that on this Sunday only, Oct. 2, there will be no music at the 10 AM Mass at our monastery in Petersham, just a simple Mass, as most of the monks and nuns are going to Mass at the Cathedral in Worcester to see our Sr. Maria receive a Retired Religious Award. Prayers for safe travel for us and for Sr. Maria and the other three recipients of the award. + + +

        Prayers for two Pluscarden monks giving retreats and for those on retreat with them. Our former abbot, Bishop Hugh, is giving a retreat to the seminarians of the Venerable English College in Rome and Fr. Benedict is giving a retreat to the diocesan priests of Ardundel and Brighton. May the Holy Spirit fill them all!

        Prayers for Moira and Angel, expecting their second child in February. For a safe pregnancy and delivery and for a healthy baby. Prayers, too for Gerry and Eva, proud grandparents.

        Prayers for Fr. Giles of Pluscarden and his Mom, 95, and his sister, Frankie. His Mom is gradually drifting downhill and his sister is having some health issues that are worrying, chest infections that don’t respond to treatment and other matters. Prayers for all three, please.

        Prayers for Dan, who had aorta surgery in February and now had suffered two mini strokes and cannot work. Extra prayers for him and his wife, as they are in a financial bind.

        Continued healing prayers for Heather and for her worried Mom, Mary Ann.

        Prayers for healing for Elaine, cancer in her liver and lungs, and for all her family.

        Prayers for a married couple who are separating, J. and S., and for their two young children and the children’s worried grandmother. May the couple somehow work things out and reconcile.

        Thanks to all who sent feastday Masses, Communions, prayers and greetings to me. I am not sure I got all of them acknowledged, so please accept this as my thanks to you all. Sorry if I missed anyone. I especially appreciate the prayers for the eternal rest of my Dad and Grandfather, too. They were both Jeromes.

        January 31, June 1, October 1
        Chapter 7: On Humility

        The third degree of humility is that a person
        for love of God
        submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
        imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
        "He became obedient even unto death."

        REFLECTION

        Looks a little repetitious here, doesn't it? Almost like St. Benedict
        was scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something to use for a
        third step, so he'd still wind up with twelve. Not so.

        This short passage tempts one to a short reading and that casual
        perusal will miss the terribly important things here. These are the
        important elements that frame and sustain our obedience: it is done
        for love of God, it is submission to another and it is lifelong.
        Remove any one of those mainstays and you no longer have a
        Benedictine.

        It is nothing to persevere to the end without love. Nothing. It is
        nothing to obey without love, war criminals did that quite admirably. Nor
        does it avail us anything at all to be obedient to ourselves: big
        challenge there! We'd wind up Sarabaites for sure, worshipping
        nothing but the idol of our own wills.

        This third degree gives the reason for Benedictine obedience: "for
        the love of God." We do not obey for so little as an orderly community,
        our obedience is not mere sociology, it is love. More even than just
        love, it is love of the One Who is Love at its highest perfection.

        We obey Love's delegates, our superiors, unto death. There are two
        meanings hidden in that phrase. It can mean martyrdom, obeying even
        to the point of being killed, but it also means obeying all of our lives,
        till the moment of our deaths. Frankly, few of us will be martyrs, because
        few of us are worthy of that grace. ALL of us, however, are called to the
        lifelong white martyrdom of obedience, which can often remind us that
        St. Teresa of Avila said that the martyrs "bought heaven cheaply", that
        they gained in one instant what the rest of us must plod on for many
        decades in a lifelong struggle to gain.

        Like Christ, for love, we become "obedient even unto death." During
        the Spanish Civil War, in the 30's, Communist forces raided the
        Benedictine monastery of El Pueyo, taking its 18 monks prisoner. One
        of the very significant things about this group is that many were
        just average monks, nothing special. All of them were martyred and
        one witness said that they went to their death "joyfully, as if going
        to a fiesta." These beatified martyrs were members of our Subiaco-Cassinese

        Congregation and we are justifiably proud to have them as our brothers.

        Benedictine obedience of love, even unto death is decidedly not the
        kind that would please earthly tyrants. In fact, they'd gladly kill
        us for it. There is quite a likeness to our crucified Lord if we
        embrace that peril fully.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30

          +PAX

          Thanks to all who offered feastday Masses, Communions, prayers and greetings to me. I am not sure I got all of them acknowledged, so please accept this as my thanks to you all. Sorry if I missed anyone. I especially appreciate the prayers for the eternal rest of my Dad and Grandfather, too. They were both Jeromes. And thanks to all who prayed for baby Declan Jerome, Sr. Jerome, the late Fr. Jerome of St. Leo, and all our Jeromes.

          Prayers for safe travels for Abbot Anselm, Fr. Gregory, Mother Mary Elizabeth, Fr. Bede, and all going to our provincial superiors meeting in the UK. May St. Christopher guide and protect them all.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Doreen, John’s Mum, and for John and all her family and all who mourn her. Doreen was baptized on her deathbed, may she have sped to heaven.

          Prayers for Br. Finbar’s uncle, Paddy, and for his wife, Sheila, Br. Finbar, and all their family. Paddy died on the day before his 50th wedding anniversary.

          Prayers for Tammy’s coworker, who needs a kidney transplant and a donor.

          Recently we asked for prayers for Ryan, age 17. He has a rare cancer and this past week lost his leg up to the thigh. Please continue your prayers for Ryan and his family.

          Prayers for Matthew age 17, his brain cancer has come out of remission. Prayers for him and his family.

          Prayers for the health of Joseph K., who has been ill. Prayers for his brother and family, too.