Holy Rule for Sept. 30

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of my Dad and grandfather on their feast day, and for all us Jeromes.

      Prayers, please for Jan, severe depression and a drinking problem, prayers, too, for all suffering from depression, other mental illnesses and addictions. So many suffer in silence and forgotten by most.

      Prayers for a special intention for the will of God regarding a retreat for Fr. Brendan, Bp. Basil, Pat and George. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The second degree of humility
      is that a person love not his own will
      nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
      but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
      It is written also,
      "Self-will has its punishment,
      but constraint wins a crown."

      REFLECTION

      OK, who doesn't love their own will, or take pleasure in satisfying
      their desires? Who doesn't love their individuality or some of the
      dearest things they own and treasure? For a healthy person, all of
      these are very normal loves. For some of us, one or another of these
      loves is very much part of our vocation, for example, in marriage
      one's sexuality is the very means of self-gift. The key is to keep
      them ordinate, in line and yes, balanced!

      The means to this step is neither to go overboard hunting for things
      we hate to afflict ourselves with nor to insist on our own way at all
      costs. The real meaning here is found in the statement that Christ
      came not to do His own will, but the will of His Father. With the exception
      of fasting, we don't see Jesus going out His way to find things distasteful to
      Him, nor do we see Him stoically and resolutely refusing to enjoy things that
      please Him. His will is one with the Father's. He also has a human nature
      that prayed in Gethsemane to be spared from that Divine will, but, in
      Jesus, the human nature, when it does not accord with the Divine,
      never wins.

      Alas, in us, that human will often DOES win: why else would we be
      struggling along the monastic way all our lives? Unlike Jesus, we are
      not sinless, we are able to sin and often do so all too gladly! We
      must daily- even from minute to minute- turn from the bad in our own
      wills. It is an ongoing fight, but that is what conversatio morum
      means, "conversion of manner of life"! As Benedictines we will-
      indeed, must- always be straining against the negative goad, always
      be seeking the place of greater light and good.

      The will of God is frequently very hard to see. For some of us, at
      some times, it is all but impossible to see. There will always be
      times when we must trundle along blindly, without our senses to
      reassure us. That is why trust is such an integral part of our
      monastic struggle. At those times, the only way haltingly forward is
      to embrace the blinding darkness before us and firmly, trustingly
      clutch the hand of Christ. Even in the darkness, we must say: "Jesus,
      I trust in You!"

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2016

        +PAX

        On this feast of St. Jerome, please say a prayer for the eternal rest of my Dad and my grandfather, both Jeromes, and even a prayer for me. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of Fr. Jerome of St. Leo Abbey, who died many years ago, for Sr. Jerome, who suffered a stroke, and for all our Jeromes. Thanks for all your prayers!

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Israel’s Shimon Peres, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the happy death of Jesse, in hospice care, and for his daughter, Therese, and all their family.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of David R., and for  the consolation of his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for Carol, one of our Petersham Oblates who begins walking El Camino  to Compostela in Spain on Friday. I have asked her to carry us all with her to St. James, so keep her in faithful prayer on her journey.

        Prayers for Brittany, toxic situation with a bullying co-worker, for protection and justice and, if God wills, for Brittany to find another place to work.

        Prayers for Beth W., having heart problems.

        Prayers for Claude, recurring cancer problems.

        Prayers for Janice, her allergies are making her very sick.

        Lord, help us all as You know and will.
        Thanks so much. JL

        The second degree of humility
        is that a person love not his own will
        nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
        but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
        "I have come not to do My own will,
        but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
        It is written also,
        "Self-will has its punishment,
        but constraint wins a crown."

        REFLECTION

        OK, who doesn't love their own will, or take pleasure in satisfying
        their desires? Who doesn't love their individuality or some of the
        dearest things they own and treasure? For a healthy person, all of
        these are very normal loves. For some of us, one or another of these
        loves is very much part of our vocation, for example, in marriage
        one's desire is the very means of self-gift. The key is to keep
        them ordinate, in line and yes, balanced!

        The real meaning here is found in the statement that Christ
        came not to do His own will, but the will of His Father. His will

        is united to the Father's. Jesus cannot sin.

        Alas, in us, our human wills often sin: why else would we be
        struggling along the monastic way all our lives? Unlike Jesus, we are
        not sinless, we are able to sin and often do so all too gladly! We
        must daily- even from minute to minute- turn from the bad in our own
        wills. It is an ongoing fight, but that is what conversatio morum
        means, "conversion of manner of life"! As Benedictines we will-
        indeed, must- always be straining against the negative goad, always
        be seeking the place of greater light and good.

        The will of God is frequently very hard to see. For some of us, at
        some times, it is all but impossible to see, but we must pray for the grace to
        do so. There will always be times when we must trundle along blindly, without our