Holy Rule for Sept. 27

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers for Fr. Vincent, Br. Vincent, St. Vincent's Archabbey and all our Vincents on their feastday. May St. Vincent de Pal inspire us all with a deeper love of God and His poor.

      Prayers for the will of God regarding the situation with monks and soldiers in Burma.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who care for them:

      Christopher, 27, in the advanced stages of cardiomyopathy. He will need a heart transplant.

      Continued prayers for Bernice, her problem is worsening, also for Marie still in need of prayer.

      Anne, recovering from an operation.

      Tony, young father of three, surgery for thyroid cancer and not doing well. Radiation set for 6-8 weeks from now and he really needs to get back to work to support his financially stressed family.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent praise Him. Thanks so much. JL

      Let a man consider
      that God is always looking at him from heaven,
      that his actions are everywhere visible to the divine eyes
      and are constantly being reported to God by the Angels.
      This is what the Prophet shows us
      when he represents God as ever present within our thoughts,
      in the words "Searcher of minds and hearts is God" (Ps. 7:10)
      and again in the words "The Lord knows the thoughts of men" (Ps.
      93:11).
      Again he says,
      "You have read my thoughts from afar" (Ps. 138:3)
      and "The thoughts of people will confess to You" (Ps. 75:11).

      In order that he may be careful
      about his wrongful thoughts, therefore,
      let the faithful brother say constantly in his heart,
      "Then shall I be spotless before Him,
      if I have kept myself from my iniquity" (Ps. 17:24).

      REFLECTION

      One of the things I always wanted to get for Dame Maggie, my late
      cat, was a bird feeder that I saw. Picture an air conditioner put in
      a window backwards, with the protrusion inside. It was like that, but
      rather like an aquarium made of one way mirrors. The birds, all
      unwitting, came INSIDE to dine in that mirrored cube and I'll bet she
      would have loved it. Alas, the price was out of the question.

      Ah, how like those birds we are! Unfortunately, we CAN afford the
      cubes of mirrored walls all to easily: we create them ourselves, with
      our own illusions and ignorance and forgetfulness. We live and move
      in the falsity that we are unobserved. We forget altogether that God
      and His angels see us in every moment, in every place.

      Ever look over your shoulder to see if the boss was around? Ever
      relax because your parent or spouse was gone to the store and you had
      at least an hour of privacy? Most of us have. Kids behave differently
      (a LOT differently!!) when the teacher is out of the classroom or has
      turned away from them. We are conditioned to monitor our behavior
      according to who is or is not present.

      The trouble with God (if one dares put it that way,) is that He is
      always in the office, never leaves the classroom or turns His back
      and never goes to the store. Faced with that truth, we defend
      ourselves with the only foolish thing we have left: forgetful denial.
      Well, sorry, beloveds, that denial gives us no "privacy" from God,
      it is false, totally false.

      He doesn't leave. He's always there. The spiritual world is all about us
      at every second, every instant. Sometimes we would rather not credit the
      fact, but that in no way makes it otherwise. It's a big mistake to
      think of the omnipresence of God as outdated, as something that
      happened "back then" but not now. That omnipresence never changes.

      As the poet Francis Thompson put it:

      "The angels keep their ancient places,
      Turn but a stone and start a wing!
      'Tis we, 'tis our estranged faces
      That miss the many splendored thing."

      Now, what is all this doing in a chapter on humility? Easy! We can be
      proud if we think we are not found out. The child who deals with a
      teacher who hasn't seen is a VERY different kid from the one who has
      been caught! We HAVE to be humble if we admit we have been caught. We
      have to remind ourselves that nothing happens in secret and that our track
      record is hardly so sterling as the one we would like to present to the
      world. Humility is truth, truth is the correct accordance of the mind with reality.
      And the reality is that we all fall regularly!

      Ever hear married or partnered folks talk about things they quit
      doing when no longer single? They thought they were alone before!
      Ever have the illusion of privacy yourself, like just before shower
      with the door firmly closed. Ha! Thought you were alone, didn't you?
      Sigh... it is so deep in us!

      Now, look, this is not to get you crazy about video cameras in every
      place. (Look how used we are to them, in fact!) The whole purpose
      here is just to get us more in tune with reality and the reality is
      that we could always be better. So there comes conversion of manners,
      that other Benedictine vow: we must never stop striving to be better.
      Face it, m'dears, we live and move and have our being in the banquet
      hall of the greatest King! Whether we credit that or not, it is so.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for our Br. Vincent, on his feastday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos! Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Vincent Crawford, of St. Leo Abbey (+1980) and for St. Vincent Archabbey and all its monks and Oblates. Prayers for Fr. Vincent Morton. Many blessings for all our Vincents.

        Prayers for our postulant, Tim, on his birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos. May he always follow God’s will.

        Prayers for a woman abused and abandoned by her mother in childhood, who is now caring for her mom in her old age. Prayers that she learns to love her mother more, and that she learns how different loving is from liking. Prayers that they both learn and grow from this time living together.

        Prayers for someone abused by a priest as a teen, who is badly wanting to meet with the Bishop, but roadblocks are being put in the way of that. Prayers they may meet and much healing and resolution may be the result.

        Prayers that all goes well for Sal, seeing a surgeon about a hernia problem and also for his cardiac problems.

        Prayers for Keith, in his 50’s and battling Parkinson’s disease for several years, his condition is worsening. Prayers, too, for his wife, Julie, taking a leave of absence from work to care for him and for all their family. May God grant them grace and strength to see some light and hope and relief.

        Prayers of healing for Gavriel, mental health crisis so severe that he may have to drop out of his first year of college. Prayers, too, for all his worried family.

        Prayers for Pam, 84,  having hernia surgery, for a successful operation and speedy recovery with no complications.

        Prayers for justice and a good lawyer for Kamilla, who was raped and is facing two separate court issues. Prayers, too, for her mother, sister and brother-in-law, who are having difficult times with life.

[...]

        record is not so sterling as the one we would like to present to the