Holy Rule for Sept. 22

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Robert, newly diagnosed as legally blind, and for Ann Marie, his wife. Prayers for Mary Frances, having tests, and for John and his family and business. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL

      January 22, May 23, September 22
      Chapter 5: On Obedience

      The first degree of humility is obedience without delay.
      This is the virtue of those
      who hold nothing dearer to them than Christ;
      who, because of the holy service they have professed,
      and the fear of hell,
      and the glory of life everlasting,
      as soon as anything has been ordered by the Superior,
      receive it as a divine command
      and cannot suffer any delay in executing it.
      Of these the Lord says,
      "As soon as he heard, he obeyed Me" (Ps. 17:45).
      And again to teachers He says,
      "He who hears you, hears Me" (Luke 10:16).

      Such as these, therefore,
      immediately leaving their own affairs
      and forsaking their own will,
      dropping the work they were engaged on
      and leaving it unfinished,
      with the ready step of obedience
      follow up with their deeds the voice of him who commands.
      And so as it were at the same moment
      the master's command is given
      and the disciple's work is completed,
      the two things being speedily accomplished together
      in the swiftness of the fear of God
      by those who are moved
      with the desire of attaining life everlasting.
      That desire is their motive for choosing the narrow way,
      of which the Lord says,
      "Narrow is the way that leads to life" (Matt. 7:14),
      so that,
      not living according to their own choice
      nor obeying their own desires and pleasures
      but walking by another's judgment and command,
      they dwell in monasteries and desire to have an Abbot over them.
      Assuredly such as these are living up to that maxim of the Lord
      in which He says,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).

      REFLECTION

      Ever wonder what was so great about obedience? I sure have and I
      vowed it, still wondering a bit. What is so hot about dumping our own
      wills? Sometimes our wills are innocent, sometimes they're even
      downright good. Let's be truthful, sometimes our own wills seem even
      BETTER than the choices presented to us by other circumstances. What
      gives?

      Good rhetorical question, that one: what GIVES. Genuine obedience is
      a gift, to God and to all His people. Make the monastic better and
      you have made the home or monastery better, and so the neighborhood,
      the city, the state and onwards to the whole world. We forget the
      ripple effect, because we cannot clearly see it. We are not giving
      that gift to falsehood, but to truth.

      Every exercise of that gift heightens truth in the world, and Jesus
      is the Truth. There is a very incarnational aspect of obedience. Like
      Mary, we are, in our own halt and lame, partial ways, birthing God.
      In our actions alone can Christ today become visibly human, in our
      tiniest drop of fresh water, the sea becomes less salty, the desert,
      less dry. No one can make the Sahara a rain forest alone, and God
      knows that, but He wants us to try, to be part of the solution, not
      the problem. Enough drops together WOULD make the Sahara bloom.

      Obedience and humility are conjoined twins which share one heart:
      both will die if they are separated. Humility, in its healthiest
      perfection, is truth and that truth births bits of God into the
      world, confetti mosaics that the wind of the Spirit can blow into
      fuller, more accurate portraits. Yes, humility is the most often
      mentioned of connections, but the root of humility is truth and the
      root of truth is God.

      All of us spend large portions of our lives carefully building a
      false self, who lives in a false world, with matching false
      imperatives. Merton speaks of this false self again and again. The
      goal of monastic struggle is to uncover and nurture the TRUE self,
      the true world view and values.

      We often cheerfully ignore the real imperatives of God and life,
      substituting our own and elevating them to a level they truthfully
      (literally!) do not deserve. It's a moral displacement activity. We fail
      altogether in one area, so we compensate by raising another. Trouble
      is, the other one raised is false. Sigh... As Merton also once said:
      "Round and round the mulberry bush..."

      Give a good parent a critically ill child and you will find out
      what's true or important in a hurry. Everything gets dropped at once,
      without hesitation or care. Everything. Give a single person a really
      bad case of the flu and you will soon find imperatives pared to very
      few. (The flu or any illness is a superlative teacher: if it doesn't
      matter when you're that sick, it usually doesn't matter, period!)

      The sentiment is not mine originally, but I have often said that the
      truly neat thing about being HIV+ is that it hit me over the head
      with a 2x4 board and woke me up to a fact that is true for all of us:
      I'm gonna die. Big deal. Didn't happen when I thought it would, may
      not for a long time, I'm quite healthy, but I'm gonna die. So are
      you. Who knows when? Maybe both of us by lunch and neither of us from
      AIDS!

      See what obedience points us toward? Obedience says: here is the
      truth. Embrace it now, don't wait for the threatened child or the
      ghastly flu or HIV to scare you into appropriate action. The truth
      we only see in crisis is here all along. Keep what you have learned
      from crisis. Live it all the time. Make it a gift, because it is one
      that will enrich others AND yourself!

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2016

        +PAX

        I am deeply pleased to tell you all that my biopsies on my vocal chords were negative, no trace of cancer and I don’t have to follow up. Thanks for all your prayers. I know I was surrounded by them!

        Some of my posts from yesterday did not make it clear that both Fr. Alejo and Fr. Jose were priests, I omitted to give the title “Fr.” In the plural. Continued prayers for their eternal rest and for the conversion of whoever killed them.

        Prayers for our Fr. Dunstan, on his birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

        Our Petersham Oblate, Joyce fell recently, and broke her wrist and nose; she suffered a couple of cuts and abrasions as well.  This on top of Parkinsons and scoliosis.  Joyce is home and resting but frustrated and in much pain.  She cares for her older sister, who has dementia, so Joyce’s well-being is vital. Joyce quite regularly writes asking prayers for others, now it is time for all of us to pray for her.

        Prayers for James, on his birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos.

        Prayers for Craig who passed away after a valiant battle against several medical issues, may God grant him pardon and peace and welcome him home. Prayers for his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Dom Gordon's Dad, on the anniversary of his death, and for Dom Gordon's health, prayers, too, for all their family and all who mourn his Dad.

        Prayers for Abbot General Diego Rosa of the Olivetan Congregation OSB, re-elected for another term. Prayers for his ministry and all the Olivetans.

        Prayers for Fr. Jacob’s mother, having knee replacement surgery, for successful surgery and a speedy and full recovery.

        Prayers for Fred, who is having a biopsy Monday for cancer.

        Prayers for Laura and Bob who are having marital problems.

[...]

        altogether in one area, so we compensate by raising another. Sigh... As Merton
        also once said: "Round and round the mulberry bush..."

        Give a good parent a critically ill child and you will find out
        what's true or important in a hurry. Everything gets dropped at once,
        without hesitation or care. Everything. Give a single person a really
        bad case of the flu and you will soon find imperatives pared to very
        few.

        See what obedience points us toward? Obedience says: here is the
        truth. Embrace it now, don't wait for the threatened child or the
        ghastly flu to scare you into appropriate action. The truth

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 21

          +PAX

          Prayers for our Fr. Dunstan, on his birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

          Prayers for Jessica, that she return to the Church and Sacraments, and for her child to be educated in the Faith.

          Please pray for Amy, that her twins have an increase in birth weight as they are presently underweight for their gestational age. They are about 32 weeks.

          Please pray for the soul of Amy, killed in a road accident on Tuesday. And please pray for her husband Mark and children Oliver (9) and Phoebe (5), and their wider family and friends. Also for all at the children's school who are trying to support the bereaved children and their friends.

          Prayers, please, for Fr. J., overworked this last week with a lot of ministry and no change in sight until mid-October. Prayers that God blesses all his many duties with grace and fruitfulness.

          Please pray for safe travel and a pleasant trip for Krista and Don.

          Prayers, please,  for Erica, she has a serious cancer, which has spread to her lungs, and is the hospital with bleeding in her brain. Many prayers needed here.

          Prayers for the following:

          For Gabriel, having treatment for Barrett's oesophagus

          For Jo F, aged 95, in hospital with pneumonia and for Dave and his family. She has returned to the faith and asked for a Rosary, which Dave has sent.

          For continued prayers for Martin L, recovering from a prostate operation.

          For the Legion of Mary in Holbeach, Lincs, that they may be given more members to effectively evangelize in the parish.

          For M, who the Legion visits. He is suffering with anxiety issues and physical illness.

          For Val, suffering a hip operation which did not go according to plan. For a full and speedy recovery.

          Continued prayers please for Robbie, Doreen, Sarah, Jim, and Bill for whom we prayed.

          For all the people of Puerto Rico affected by the hurricane, especially the Jordan family and Garcia-Sosa family.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Dom Gordon's Dad, on the anniversary of his death, and for Dom Gordon, for all their family and all who mourn his Dad.

          For the people in Mexico, New Zealand and other areas hit by strong earthquakes past few days.

          For the eternal rest of Fathers Alejo  and José, who were kidnapped and killed in Mexico, and for their families and all who mourn them.

[...]

          Many of us spend large portions of our lives carefully building a