Holy Rule for Sept. 15

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2007

      Prayers for the spiritual, physical and mental health of the following, for all their families and for all those who treat or care for them:

      Fr. Brian, second heart surgery in June of this year. He has Bronchitis/Pneumonia which is very serious for heart patients.

      Marjorie, breast cancer 11 years ago, now multiple symptoms and awaiting tests and consults.

      Brian, her son, bipolar, alcohol addiction and unable to find a job for a year now.

      Kristin, due to deliver a son on Oct. 31 but had to be hospitlized to try to prevent premature birth and for her docor husband, who is very worried about her serious condition.

      Deo gratias for Dianne: negative colonoscopy results.

      Prayers for Alfredo and his wife, Gigi. He has an interview to enter the permanent diaconate program soon. Prayers for Khymi, a recovering drug addict and single Mom who just graduated with highest honors from junior college and is now headed for either Harvard of Boston University on a scholarship. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Above all let her not neglect or undervalue
      the welfare of the souls committed to her,
      in a greater concern for fleeting, earthly, perishable things;
      but let her always bear in mind
      that she has undertaken the government of souls
      and that she will have to give an account of them.
      And if she be tempted to allege a lack of earthly means,
      let her remember what is written:
      "First seek the kingdom of God and His justice,
      and all these things shall be given you besides" (Ps. 33:10).
      And again:
      "Nothing is wanting to those who fear Him."
      Let her know, then,
      that she who has undertaken the government of souls
      must prepare herself to render an account of them.
      Whatever number of sisters she knows she has under her care,
      she may be sure beyond doubt that on Judgment Day
      she will have to give the Lord an account of all these souls,
      as well as of her own soul.
      Thus the constant apprehension
      about her coming examination as shepherd (Ezech. 34)
      concerning the sheep entrusted to her,
      and her anxiety over the account that must be given for others,
      make her careful of her own record.
      And while by her admonitions she is helping others to amend,
      she herself is cleansed of her faults.

      REFLECTION

      There are two beautiful lessons for us non-abbatial types in this
      chapter. The first is a Benedictine view of material goods and the
      second consoles us that teaching will hopefully also teach the
      teacher!

      The Benedictine view of property is neither complete nor correct
      without the principle invoked here. Yes, later on we hear that all
      the goods of the monastery must be regarded as if they were sacred
      vessels of the altar (and that includes our planet, folks!) We also
      hear a lot of attentive prescriptions about poverty and ownership.
      Either of these made dogma without the third principle will spell
      trouble. That third principle, enunciated here, is "people first,
      things later; don't sweat the small stuff and things are ALWAYS small
      stuff by comparison to souls."

      This adds a perfect balance to Benedictine theology of creation. Ours
      is the organic permaculture of souls and bodies and the planet which
      nourishes both. I would be the first to sadly admit that, both
      corporately and individually, we have a LONG way to go before
      realizing this perfect theology, even partially.

      Nevertheless, it is there and it is our ideal. The Reign of God is of
      necessity our only imperative for preserving all we can. We do so
      because all things were created to further and serve that Divine
      purpose: the salvation of all, willed by God and the towering human
      dignity of each which is won by the creative act of God and the
      saving act of Jesus' death for all.

      Ecology stripped of true Christian personalism is as hopelessly
      pathetic as a rampant materialism that sees every created thing only
      in terms of exploitation for profit. It often piques me to see news
      stories of people rushing to the beach in crowds to save beached
      whales, when many of those so touched seem not to care at all
      about the homeless who die on our streets every day. I'm no enemy of
      whales, but caring for humans must come first. It is not an either/or
      question, it must be the Zen mind of both.

      One is not complete without the other. Loving life and living things
      really is a seamless garment. Nothing less than the whole will do! We
      care for and nurture things because they care for and nurture an intricate
      web of which we are the prominent part. Caring for human life and
      trashing the environment is a mistaken joke. But so is caring for the
      environment while figuring human beings are pretty much on their own!

      We must never support the lie that humanity is free to waste and
      plunder, but we must never forget, either, that humanity, warts and
      all, is undeniably the crown and apex and zenith of the Reign of God.
      The feeling, loving heart of a right-minded ecology can only be found
      in a right-minded love of humanity. Every divorce of these two is
      perilous.

      A good Benedictine will go to careful lengths to avoid damaging or
      breaking things, but will treat it lightly if someone else
      does by accident: "Oh, that's no big deal. I'll tend to it later."
      or "This I can replace, YOU I cannot. Don`t worry about it." See what
      I mean? We must be personally very careful of things, but we must
      never make others feel small, and least of all in the name of
      temporal goods.

      The other gem buried here is learning from teaching. Anyone who has
      ever taught 5th grade science will tell you that it will teach you
      more than the average person at a party knows about the topic.
      (Unless the party is given at Massachusetts Institute of Technology!)
      It will remind you of a great deal of basic information that you have
      long forgotten. Teaching, ideally, keeps one up to date on a subject.
      If teaching alone doesn't do that, the questions of the students
      usually will!

      Teaching, however, is nothing more than a lofty form of doing right.
      Doing right by the created world around us will teach us in ways we
      never dreamed possible. The love and care I have given our chickens
      have taught me volumes in fast order. And, in point of complementary
      fact, our chickens have reduced guesthouse food waste to nearly
      zero! That makes me feel better about them, better about me and
      better about the world. The chickens and I are treading a bit more
      gently on the planet, Deo gratias!!

      Hopefully, it will be the same with any of us who are helping others
      on the road to spiritual growth. We will learn by teaching, by doing,
      by helping. Hopefully, we will also be taught- and maybe sometimes
      shamed- by our own words and deeds!