Brother Jerome Reflection on the Holy Rule Sept 2

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2007

      Please pray for Roxanne who is having a troubled pregnancy and is in
      hospital.

      Please continue to pray for, Launetta Hostkoetter, mother of Fr.
      Paul Hostkoetter, Obl. OSB
      who is in Hospice and now having some additional complications as
      she prepares to go home to be with Our Lord and Raymond (her husband
      and Fr. Pauls's father), who died 19 months ago. Prayers too for our
      good Father Paul. May our holy Father St. Benedict smooth his brow
      and bring him peace.

      Please pray for Kathy Prunier, 58; stage 4 lung cancer. By God's
      will, her recovery.

      Please pray for Gregory's mother, Bette Pyne, recovering from hip
      replacement and having some difficulty with her rehab. May God
      give her, her son Gregory, and her family caring for her, strength.

      Please pray for a special intention.

      Deo Gratias! for all of the prayers offered for Loris, who had open
      heart surgery to repair his aortic valve. It seems the infection
      caused preforations in the valve. The cause of the infection was
      from an ankle replacement he had in Feb. 2007. His daughter
      Desirae, her husband and child were able to go and see him as it was
      determined that she would not be affected by the infection. She is
      4 months pregnant.

      Please continue prays for Jane's father. The oncologist's report is
      not good. The tumor is a glioblastoma multiform. He starts rehab
      tomorrow. For those of you who receive this who are Catholic,
      please go to the link below and print out the Novena to St.
      Peregrine - he's the patron saint for cancer patients.
      http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/novena/peregrine.htm

      Please pray for Michelle, beginning treatment for Hepatitis C;
      Emily, cancer; Joe V. Diabetes; Kurt alcohol and drug addiction;
      Dave H, Leukemia.

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have
      taken their own lives.+
      Please pray for all those whose prayer requests were not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers
      are never, ever late. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Until the return of our good Brother Jerome please bless me with
      your prayer requests at:
      michael_oblate@...

      January 2, May 3, September 2
      Prologue

      Let us arise, then, at last,
      for the Scripture stirs us up, saying,
      "Now is the hour for us to rise from sleep" (Rom. 18:11).
      Let us open our eyes to the deifying light,
      let us hear with attentive ears
      the warning which the divine voice cries daily to us,
      "Today if you hear His voice,
      harden not your hearts" (Ps. 94:8).
      And again,
      "Whoever has ears to hear,
      hear what the Spirit says to the churches" (Matt. 11-15; Apoc. 2:7).
      And what does He say?
      "Come, My children, listen to Me;
      I will teach you the fear of the Lord" (Ps. 33:12).
      "Run while you have the light of life,
      lest the darkness of death overtake you" (John 12:35).

      REFLECTION

      St. Benedict, just by virtue of the period in which he lived, would
      have been rather more attuned to the Eastern Church Fathers than
      many in the West are today. Not for nothing does he also recommend
      St. Basil's Rule to his monastics! Given all this, the
      phrase "deifying light", which probably strikes most Westerners as
      just a lovely bit of poetry, would ring altogether different bells
      in Eastern minds, and may well have rung those bells in the mind of
      St. Benedict himself.

      Deification, the process of humanity becoming more God-like, is a
      central theme of Eastern spirituality, a favorite theme of the
      Fathers and a big central issue in Eastern monasticism. The whole
      idea of the Incarnation is viewed as God becoming Man so that man
      could be deified. (Don't take that term "deified" literally. The
      idea was that people became God-like, participated in His wondrous
      Being, not that they literally became gods!) But there was a
      profound awareness of grace allowing us to share in God's life and
      to become ever more
      like Him, of being ever more intimately united with the Triune
      Life. Put another way, the East would say that we were created in
      the image and likeness of God, but we have lost the likeness.
      Deification, monastic struggle, the spiritual life, all of these
      strive to regain
      that likeness. We so often speak of balance, but what does that
      balance entail? It is this very deification, it is the closest
      attempt we can make to restore the rightness of Eden. It is our
      halt and lame effort to become what God intended us to be, as
      closely as we can in a fallen world.

      So, as we continue our loving Father's pep talk at the beginning of
      his Holy Rule, let us resolve to never again let that
      phrase "deifying light" slip past our eyes as just another literary
      device. No way! Deification and Light are what we are all about.
      Shine on, dear brothers and sisters, shine on!

      Jeromeleo@...