Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Aug 20

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2007

      Please pray for Gary (18) and headed for Boot Camp at Fort Benning;
      first time away from home

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have
      taken their own lives.+

      Please pray for all those whose prayer requests were not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers
      are never, ever late. Lord, help us
      all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and
      grace. God is

      Until the return of our good Brother Jerome please bless me with
      your prayer requests at:
      michael_oblate@...

      April 20, August 20, December 20
      Chapter 64: On Constituting an Abbess

      In the constituting of an Abbess let this plan always be followed,
      that the office be conferred on the one who is chosen either by the
      whole community unanimously in the fear of God
      or else by a part of the community, however small, if its counsel is
      more wholesome.

      Merit of life and wisdom of doctrine should determine the choice of
      the one to be constituted, even if she be the last of the order of
      the community.

      But if (which God forbid) the whole community should agree to choose
      a person
      who will acquiesce in their vices, and if those vices somehow become
      known to the Bishop
      to whose diocese the place belongs, or to the Abbots, Abbesses or
      the faithful of the vicinity, let them prevent the success of this
      conspiracy of the wicked, and set a worthy steward over the house of
      God. They may be sure that they will receive a good reward for this
      action if they do it with a pure intention and out of zeal for God;
      as, on the contrary, they will sin if they fail to do it.

      REFLECTION

      Let me hasten to assure you that, in Abbot Hugh of Pluscarden, we
      have such a wonderful father that I proudly forwarded this
      reflection to him
      the first time it ran. Ad multos annos!!

      There is an old monastic saying that holds that "The community gets
      the Abbot it deserves and the vocations it deserves." Like most
      generalizations, this one has kernels of both falsity and truth.
      Heresy is obviously taking a small truth and making it the only truth
      and this is no different. It is rash (even if sometimes seemingly
      handy!) to simplify the inscrutable workings of the Holy Spirit, of
      our all-merciful God and His love into such a small compartment of
      phrase!

      However, there IS that kernel of truth! I have certainly lived
      through times at St. Leo and seen them elsewhere which gave
      frightening credence to one or both halves of the axiom! There is a
      human side to these things, God DOES use human means to accomplish
      His perfect Will and we, let us face it, are far from perfect
      ourselves!

      On that human side of things, like does tend to attract like. A
      house where holiness is at least frequent, if not common, is likely
      to elect an Abbot good and holy enough to nurture that.
      Unfortunately, houses often elect one Abbot to counterbalance the
      effects, not
      always delightful, of a predecessor, so a lot of things come into
      play here. A house where holiness abounds is likely to attract holy
      vocations. This is also sadly true of some mediocre situations. I
      have long felt that God has chosen a WIDE diversity of monastic
      observance so that all those He calls could find a slot somewhere.

      The sad truth that the saying does NOT address is that even good and
      holy houses are thirsting badly for vocations these days. Something
      else, something other, something strange has been added to imbalance
      the equation and no one can be sure just what. Pray, pray with all
      your hearts for vocations, good and holy vocations to the monastic
      life on every level, as monks, as nuns, as Oblates. With our dimmed
      vision looking through glasses darkly, we can neither see nor know
      perfectly what wonders of His Will God is working now, much less
      why! Just pray for His Will for all of us!